Tips & Tricks: Food Hacks

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Mandunc wrote: »
    I made an amazing lasagna using Butternut Squash sheets rather than lasagna noodles. I was expecting it to be horrible (I'm not a veggie lover) but it was amazing. I'd almost say better than normal lasagna. Will be making it again for sure. I bought them from Tesco. As long as they make them I will be experimenting with them for more recipies

I was thinking of trying this with zucchini, but I think I like the idea of butternut squash better (flavor wise).

Also, the zuke tends to cook to mush by the time the sauce & cheese get bubbly.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I made an amazing lasagna using Butternut Squash sheets rather than lasagna noodles. I was expecting it to be horrible (I'm not a veggie lover) but it was amazing. I'd almost say better than normal lasagna. Will be making it again for sure. I bought them from Tesco. As long as they make them I will be experimenting with them for more recipies

I was thinking of trying this with zucchini, but I think I like the idea of butternut squash better (flavor wise).

Good to know, because that would be a real turn off. I wonder if the same thing happens with eggplant.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If I want a really big plate of food for not a lot of calories, I go with spaghetti squash with mushroom sauce. Both of those are shockingly low in calories and very filling.
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2017
    Options

Good to know, because that would be a real turn off. I wonder if the same thing happens with eggplant.

Not quite as bad, and the eggplant's rich flavor is some compensation, unlike the mild zucchini. Maybe cut eggplant on the thicker side (1/2"+). Or cut the eggplant in half, hollow it some, and stuff/top the eggplant with the sauce/cheese instead.

Edited to add: One think I haven't tried, but should, is semi-dehydrating the eggplant slices in a slow oven before subbing them for the pasta.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

When you say 'butternut squash sheets' do you mean you sliced a butternut squash thinly or is this a premade product that you bought? Was it just squash or was there some type of flour added?
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Isn't that almost moussaka? So should work ok?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

I've made it with eggplant that I roasted first. It was DELICIOUS. Since the eggplant was pre-roasted, it didn't get overly mushy.

Edit: I see someone asked about the eggplant. I sliced thick and pre-roasted for about 20 minutes. Worked a treat.
  • bernadettenz
    bernadettenz Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I love mashed potatoes. I need a huge mound of mash on my plate or it just doesn't cut it for me. I would easily eat 300gm mash with meat and veges.
    But I also love baby minted peas. So now I weigh 100 to 150gms of mashed potatoes and mix in 90gm of peas and I have a huge mound of delicious mashed potato on my plate.
    That's my best yummy food hack that I have been doing for years now.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    smh_cliff wrote: »

Isn't that almost moussaka? So should work ok?

Maybe slightly like moussaka, but that usually has bechamel in it, so comes out a slightly more souffle-ish texture, vs. the lasagna formula potentially coming out heavier/mushier.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Just eat the foods you enjoy and fit them into your calorie, micro, macro allotment. No need for hacks, cheats, etc...

Yeah that's not always doable unfortunately. On a typical day, eating what I enjoy, I can reach 2500 calories easily, and on an active day my TDEE is around 2400.

That's a control issue not a caloric one...

I agree, but sometimes if I'm craving mcdonalds, 3 junior chickens, fries, and water is just enough to hit my calorie count for the day (close to 1500). Personally, i have the self-control to do this. However, 6-calorie jello, diet soda (aspartame-free), 4 plates of zucchini noodles, with 50 small shrimps and spices, shredded low-calorie mozzarella, a medium plate of skinny pop popcorn, a 20-calorie popsicle, and a fiber one bar is much more filling and tastes pretty damn good. It's also less than a 1000 calories btw. Just saying XD

Well you could just have one junior chicken (what is it anyway?) instead of 3.

Just eat the foods you enjoy and fit them into your calorie, micro, macro allotment. No need for hacks, cheats, etc...

Yeah that's not always doable unfortunately. On a typical day, eating what I enjoy, I can reach 2500 calories easily, and on an active day my TDEE is around 2400.

That's a control issue not a caloric one...

No, not really. When you really want cheesecake, unless you're a weirdo who's actually satisfied with a couple bites, good luck fitting 800+ non filling calories in your day if you're on a 1400 calories meal plan (even only 400 calories of cheesecake really isn't a big serving, lol).

