Tips & Tricks: Food Hacks

Options

Replies

• zindroth
    zindroth Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Has anyone looked into portebello mushroom buns?

YES!!! I love them. Typically use them when we do Indian turkey burgers. I toss them in the microwave for 45sec - 60 sec each side as I am not a fan of them cold. I did learn to be very careful seasoning them as they absorb salt like crazy.
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My food hacks is just not to eat things I'm not really in the mood for.

That being said, 20 shrimps is definitely not only 60 calories. Unless they're ridiculously tiny. Maybe. Still doubtful.

PB2... I like it. But I'm full longer if I put peanut butter in my oatmeal vs PB2, so it's worth the extra calories (and good fat).

I'm definitely in the 'if I really want pasta, nothing but pasta will do' camp though. I mean, it's like mashed cauliflower - tasty, but not a substitute when you crave the real thing... that's why I don't like the whole 'food hacks' mentality. It's not a substitute, it's just another meal option. And all the diabetic people I know do eat pasta, just in small quantities and with plenty of protein and fat (but again, I know nothing about being diabetic).

About zucchini noodles, frankly cutting them in cubes is just the same for me, my spiralizer is a pain and it just tastes the same anyway... and it's not bad, but won't kill the pasta craving.

The only hack I can really think of is using lower fat ground meat and cheese in dishes. It's still tasty and usually doesn't make that much of a difference taste-wise.

I'll upload the brand once I go to cook them. They're quite small and 3 calories/shrimp. It's clearly stated in the package XD

Regarding the noodles, they taste just as good for me in zucchini form. 50 calories for one large zucchini means I can use 4 entire zucchinis and make 200 calories of a crap ton of pasta. This helps since I have an old habit of eating a lot when I used to workout like a freak back in high school (too bad I stopped and gained a lot of weight -.-
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Just eat the foods you enjoy and fit them into your calorie, micro, macro allotment. No need for hacks, cheats, etc...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Just eat the foods you enjoy and fit them into your calorie, micro, macro allotment. No need for hacks, cheats, etc...

Yeah that's not always doable unfortunately. On a typical day, eating what I enjoy, I can reach 2500 calories easily, and on an active day my TDEE is around 2400.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    mlsh1969 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    um well if I want pasta I eat pasta...if I want coffee with sugar I drink coffee with sugar.

I don't see the point of subing out food I love for something that is subpar...

why not eat the pasta? it's not evil....

as for forgetting to eat etc no I don't forget to eat and I don't binge on "junk" to reach calorie limits.

I eat food...if it happens to be from McDonalds so be it...it's not "junk" it's calories.

I agree with this but will note that you can add zucchini noodles to regular pasta without missing a beat. You don't even notice that it's there since the zucchini takes up the sauce flavors. You can get the same satisfaction from the pasta at half the calorie load with no sacrifice in taste or experience (assuming you use a 1:1 ratio).

I scoffed at this until I tried it. I'm a huge carb nut but thinks that this works really well.

I was just going to say this. The zucchini just sneaks right in there and adds a veggie. I tried it and liked it.

I do the same, bulk my spaghetti with zucchini noodles. I even sub out cauliflower for 50% of the noodles in my tuna noodle casserole and don't notice its there.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

That being said, 20 shrimps is definitely not only 60 calories. Unless they're ridiculously tiny. Maybe. Still doubtful.

PB2... I like it. But I'm full longer if I put peanut butter in my oatmeal vs PB2, so it's worth the extra calories (and good fat).

I'm definitely in the 'if I really want pasta, nothing but pasta will do' camp though. I mean, it's like mashed cauliflower - tasty, but not a substitute when you crave the real thing... that's why I don't like the whole 'food hacks' mentality. It's not a substitute, it's just another meal option. And all the diabetic people I know do eat pasta, just in small quantities and with plenty of protein and fat (but again, I know nothing about being diabetic).

About zucchini noodles, frankly cutting them in cubes is just the same for me, my spiralizer is a pain and it just tastes the same anyway... and it's not bad, but won't kill the pasta craving.

The only hack I can really think of is using lower fat ground meat and cheese in dishes. It's still tasty and usually doesn't make that much of a difference taste-wise.

I'll upload the brand once I go to cook them. They're quite small and 3 calories/shrimp. It's clearly stated in the package XD

Regarding the noodles, they taste just as good for me in zucchini form. 50 calories for one large zucchini means I can use 4 entire zucchinis and make 200 calories of a crap ton of pasta. This helps since I have an old habit of eating a lot when I used to workout like a freak back in high school (too bad I stopped and gained a lot of weight -.-

If you weigh your food in grams, it doesn't matter how many shrimp make up 60 calories. I like a medium-large shrimp (I can't remember what size they measure at) and usually eat 6 or 7 for about 75 calories. If I get a different size, I still weigh them and it still ends up being about 75 calories, give or take.

