For those confused or questioning "Eating your exercise calo

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Banks, first off... congrats on the win last night. I told ppl from the start that the Bruins would take this series and everyone wrote em off.

Secondly... I've read it over and over in thread after thread but I need to be hit over the head with a hammer I guess. I'm a big guy, MFP already gives me just over 2000 cals a day even with my 1000 daily subtraction for 2lbs a week. I haven't been eating my exercise calories, if I do go over my 2000 I don't sweat it but I don't ever aim to hit my 2000 + all my exercise cals. My theory is that a bigger deficit is better.

I'd be interested in your thoughts. If you would like to know any info about me just let me know.

this really depends on how big you are, and more specifically how much body fat you have. The more you have, the bigger the deficit can be (within reason). Put it this way, for the average sized person who's just barely into the obese category, yes, 2 lbs a week is about the max you can do safely. But if you're say 6'3" and 290 lbs or so, you can probably go up to 2.5 or maybe even as far as 3 lbs a week safely, maybe, again, that depends on how much of that weight is fat and how much is lean tissue. Understand what I'm saying? I guess what I'm saying, is, know your body fat percent, know your weight loss safe area.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Excellent! I get upset when I "see"?(really) bickering through posts on this site. And really really upset when it has to do with exercise calories. I thank goodness every day for those damn calories. Sometimes it is all that gets me through! :) Thanks for taking the time.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • gibbonm
    gibbonm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    :wink:
  • MiaMcBetty
    MiaMcBetty Posts: 45
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The best artical I've read on th subject - thanks!!! :flowerforyou:
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Bump
  • determined2bfit
    determined2bfit Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • misssmilepop
    Options
    bump
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    ZombieKillaPrincess Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kezziemc
    kezziemc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Ok so I want to try this as I'm at a standstill with weightloss and inches. Im 33, 5ft 4, bmr 1309 (according to mfp calculator), bmi 23.4 and 137 lbs. I have set my goal at 1100 but tend to eat 1200 ish. I can't remember how I came to the conclusion of 1100 but I think I made it up myself(?). I run/exercise dvd 2-3 times a week burning around 300-500 each time. So am I right in thinking that eating 1200 (without exercise) is 100 deficit and with exercise 400-600 deficit leaving a total of 600-800 intake? which puts me in starvation mode? therefore I should eat my exercise cals back? so for example if I ate 1500 (300 over goal) and exercise 500 (leaving me 200 deficit) I should eat 200 more?

I need help finding out how much my goal should be.

can anyone help me?

(oh and how do I add my ticker? Ive made it but don't know how to add it)

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ok so I want to try this as I'm at a standstill with weightloss and inches. Im 33, 5ft 4, bmr 1309 (according to mfp calculator), bmi 23.4 and 137 lbs. I have set my goal at 1100 but tend to eat 1200 ish. I can't remember how I came to the conclusion of 1100 but I think I made it up myself(?). I run/exercise dvd 2-3 times a week burning around 300-500 each time. So am I right in thinking that eating 1200 (without exercise) is 100 deficit and with exercise 400-600 deficit leaving a total of 600-800 intake? which puts me in starvation mode? therefore I should eat my exercise cals back? so for example if I ate 1500 (300 over goal) and exercise 500 (leaving me 200 deficit) I should eat 200 more?

can anyone help me?

No, BMR is below your maintenance, depending on your activity level it's anywhere from about 55% to about 75% of the calories you need every day just to maintain, so having a healthy BMI and eating below that (we'd be better off knowing your Body Fat % than BMI as BMI isn't a great tool for this kind of thing, it's flawed) is not usually a good plan. What you want to find is your AMR or maintenance calories, then take about 250 to 450 calories off that, and then you would add back exercise calories (this site does it all for you, all you need to do is choose 1/2 lb per week weight loss and the correct activity level for you in the goals wizard).
  • kezziemc
    kezziemc Posts: 51 Member
    Options

can anyone help me?

No, BMR is below your maintenance, depending on your activity level it's anywhere from about 55% to about 75% of the calories you need every day just to maintain, so having a healthy BMI and eating below that (we'd be better off knowing your Body Fat % than BMI as BMI isn't a great tool for this kind of thing, it's flawed) is not usually a good plan. What you want to find is your AMR or maintenance calories, then take about 250 to 450 calories off that, and then you would add back exercise calories (this site does it all for you, all you need to do is choose 1/2 lb per week weight loss and the correct activity level for you in the goals wizard).

oh so bmr and maintenance cals are different things then? I just used the calculator you had a link to on another thread to the mayoclinic and my maintenance calories should be 1700. shall I just ignore the 1309 bmr then? My body fat is 31.8%

so just so I'm clear. I should eat 1250-1450 a day (because maintenance is 1700) and if I exercise...make sure I eat them to get back to the 1250-1450 per day.
    If thats right then it seems simple enough.

Thanks Banks. These threads have helped me understand alot more. :happy: