Can't control my eating, stay on a diet, or workout

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Don't wait around for motivation. Just do it.

Motivation isn't a blinding flash of light that solves everything. Motivation doesn't last.

You need habits.

Habits start with one thing.

Do one thing.

Then do another.

Keep doing things. Keep doing them some more.

Don't wait around for motivation. Just f****** do it.

And read the goddam stickies.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads

So much this! !
  • MarcA1218
    MarcA1218 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should start with walking more each day- get a Fitbit or I watch and track your steps daily- exercise is not easy to just jump into but if you ease into it by being more active that's a good start- as far as the over eating- we all are or at least have been there and small steps there too- track what you eat and stay below the MFP calorie intake- if you feel hungry all the time cut the carbs and bulk up on veggies and fruit- just a few suggestions :)
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Stop depending on motivation. Willpower is a hard to find resource. Change habits so default is healthy.
    It takes 3 weeks for a habit to stick
    First change habit is log everything you eat before you eat it.
    Then once that is habit look at logs can you say swit change regular soda for diet or otherwise make an easy change that would decrease calories.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have an issue with over eating too. To the point of feeling sick. Over the last year of diet and maintaining and then dieting again (taking the slow weight loss method) I just recently realized I only have the urge to over eat when I eat high sugary, high fat and high carb foods. I've cut out most sugar and the high fat/carb stuff and eat more cleaner whole foods and that desire to stuff my face ALWAYS goes away. I also have more energy to work out which...I absolutely hate but going walking is a good way to start. It's super effective especially for beginners and it doesn't feel like exercise. It's really about small changes at a time but eating the good stuff is always #1.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    CassieR6 wrote: »
    So I am sure if you look at my history I am often posting about the same subject, but as you can see nothing has changed. I am now at 210lbs at only 5'3 and continue to eat horribly and a lot. I never workout all I know how to do is talk about it and then complain how fat I am. I wanna loose weight for myself, my family, and so I can have a baby with my husband. It will be my second but first with him. What is it going to take to get me off my *kitten* and to actually do something. I am open to any suggestions for workouts, motivation, diets, just about anything! I have about 55lbs to loose.

Imma get all deep here. You need to find your "Why". This applies to anything in life; career, family, etc. If you identify your "Why", that will keep you on track. Some generic potential "Why's" for example:
    - To look good for SO (or even yourself)
    - To have more confidence
    - To fit clothes you don't fit anymore
    - To live longer
    - To feel better physically and mentally
    - To be a good example to your kids/family

Motivation is temporary. Yes, we need it but you really need a deeper reason. When you find it, choosing a chicken sandwich over a cheeseburger and fries or skipping dessert or whatever will be easy because the choice is ACTUALLY about being a good example/having more confidence/whateveryoufindasyourwhy. Hope that helps!
  • holderh1
    holderh1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just start walking. Then gradually increase your time. Eventually you will want to do more types of excercise.I have a Fitbit and it greatly motivates me.. then just start logging. Eat back your excercise calories or at least some of them. Make a promise to yourself to log everything even if you go over. I have been doing this and realized even when I felt like I was eating the house down I didn't do as bad as I thought... if I hadn't of logged I probably would have eaten much more...because mentally I felt like " well I didn't log , so Idk how much I have gone over.. may as well eat till im stuffed and start again tomorrow" logging keeps me from doing that because no matter how bad I think I've over eaten it's never as bad as I think. I like to look at my diary over the course of a week instead of daily... that also helps me mentally too. Starting out with baby steps will encourage you to do more. I started out like you unmotivated, but I'm on a 69 day streak of logging and I have lost 8 pounds. Just keep going.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    holderh1 wrote: »
    Just start walking. Then gradually increase your time. Eventually you will want to do more types of excercise.I have a Fitbit and it greatly motivates me.. then just start logging. Eat back your excercise calories or at least some of them. Make a promise to yourself to log everything even if you go over. I have been doing this and realized even when I felt like I was eating the house down I didn't do as bad as I thought... if I hadn't of logged I probably would have eaten much more...because mentally I felt like " well I didn't log , so Idk how much I have gone over.. may as well eat till im stuffed and start again tomorrow" logging keeps me from doing that because no matter how bad I think I've over eaten it's never as bad as I think. I like to look at my diary over the course of a week instead of daily... that also helps me mentally too. Starting out with baby steps will encourage you to do more. I started out like you unmotivated, but I'm on a 69 day streak of logging and I have lost 8 pounds. Just keep going.

I too found logging the answer - even if I'm on holiday, I log everything (sometimes its difficult when eating unfamiliar foods to work out what to log it as, so I usually go for about the middle of the calorie suggestions). So I know I've gone over, but its surprising by how little some days, as not only does logging stop me from having 4 biscuits instead of 2, I also add in my exercise calories from walking - sightseeing can burn a surprising amount, even walking very slowly, if you're walking for 2 hours or more!
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you are on a gaining streak feeling like you have no control over your behavior, it's really hard to turn that immediately into losing.
    My advice is to first focus on stopping the weight gain.
    Once when you feel comfortable there, do more cuts.

