How to break through a plateau

Options
usmcmp
usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
A plateau is typically described as no weight loss over the period of a month or more. Plateaus can be frustrating and many people experience them as they lose weight. Here are some steps you can take to break a plateau if you haven't lost weight in the past 30 days:

1. Buy a food scale and weigh absolutely everything every day. This means your "cheat meals" need to be within your calorie goal now. Accuracy is going to give you an accurate picture of what your calorie intake really is. If you can't log it you can't eat it.

2. Stop going out to eat. Calorie counts at restaurants, fast food chains, and coffee houses are notoriously inaccurate. If you are the one to cook everything you know exactly how many calories you are eating. This is a temporary sacrifice to get the scale moving.

3. Ensure your calorie goal is appropriate. If you've lost a lot of weight your calorie needs will change. If your activity level changes your calorie needs will change. If your exercise calorie burns seem a bit high you might not want to eat back all of them or adjust them down a bit.

4. Adjust your macros. Macros are rarely a make it or break it part of weight loss, but an adjustment may help. Adequate fat is important for hormones. Adequate protein is important for muscles and exercise recovery. More carbs can improve exercise performance and increase non-exercise activity.

5. Increase your daily calorie burn. You can accomplish this through exercise or through daily non-exercise activity.

6. Take a diet break. If you are sure that your calories are completely accurate and you have been sticking to your goal closely every day for a month then it's a good time for a diet break. Take one to four weeks off of dieting to eat at maintenance. This is good for your body and for your mental health.

I know the handy flow chart gets shared a lot (feel free to post below) and is a great reference. This is similar information posted in a different way.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Good post is good. Hopefully people who need it will find it.

Thank you! I know it's been stated a lot and there are a few other threads like this out there. I'd be happy if it helps just one person.
  • _NicLovin_
    _NicLovin_ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is helpful, thank you! :-)
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am very curious why people plateau. If they are still eating at a deficit, how can they go a month with no weight loss?
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I love this!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    a8h1u5vpxseawy8castkekn43.319x257x11.gif
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I need something that gets me over an emotional/motivational plateau. I've not list any real weight for about 3 months, but it's because I've been a slacker. At least I haven't really gained weight. Feel ready to get back on track now and lose that last 7pounds
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Nice bump. Can't believe I missed this. Great post, @usmcmp
  • puzgrl
    puzgrl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So I have been dieting and exercising for a year and have lost 63 pounds. I need to lose at least 80 pounds more to first big goal, problem is I have been on a plateau for 2 months. I have tried upping my calories, exercising more, eating more protein etc and nothing has worked. I have Hashimotos so my Thyroid is very sluggish even on meds. HELP! Oh I am 63 (in 10 days) and have DJD in joints but I need to do something....any body help?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    puzgrl wrote: »
    So I have been dieting and exercising for a year and have lost 63 pounds. I need to lose at least 80 pounds more to first big goal, problem is I have been on a plateau for 2 months. I have tried upping my calories, exercising more, eating more protein etc and nothing has worked. I have Hashimotos so my Thyroid is very sluggish even on meds. HELP! Oh I am 63 (in 10 days) and have DJD in joints but I need to do something....any body help?

Have you read the OP's post? that's all the help you need right there.
    Eating more is never going to help a plateau. To lose you have to take in less calories than you burn.
  • lisa0527
    lisa0527 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you haven’t had your thyroid and antibody levels checked recently make sure that isn’t the problem. Also, individuals with Hashimoto's should aim for TSH levels in the lower half of the normal range. If your thyroid is being managed by your GP you may want to consider checking in with an endocrinologist to make sure you’re on adequate thyroid replacement.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    LynnJ9 wrote: »
    I am very curious why people plateau. If they are still eating at a deficit, how can they go a month with no weight loss?

Good question. people on here have all kinds of opinions on that matter and not all of them agree with each other. But I think it depends on the person who is going through it.
    I have issues with constipation...:( That can stall my weight in the scale at least. Or stall it in a way that I am not losing at the rate I should be, based on the scales number only.

But I have a friend who lost from 210 pounds and she stalled at 70 pounds for 2 months. Then suddenly the scale moved again. She was very adamant about her diet.

• abguan
    abguan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    After initial fast success of 9 lbs in 7 weeks, I went for the next month only loosing 1 lb, even though I was doing everything 'right' - I went through the chart above and everything. It was frustrating, but I just stuck with it. Recently I've starting loosing again, phew! and one thing that has changed is I've started some simple weight lifting. Maybe the thing that has pushed me past the plateau? I'm not sure, but glad to be on track again!
  • Najacita
    Najacita Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine lost a bunch of weight last year. When she hit a plateau, she said she tried intermittent fasting to help and it worked for her.