That's what bothers me about the 'eat what you want within your calories'. It's just impossible to do for some people, because they only like high calorie foods that are not necessarily filling. Sometimes, a diet change IS necessary.

if you can't eat a small piece of cheesecake and be satisfied with it then yes, that is a control issue...sorry, but that is the truth...

nice straw man argument about fitting in 800 non filling calories into a 1400 calorie day. When people say eat what you like, it means meet your other goals first and then eat what you like with the REMAINING calories...

I find cheesecake very filling for the calories (maybe all that fat is a satiety key for me ;)?)

If I ate 800 calories of cheesecake for breakfast, I'm probably still full by lunch and can have all the zucchini and shrimp that I want for dinner :P ;)
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Not quite as bad, and the eggplant's rich flavor is some compensation, unlike the mild zucchini. Maybe cut eggplant on the thicker side (1/2"+). Or cut the eggplant in half, hollow it some, and stuff/top the eggplant with the sauce/cheese instead.

Edited to add: One think I haven't tried, but should, is semi-dehydrating the eggplant slices in a slow oven before subbing them for the pasta.

Thank you. These are good ideas.
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    Loool I just like eating large volumes of food and enjoy food hacks XD Don't see why it's supposedly wrong for me to have my own low calorie recipes because I like eating a big meal. Sometimes it's not just about working hard, it's about working smart. Regarding 3 junior chickens to reach my calorie count... as much as it tastes amazing, it's loaded with sugars, sodium, and sauces to make you even hungrier. That's why I mix it with water and don't eat it all the time ;)
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    spzjlb wrote: »
    Of course pasta is not evil. Some people really desire more food volume....
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    and that's fine but now I wonder about the volume eating...seriously who needs to eat 4 big plates of anything?
    crazyravr wrote: »
    <- This guy.

Me too. I'm a volume eater for sure, and sadly, I'm not a 20 year old, 6' male with a 3,000 calorie limit. Finding ways to eat more volume with fewer calories helps me stay on track.

preachh
  • yweight1969
    yweight1969 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    To each his or her own and I'm diabetic also but some of these substitutions are just gross to me, and I've tried to many to name. And not every diabetic can control their diabetes and eat pasta, I can occasionally. But I agree with sezxystef if you can eat the regular pasta an sugar in your coffee or burger buns for that matter do it in moderation. I can't do the weird fake noodles or fake out veggie noodles, good for those who can. I'll eat my veggies but just not in that way. Lean meats, low fat dairy, veggies, fruit and grains all in moderation.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »
    Of course pasta is not evil. Some people really desire more food volume....
    and that's fine but now I wonder about the volume eating...seriously who needs to eat 4 big plates of anything?
    crazyravr wrote: »
    <- This guy.

Me too. I'm a volume eater for sure, and sadly, I'm not a 20 year old, 6' male with a 3,000 calorie limit. Finding ways to eat more volume with fewer calories helps me stay on track.

my point is this...what is the drive for volume eating...seriously.

to me it sounds disordered...I mean I eat 2 peaches in one sitting but it's 160 grams...not a whole lot (small peaches) but 4 plates of filling carbs...wow...

again why? and note my quote says "needs" not wants...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    my point is this...what is the drive for volume eating...seriously.

to me it sounds disordered...I mean I eat 2 peaches in one sitting but it's 160 grams...not a whole lot (small peaches) but 4 plates of filling carbs...wow...

again why? and note my quote says "needs" not wants...

Not disordered. Different things satisfy different people. If you want to be nitpicky, I suppose we could classify everyone here as being somewhat disordered with food. After all, we're here because we need to lose and/or maintain our weight. And my volume is certainly different than someone else's. Four huge plates of pasta would be too much for me, but I definitely prefer more than a serving or two.

I think you're being a bit judgmental, and I get that. I tend to be judgmental towards low carb and keto ways of eating, but I have learned that everyone is different and responds differently to a particular way of eating.

not trying to be nitpicky at all tho...

not everyone here can be seen as disordered because we are on MFP I am in maintenance and have been for over 3 years...I used this site to lose weight I don't see how that is disordered...

I am not trying to be judgemental tho either I am seriously wondering and expressing a valid opinion on the subject.

To me wanting to eat vast quantities of food in one sitting is foreign and really just trying to understand it...

I have 4 brothers, a husband and a son (all big men) and none of them are volume eaters so you can see why it's foreign to me.