Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Cals are NOT created equal. CICO isn't the whole story.

Options
joemac1988
joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
Full disclosure; I DO follow IIFYM and incorporate "comfort/dirty/whatever" foods daily. But, I'm not addressing IIFYM (whole 'nother story), just CICO.

Saying "CICO is all you need to pay attention to" and "a calorie is a calorie" isn't telling the whole story. If you're a beginner with tracking macros/have a lot to lose/are really experienced and know your body, then yes; you'll do ok with CICO.

That being said, CICO makes no allowance for Macros, Micros, Circadian Rhythm, blood sugar levels, etc. Without the right macros, fat loss, muscle gain and performance will all suffer.

Bottom line: will you lose weight on a caloric deficit? Yes. Will your body composition be as optimal as if your macros were correct and you stuck to whole foods? NO.

P.S. If you disagree, your argument is with scientific research, not me.

This should be interesting :neutral:

Replies

• joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Full disclosure; I DO follow IIFYM and incorporate "comfort/dirty/whatever" foods daily. But, I'm not addressing IIFYM (whole 'nother story), just CICO.

Saying "CICO is all you need to pay attention to" and "a calorie is a calorie" isn't telling the whole story. If you're a beginner with tracking macros/have a lot to lose/are really experienced and know your body, then yes; you'll do ok with CICO.

That being said, CICO makes no allowance for Macros, Micros, Circadian Rhythm, blood sugar levels, etc. Without the right macros, fat loss, muscle gain and performance will all suffer.

Bottom line: will you lose weight on a caloric deficit? Yes. Will your body composition be as optimal as if your macros were correct and you stuck to whole foods? NO.

P.S. If you disagree, your argument is with scientific research, not me.

This should be interesting :neutral:

Everyone has different goals though. I have no interest in a specific body composition. I am interested though in having a normal glucose number, since I used to be a prediabetic. Just focusing on CICO during my weight loss phase kept things simple and sustainable for me, (I did not track macros/micros at all). Lost the extra weight and improved all my health markers, including normalizing that glucose number into the 80s.

Now I'm a few years into maintenance and I still don't have fitness/body comp goals because that's just not important to me. I'm in excellent health, look good in my clothes and my husband of almost 15 years can't keep his hands off of me. My body composition is 'optimal' for me and I'm quite happy with where I'm at, and I still keep things simple (no tracking of macros, micros or circadian rhythm). To each their own!

eta: my before pics are in my profile area, along with one that I took yesterday. My body comp may not be desirable to others, but I'm pretty darn pleased with where I'm at today :)

Good reply!