Speaking of the zucchini noodles - I do love them but I've found this year that raw zucchini sticks are also an awesome snack! I keep a back of them and some carrot sticks in the fridge at work. They're delicious and filling for low cal.
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options

Yeah that's not always doable unfortunately. On a typical day, eating what I enjoy, I can reach 2500 calories easily, and on an active day my TDEE is around 2400.

That's a control issue not a caloric one...

I agree, but sometimes if I'm craving mcdonalds, 3 junior chickens, fries, and water is just enough to hit my calorie count for the day (close to 1500). Personally, i have the self-control to do this. However, 6-calorie jello, diet soda (aspartame-free), 4 plates of zucchini noodles, with 50 small shrimps and spices, shredded low-calorie mozzarella, a medium plate of skinny pop popcorn, a 20-calorie popsicle, and a fiber one bar is much more filling and tastes pretty damn good. It's also less than a 1000 calories btw. Just saying XD
  • myfitnessjourneyto180
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »

If you weigh your food in grams, it doesn't matter how many shrimp make up 60 calories. I like a medium-large shrimp (I can't remember what size they measure at) and usually eat 6 or 7 for about 75 calories. If I get a different size, I still weigh them and it still ends up being about 75 calories, give or take.

Speaking of the zucchini noodles - I do love them but I've found this year that raw zucchini sticks are also an awesome snack! I keep a back of them and some carrot sticks in the fridge at work. They're delicious and filling for low cal.

Measuring is always a good idea. I'll check out the raw zucchini sticks; seems interesting!
  • MandaLuvsHockey
    MandaLuvsHockey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I made an amazing lasagna using Butternut Squash sheets rather than lasagna noodles. I was expecting it to be horrible (I'm not a veggie lover) but it was amazing. I'd almost say better than normal lasagna. Will be making it again for sure. I bought them from Tesco. As long as they make them I will be experimenting with them for more recipies
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I agree, but sometimes if I'm craving mcdonalds, 3 junior chickens, fries, and water is just enough to hit my calorie count for the day (close to 1500). Personally, i have the self-control to do this. However, 6-calorie jello, diet soda (aspartame-free), 4 plates of zucchini noodles, with 50 small shrimps and spices, shredded low-calorie mozzarella, a medium plate of skinny pop popcorn, a 20-calorie popsicle, and a fiber one bar is much more filling and tastes pretty damn good. It's also less than a 1000 calories btw. Just saying XD

Why is it a false choice between using all your calories on Mcdonalds or not? You can fit McDonald's into a 1500 calorie day...
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    'Smart' vegetarian hotdogs from Trader Joes are 50 calories a piece and are quick to make. I don't like normal hotdogs, but these are pretty good.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    mlsh1969 wrote: »
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    um well if I want pasta I eat pasta...if I want coffee with sugar I drink coffee with sugar.

I don't see the point of subing out food I love for something that is subpar...

why not eat the pasta? it's not evil....

as for forgetting to eat etc no I don't forget to eat and I don't binge on "junk" to reach calorie limits.

I eat food...if it happens to be from McDonalds so be it...it's not "junk" it's calories.

I agree with this but will note that you can add zucchini noodles to regular pasta without missing a beat. You don't even notice that it's there since the zucchini takes up the sauce flavors. You can get the same satisfaction from the pasta at half the calorie load with no sacrifice in taste or experience (assuming you use a 1:1 ratio).

I scoffed at this until I tried it. I'm a huge carb nut but thinks that this works really well.

I was just going to say this. The zucchini just sneaks right in there and adds a veggie. I tried it and liked it.

I do the same, bulk my spaghetti with zucchini noodles. I even sub out cauliflower for 50% of the noodles in my tuna noodle casserole and don't notice its there.

That cauliflower trick in place of noodles in casseroles is great. I'm stealing it!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

Well, I'd say if you need three chicken sandwiches to be satisfied, you're not really doing well on the self-control front.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Mandunc wrote: »
    I made an amazing lasagna using Butternut Squash sheets rather than lasagna noodles. I was expecting it to be horrible (I'm not a veggie lover) but it was amazing. I'd almost say better than normal lasagna. Will be making it again for sure. I bought them from Tesco. As long as they make them I will be experimenting with them for more recipies

I was thinking of trying this with zucchini, but I think I like the idea of butternut squash better (flavor wise).
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Well, I'd say if you need three chicken sandwiches to be satisfied, you're not really doing well on the self-control front.

But you're doing great on the 'supporting chicken farmers' front.