I no longer have anything to motivate me, but I haven't reached my goal weight.

Options

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    We are all in this together. Right now I'm playing the role of Eeyore...

Made me laugh at least :)
  • bonnielee708
    bonnielee708 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @PrincessTinyHeart Re not buying the minute we get the idea we want something is a great question and one I am not sure how to answer easily but it may be easier because I am a self-employed writer and my husband runs a creative video shop. We both have decent by unpredictable revenue flowing in, so we are afraid to spend cash, just in case market tanks or exchanges rates move the wrong way. If we want something for us, not for work, it is a big deal. How will it affect our ability to pay taxes or cover a dry spell? So it is really a treat when we buy something just for us.

But, given your age and some of the things you are saying about motivation, maybe you are peri-menopausal? Perhaps you should talk to your doctor and see if hormone shifts are part of the challenge you are having now--such changes have made it hard for me to stay focused and motivated.

Just a thought.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Feh... my husband doesn't care if I wear a bikini or not. Even that isn't a motivator.

I might try doing a diet bet. I don't have the money to go on a vacation or anything like that. Maybe the fear of losing what little I do have might force me to lose the extra weight.

I do some exercise, but it's a chore and nothing more. It doesn't help me feel better mentally. I go to the gym and do cardio... I lift weights but nothing heavy yet. I go for walks. But it's just sort of a maintenance chore for me. I have resigned myself to the fact that it's what I have to do to keep from getting fat again. That's why I wonder if I have a really low endorphin level... or whatever the chemical is that makes people feel good after exercise.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried Charity walks. Even if the workout does not make you feel good, maybe doing it for a good cause will.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Do you have really cool gym clothes? Enjoy the music they play there? Like the shampoo they have in the showers in the locker room?
  • PrincessTinyheart
    Options
    sounds like external motivation - sports, bikini etc isn't for you - is there anything internal motivation that will help you - because otherwise you are essentially just whining

It probably is whining (no, that's not my internal motivation, LOL). I can either whine out loud and try to figure things out, or whine internally and get nowhere. This is my process for trying to figure out what my internal motivation is. I don't know at this point. That's why I posted this.

• PrincessTinyheart
    Options
    Do you have really cool gym clothes? Enjoy the music they play there? Like the shampoo they have in the showers in the locker room?

Yeah, I like my gym clothes. I don't listen to the music they play there because I listen to my own... I am always making new, fresh playlists to listen to and this keeps me distracted to a certain extent. They don't offer shampoo so I bring my own :)
  • PrincessTinyheart
    Options

Sounds more like a mid life crisis than an issue with your weight

I have actually considered this to be a possibility, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

• PrincessTinyheart
    Options
    Have you ever tried Charity walks. Even if the workout does not make you feel good, maybe doing it for a good cause will.

Yeah, I do those every so often. In fact, I just did one a few weeks ago (for mental health awareness - the irony is not lost on me). The walks are surprisingly short... they last maybe 20-30 ininutes, tops. the first time I did one, I did not realize this, and prepared myself for something around 5K... one time around a block and it was all over. LOL.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    In the end, you have to do what makes you happy. Personally, I mostly hate exercising because for me, with COPD, it can be incredibly uncomfortable and I am always breathless. However, I made it my goal to strive for fitness and strength because the alternative is going into my later years without the core strength to protect my joints. I have been informed by several in the fitness industry that it is very important as you get older to do everything you can to maintain muscle and so that is my goal. I want to do all I can to avoid later issues with my joints and bones. Of course, I also want to do all I can to slow down the progress of my lung disease which is another big motivating factor.

I am also a creative person who loves books, art, embroidery and the gentler things in life but I found that keeping fit is a very good way of improving mood and I suppose, in contrast to you, I am quite competitive.

Maybe your goal should simply be to do all you can to preserve and improve your health because in the end, we cannot get back our health once we have lost it and we never know when something will come along that will require us to be in peak health.
  • ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You said that you like to garden. Is there something that you haven't gotten for your garden that you could put money aside for as a reward? Maybe a raised garden bed or a greenhouse? You could put $20 in the bank for every pound lost, At the end of the 20 pounds you would have $400 saved for something big. I don't know where you live, so this might not work.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Could work, yeah.

I would always recommend finding an activity that appeals to you enough for you to want to improve at it. It doesn't have to be competitive, just something that will give you immense satisfaction. The sky's the limit: ballet, rock climbing, gymnastics routines, contemporary dance, picking up heavy things and putting them down again, roller derby, martial arts, or pole dancing.
  • PrincessTinyheart
    Options
    You said that you like to garden. Is there something that you haven't gotten for your garden that you could put money aside for as a reward? Maybe a raised garden bed or a greenhouse? You could put $20 in the bank for every pound lost, At the end of the 20 pounds you would have $400 saved for something big. I don't know where you live, so this might not work.

I don't have the discipline for this. In the past, I have tried the whole monetary rewards system... the problem is, I just go ahead and spend the money on myself whether I meet my goal or not :smiley: LOL If I have the money, it will get spent.
  • shan11180
    shan11180 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried dietbet? https://www.dietbet.com/

You bet on a goal (can be as little as $20) but the money received when attaining your goal is MUCH more than your original bet. (The pot is split up between all the 'winners') Maybe someone already recommended this and I didn't see the thread, but thought I'd throw it out there. :smile: