Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Breastfeeding older kids (over 12mths old)

Options

Replies

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    I do find it slightly odd that anyone would claim someone was breastfeeding a child for selfish reasons. It isn't fun!

I made the decision to stop breastfeeding my toddler a couple of months after his second birthday as it was driving me mad and he barely needed/wanted it any more. But full-term breastfeeding isn't a bad thing and is practised in plenty of cultures around the world.

This is an interesting article about it.
    Just in case anyone wanted some more in depth, peer-reviewed info on extended breastfeeding, here is a really good article from Breastfeeding Review

Mortensen, K., & Tawia, S. (January 01, 2013). Sustained breastfeeding. Breastfeeding Review : Professional Publication of the Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia, 21, 1, 22-34.

web.b.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.sf.edu/ehost/detail/detail?vid=0&sid=da769080-2065-4922-8d88-bf76b9b370b7%40sessionmgr101&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZSZzY29wZT1zaXRl#AN=107997259&db=rzh

Some highlights:
    Immunological effects: "The data showed tht the production of secretory IgA antibodies continues throughout lactation and does not diminish with time."

Nutrition: "The long-term risk of obesity associated with artificial feeding is dose dependent, that is, a longer duration of breastfeeding is associated with a lower tendency to later obesity."

Cognitive development: "Cognitive development has been shown to be supported by continued breastfeeding. Rogan and Gladen (1993) tested children, some of whom were breastfed up to 2 years, for IQ and school grades. The results showed a dose-dependent relationship between higher score and duration of breastfeeding."
    And from a more recent review:

"The disciplines of medicine and nursing have examined the biomedical benefits of breastfeeding beyond infancy. It has been well established that breastfeeding a child beyond 12 months provides no harm to the child as long as there is sufficient complementary nutritional intake (Riordan & Wambach 2010). Increasing evidence supports that breastfeeding beyond infancy confers long-term benefits for the mother or the child. Prior to weaning, children benefit from many direct immune-protective effects of breastmilk and the short-term benefits of breastfeeding a toddler are evident. However, there is growing research indicating some of the benefits of breastfeeding are dose-dependent and breastfeeding beyond infancy may confer additional longterm benefits for both mother and child (Ip et al. 2007). Increased breastfeeding duration is positively associated with a reduced risk of certain childhood cancers, obesity and diabetes. Longer duration of lifetime breastfeeding was also associated with a reduced risk of maternal type 2 diabetes and pre-menopausal breast and ovarian cancer risk (Ip et al. 2007). It is difficult to irrefutably establish the long-term effects of breastfeeding on children and mothers as researchers need to rely on comparative studies, however evidence does suggest there are many benefits of breastfeeding beyond infancy."

Brockway, M., & Venturato, L. (January 01, 2016). Breastfeeding beyond infancy: a concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 72, 9, 2003-15.

Thank you for all of this! I LOVED the article about the mother breastfeeding in Mongolia. Fascinating reads.

I'm not a mom but hope to be in the next 5 years. I'm a huge supporter of breastfeeding (thanks, Dad!), but I want to understand as much as possible about the pros/cons on the length of breastfeeding. I can't say I've ever seen a child over the age of 3 breastfeeding, but I don't have a problem with it. I've always leaned toward whatever is working for the mother and child is what's good for them.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @HealthyBodySickMind - do you have the article? I can only find a page that wants you to pay for it.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    That's probably why we are seeing so many hypersensitive college students. They were breastfed too long.

You are talking about people who were children 20 years ago. I think this was before the extended breastfeeding movement really was rolling.

True, actually a lot of the breastfeeding resurgence came after a period (probably 20-40 years ago) when most were formula fed.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @HealthyBodySickMind - do you have the article? I can only find a page that wants you to pay for it.

I realized after I had already typed most of the highlights for the first article that the "file" attachment was only for pics. If you pm me your email address, I can send you .pdfs of both articles.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

Does he look like a well adapted young man? This is his Facebook profile picture.

And this is all solely due to his being breast fed until 5 in your opinion?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    That's probably why we are seeing so many hypersensitive college students. They were breastfed too long.

You are talking about people who were children 20 years ago. I think this was before the extended breastfeeding movement really was rolling.
    My sister breastfed her sons until they were over 5 years old and they are both college students now, and yes, they are the hypersensitive types.

I suspect everyone is hypersensitive to you.
    It's an observation and it has nothing to do with me.

Your individual opinion that someone is hypersensitive has everything to do with you. It's not like you're some infallible being with a completely objective mind capable of flawlessly sorting the hypersensitive from the just-sensitive-enoughs.

You can't make this determination outside of your own values and experiences.

and I have to agree with this analysis
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Does he look like a well adapted young man? This is his Facebook profile picture.

It looks like the sort of deliberately wacky picture that I see my college-age siblings and their friends post all the time.

Some of them were breastfed, some of them were not. I may not always find them funny, but neither do I determine that they are weak or psychologically maladjusted just because I don't share their sense of humor.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

It looks like the sort of deliberately wacky picture that I see my college-age siblings and their friends post all the time.

Some of them were breastfed, some of them were not. I may not always find them funny, but neither do I determine that they are weak or psychologically maladjusted just because I don't share their sense of humor.

My first thought was hungover and/or drugs. Now I am curious what the correlation between breastfeeding schedule and alcoholism or drug use later in life is? Next google search :)
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Dnarules wrote: »
    or9jj7vi4t55.jpg

Not cool if you don't have permission. And are you saying this is because of breastfeeding?
    It is a public profile picture on social media.
    I'm responding to everyone who posts articles saying that prolonged breastfeeding makes kids smarter and overall better off. Here is one who is not and you don't know that it isn't a result of breastfeeding too long.

n=1.

yup, anecdotal evidence only holds up so well
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    bizgirl26 wrote: »
    I don't see that the mother is being selfish
    There is no benefit to breastfeeding after a certain age so a mother breastfeeding a 5 year old is doing it for herself, not her child. Attachment issues, not wanting to recognize that their baby is growing up, not wanting to give up control, any number of reasons none of which has anything to do with the needs and best interest of the child. Most have never even considered what psychological impact that may have on a child.

Hahaha

I was breastfed until the age of almost 4 and have experienced no psychological issues.

I know precisely zero mothers who carry on feeding their older children for their own benefit. Every one I know is more exasperated with it than anything else!
    Then why do they choose to breastfeed 4 year olds? Why did you breastfeed so long?

Because that is her choice. She did what was/is right for her child.
This discussion has been closed.