Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breastfeeding older kids (over 12mths old)

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2017
    Options

Also, I am highly suspicious of the health benefits over bottle feeding. Out of my three children, it was the bottle fed one that was healthiest.

There does seem to be quite a bit of research indicating breastmilk fed babies tend to be healthier than formula fed. There is also quite a bit of antibodies which get passed through colostrum so I definitely believe at least a couple days of breast feeding would make a difference. After that I am not totally sold.

@Christine_72 that's interesting. I know hubs says his mom was putting ground cheerios in his bottle after a couple months and it helped him get through the night. I was wondering about that trick, obviously didnt do him any harm. Not sure why they pushed solids back to 6 months now, will have to look into that more.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options

And for the record, we only quit breastfeeding a few months ago, and only then because I set her up to quit. Otherwise that child would have kept going right into preschool, not that there's anything wrong with that. The idea that breastfeeding that long is selfish on the part of the mother is absolutely laughable. It was selfish of me to cut her off, but I was so over it, and I had to wait to get my Lasik done until we were done nursing.

From what I have read, it seems like breastfeeding for school age kids is more about comfort for the kid than necessarily nutrition. Personally, by the time my kid is having to spend significant amounts of time away from me (which for me will be fairly quickly since I plan to return to work after 10 weeks) I would want them to have been weened off using that as a comfort mechanism, since it is not longer readily available to them. I guess I would just worry about them getting upset at school, wanting a boob, and not knowing how to cope. Not a mom yet, expecting my first in a month, so this is all just my hypothetical theories.

Mine adjusted pretty quickly although I didn't go back to work until he was 12 months old (thank you British maternity laws!). I agree that a lot of it would have been about comfort but that isn't to say the breastmilk isn't without nutrition - certainly not more or less so than cows' milk, which few people have a problem with unless they're vegan.
This discussion has been closed.