Aliens. Please discuss. (Fun Thread)

Options

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Caporegiem wrote: »
    i don't really believe in aliens. i mean *maybe* they're out there, but if they ever found us they'd be so far advanced they'd have no reason to take notice of us either, unless we were in their way somehow.

it'd be like explaining yourself to a cockroach before you stomp it to death.

though i do believe in bigfoot so idk.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we were the ones to find aliens and discover they're morons? After years upon years of science fiction leading us to believe aliens are some advanced species, the truth is revealed they're just....dumb.

imo- if there *is* an alien race out there which was smart enough to establish reliable interstellar travel, they're very likely a peaceful race, who focused on the limits to which they could expand their minds and work together.

i don't think they'd actually try to exterminate us, the cockroach analogy isn't a good one tbh- if anything they'd see us like we do a pet dog most likely, something to take care of and try to teach maybe.

in return, i can only hope, if that alien race shows up to guide humanity some day, that we are able to introduce a man-made virus into their ship's ecosystem, slaughter the survivors and then harvest their technology for our own usage.

I like how you think!

@cee134 make THIS movie
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    If they come here,they'll probably try to eat us.

I reckon we taste like chicken.

You're not eating the same people I'm eating

Pork?

the noun, not the verb
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    imo- if there *is* an alien race out there which was smart enough to establish reliable interstellar travel, they're very likely a peaceful race, who focused on the limits to which they could expand their minds and work together.

This reminds me very much of Dr. Steven Greer's perspective, and his efforts to develop peaceful contact through SETI.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Preface:
    If we don't already have plans, every Saturday and Sunday morning, my fiancé wakes up and watches filmed lectures, conferences, and documentaries relating to aliens/extra-terrestrials. I have absolutely grown to love this little ritual of his, and it always results in some lively discussions around the topic. As he's preparing to go out of town for a few days, I'm realizing that I will miss this exchange that I've become so accustomed to! Perhaps I can attempt to re-create it here? :smiley:

Aliens. Yes? No? Maybe?

Aliens? Yes, absolutely. It would be unbelievable to think that we're the only intelligent (well, intelligence is debatable) lifeforms in this huge universe.

I love the ABC News documentary "Seeing is Believing" with the late Peter Jennings. It has great interviews with commercial and military pilots who were very down to earth about what they saw. Editing this to add the documentary is on Youtube but the quality is poor. If you're interested in aliens it's worth renting or buying.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

This reminds me very much of Dr. Steven Greer's perspective, and his efforts to develop peaceful contact through SETI.

Dr. Steven Greer is going to become a DrSteven Alien Kabob if he ain't careful.
  • _NicLovin_
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »

I love the ABC News documentary "Seeing is Believing" with the late Peter Jennings. It has great interviews with commercial and military pilots who were very down to earth about what they saw.

I'll have to check that out! I've seen The Billy Meier's Story, Out of the Blue, and The Stan Romanek Story. Stan's story is entertaining, but I feel you could debunk the majority of his "evidence."
  • RedSierra
    Options

I love the ABC News documentary "Seeing is Believing" with the late Peter Jennings. It has great interviews with commercial and military pilots who were very down to earth about what they saw.

I'll have to check that out! I've seen The Billy Meier's Story, Out of the Blue, and The Stan Romanek Story. Stan's story is entertaining, but I feel you could debunk the majority of his "evidence."

"Seeing is Believing" is flat out awesome. It has everything in it, including the skeptics as well as believers. The best parts are the pilot interviews and the section about a trucker who saw a UFO, called 911, and the interviews with cops who trailed it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Preface:
    If we don't already have plans, every Saturday and Sunday morning, my fiancé wakes up and watches filmed lectures, conferences, and documentaries relating to aliens/extra-terrestrials. I have absolutely grown to love this little ritual of his, and it always results in some lively discussions around the topic. As he's preparing to go out of town for a few days, I'm realizing that I will miss this exchange that I've become so accustomed to! Perhaps I can attempt to re-create it here? :smiley:

Aliens. Yes? No? Maybe?

Aliens? Yes, absolutely. It would be unbelievable to think that we're the only intelligent (well, intelligence is debatable) lifeforms in this huge universe.

I love the ABC News documentary "Seeing is Believing" with the late Peter Jennings. It has great interviews with commercial and military pilots who were very down to earth about what they saw. Editing this to add the documentary is on Youtube but the quality is poor. If you're interested in aliens it's worth renting or buying.

I agree - it seems unlikely that, in the entire universe, there is no other life. To believe that there is no other intelligent life is just plain arrogant.

*I say "no other life" because why do extraterrestrial life forms need to be "intelligent?"
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    If aliens are so smart, why would they travel to Earth?

Traveling to Earth would be like taking a Low-Rent Carnival Cruise to Lake Erie.
  • _NicLovin_
    edited August 2017
    Options

Awesome. I just found it on YouTube. Thanks! <3
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    i don't really believe in aliens. i mean *maybe* they're out there, but if they ever found us they'd be so far advanced they'd have no reason to take notice of us either, unless we were in their way somehow.

Wouldn't it be ironic if we were the ones to find aliens and discover they're morons? After years upon years of science fiction leading us to believe aliens are some advanced species, the truth is revealed they're just....dumb.

i don't think they'd actually try to exterminate us, the cockroach analogy isn't a good one tbh- if anything they'd see us like we do a pet dog most likely, something to take care of and try to teach maybe.

in return, i can only hope, if that alien race shows up to guide humanity some day, that we are able to introduce a man-made virus into their ship's ecosystem, slaughter the survivors and then harvest their technology for our own usage.

They would probably watch us without our knowledge and turn it into an entertainment reality show. Not that I stole that idea from anywhere.
  • RedSierra
    edited August 2017
    Options

Awesome. I just found it on YouTube. Thanks! <3

Just to warn you, the youtube quality is very poor (at least the version I found).

It's a seriously great program. The pilot interviews left me with this weird, wondrous, odd feeling where I wanted to go outside in the middle of the night and look up at the sky to see if I could spot any moving lights.

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I was in the movie.
  • _NicLovin_
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Just to warn you, the youtube quality is very poor (at least the version I found).

It's a seriously great program. The pilot interviews left me with this weird, wondrous, odd feeling where I wanted to go outside in the middle of the night and look up at the sky to see if I could spot any moving lights.

Yeah, I've got it on now. We've gone through so many YouTube videos, some amazing ones with ex-military, and death-bed confessions from former pilots, generals, and folks involved in Project Blue Book.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I've always thought this. Why do we assume they'd be so much more advanced? Maybe they shirk proper birth control or sometimes take three tries just to flip a light switch too.

I think if you're talking about aliens visiting earth, you would have to assume they are pretty advanced to get here as they would have figured out interstellar travel...
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Aliens...

Mostly they come out at night. Mostly.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I've always thought this. Why do we assume they'd be so much more advanced? Maybe they shirk proper birth control or sometimes take three tries just to flip a light switch too.

I think if you're talking about aliens visiting earth, you would have to assume they are pretty advanced to get here as they would have figured out interstellar travel...

I don't know, asteroids find earth all the time and they're dumb as rocks.

vsAxRBs.gif

FR SENT

First we need to discuss your unpopular opinion about fries and frosties.