Last December I was at my weight peek. I was gaining weight gradually for months and I felt like I have nothing under control. I had even started running, but I had no control over my eating, I was constantly hungry and constantly eating all the time.
    I was so afraid of that lack of control, I was worried that my gain is never gonna stop.
    Then I made a decision to set up a challenge for myself to cut off cakes and sweets for one year (New Year was coming and I used it as a trigger point). At the point I didn't have any weight loss plans, I just wanted to stop that gain. At first it was really tough. My sugar levels were having a rodeo. I would try to compensate sweets with other kind of foods. But after a while I started to feel calmer and at one point I felt that I got my satiation signals back.
    Then I tried to eliminate snacks between meals, to create a habit of having a proper meals instead of constant snacks.
    It took me about 3 months to go from that first decision of eliminating junk food to a decision to work on loosing weight. I probably have lost some weight during that 3 months, but I haven't weighted myself at the time so I don't know for sure.

So, what I am trying to say - when we let ourselves go for some periods of time, it's not always easy to find courage, determination and consistency at one, single moment.
    For some people it does happen like that, like a trigger from the sky, but for most of us it doesn't.
    You need to give yourself time to build up ability to commit and to stay consistent. And the best way to do that is as others have already said - with small, but significant changes.

Make today any good decision, like doing a short daily walk, or eliminating sweets, or no snacking after dinner or eating a veggie with your main meals etc. Just one. Reflect a bit on it - how can you do it, what is the most challenging part, how can you help yourself with it, who can you ask for help, etc... and try to stick with it for a while. :)
    Once when you feel proud and that you can do it, the rest will be much easier.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    All great advice above. Go for it, you are worth it to be the best you! Hugs
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Baby steps......don't try to do everything at once......don't expect perfection.

I always had a new years resolution to lose weight, and always failed. I gave up when I screwed up, vowing to start over. DON"T start over.....continue. It's a little bit of a different mind set. 2 steps forward and 1 step back is still progress.

I made a different new years resolution......eat more vegetables. That helped me get rid of some junk, no chips at lunch for example.

Exercise was a small (obtainable) goal of 60 minutes per week. 2x30, 3x20, 4x15.....whatever. Google short YouTube workouts and MARK A CALENDAR. Be accountable, buy some cute stickers to mark the days if that helps. After exercise becomes the "norm" and you start to feel more fit, add more time. Find workouts that are fun to you.

Change your habits one at a time.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough for it to work. That's the crux of the problem., to be honest. I don't think you want it bad enough, I don't think it's more important to you than your vices.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You know what the problem is and that's your mind set. You know what to do technically so no technical whizbang like a specific diet is going to fix what's wrong. The only thing that will fix what's wrong is to change your mind. Sometimes (and seemingly some people more than others), we can change our minds. Sometimes we can't without help. You may need help. You need new personal psychological tools. A combination of counseling, emotional-self-care, reading, etc., can definitely help. It's damned hard to change your belief structures but it can be done. Right now, you believe you can't do what's necessary to loose weight. You must start to believe you can.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    CassieR6 wrote: »
    So I am sure if you look at my history I am often posting about the same subject, but as you can see nothing has changed. I am now at 210lbs at only 5'3 and continue to eat horribly and a lot. I never workout all I know how to do is talk about it and then complain how fat I am. I wanna loose weight for myself, my family, and so I can have a baby with my husband. It will be my second but first with him. What is it going to take to get me off my *kitten* and to actually do something. I am open to any suggestions for workouts, motivation, diets, just about anything! I have about 55lbs to loose.

I started at 230lbs and I was the exact same way. I constantly complained about being fat I was so depressed and angry with myself. I would always be asking myself "why am I this way?". Yet I kept eating everything I saw.

Every time I tried to lose weight it was the same thing. I would start working out, get burnt out and give up. So this time I DIDN'T START WORKING OUT. All I did was change my eating habits. Signing up for a site like MyFitnessPal is the first step! Count your calories. I would sit on my couch for 18 hours a day BUT I stopped eating anything bad for me. Alcohol was out, chips were out, candy, pop, fast food. For me baby steps were not going to work. I had to go big or go home. I lost 20 pounds doing absolutely no exercise and being strict with counting. This happened all in a month. I saw results and that's all the motivation I needed to keep going.

Now, I'm a little more slack with what I eat because I move a bit more. Chips, candy, and pop are still out completely but I'll enjoy a glass of wine or 2, I'll eat fries if it fits into my calories (no fastfood tho).

I've lost a little over 40 pounds so far. I have 50 more to lose.

My advice to you, if your problem is getting off your *kitten* (as mine was).. just worry about your diet for now. I am extremely lazy. When I'm not working I'm sitting on my couch on my laptop and I'm still losing weight.

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Change is hard. Instead of losing focus by trying to do everything at once. Start with one problem and work on it, then go to the next.

Start with nutrition, as it's key to true long term results. Set a modest goal and slowly arrange your diet to beat suit your needs. Instead of just removing food, swap food. Something as simple as going from dark meat chicken to light. Cut out some condiments, particularly mayo and some cheese; eliminate if you're okay with that, cut in half if you know you're going to start craving it. If you like salsa, go nuts with it instead of other high calorie topping/condiments. Salsa is low in calories and huge in flavor.

Instead of going headlong into a workout routine that is drained you, start with just taking a 30 minute walk every day. Then go from there.

Permanent results require a lifestyle change, not a diet. Make small changes and over time those changes become your habits.

Small changes will lead to huge results.

Best of luck, just don't give up.