Can't control my eating, stay on a diet, or workout

Options
So I am sure if you look at my history I am often posting about the same subject, but as you can see nothing has changed. I am now at 210lbs at only 5'3 and continue to eat horribly and a lot. I never workout all I know how to do is talk about it and then complain how fat I am. I wanna loose weight for myself, my family, and so I can have a baby with my husband. It will be my second but first with him. What is it going to take to get me off my *kitten* and to actually do something. I am open to any suggestions for workouts, motivation, diets, just about anything! I have about 55lbs to loose.

Replies

• CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Ok I need my lightbulb moment. haha but seriously.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yes I wanna eat less
  • lukkiecharm
    lukkiecharm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    CassieR6 wrote: »
    So I am sure if you look at my history I am often posting about the same subject, but as you can see nothing has changed. I am now at 210lbs at only 5'3 and continue to eat horribly and a lot. I never workout all I know how to do is talk about it and then complain how fat I am. I wanna loose weight for myself, my family, and so I can have a baby with my husband. It will be my second but first with him. What is it going to take to get me off my *kitten* and to actually do something. I am open to any suggestions for workouts, motivation, diets, just about anything! I have about 55lbs to loose.

Maybe you are thinking of these things as not for you but for them? Your best bet is to start slow and make small changes, like adding a new food that's lower in calories and taking more walks (with someone is always more fun)
    Lots of us are afraid to fail - so we never try. The hardest step is the first one. You probably know a million and one "diet" tips, but it seems your motivation is dragging you down. How much do you want to change your ways and how are you going to get motivated? Small changes always help before diving in on some big project. Good luck! You can get it together...
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    start small. Launching headlong into a low-calorie diet isn't going to work long-term for anyone. Personally I would start by adding exercise. Things you can do as a family maybe - increase the walking, go to the park etc. Then look at your diet - look at the components of each meal and try removing one 'bad' (ie. high calorie) thing at a time - increase vegetables if hunger and fullness is an issue.

A couple of things I read recently - each meal, think about what you are eating and try and decide whether the components are a net gain or loss. So if there are more healthy things on the plates than unhealthy (more vegetable and less fried stuff lets say) then that is a net gain. If all you have in front of you is ice cream that is a net loss. This isn't to say you CAN'T eat ice cream, just that you need less, and more nutritious foods.

Also try making activity a routine - activity doesn't have to mean blasting it at the gym. Make it pleasurable, then you start to equate being active with good times. The more active you are, the more you feel you can do more, and for me certainly, that tends to equate to eating better.

Set aside your long-term goals for now, and target a small change.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Well it sounds like you need your lightbulb moment, as you put it, short of needing proper medical and/or psychological help. It's unlikely that anybody here could suggest something particular in the way of diet or exercise that will switch the light on for you. In hopes of trying to be constructive in some way, though, here are links to three threads I've seen recently where people describe their own lightbulb moments:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10062989/why-did-you-come-to-the-conclusion-to-lose-weight
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10578288/what-was-your-point-of-disgust
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10588922/what-made-you-get-serious-about-weight-loss

Also there's the old standby of playing with your macros and such. No doubt you've been exposed to this suggestion before if you've been on the boards as much as you describe, but as a reminder, if you experiment with which combination of carbs, fats, and protein seems to keep you fullest longest that might give you an assist in terms of staying within your allotted calories for the goals you entered into MFP.

The last thing I'll say is just to keep at it without getting disgusted with yourself and having your efforts turning into self-loathing. Speaking for myself, I had a rough beginning on MFP: I was given 1200 calories for my goals, but within 4 days 'broke' and ate like 2000, and that weekend went over 2000 both days! But my body started to get used to it and, especially with the help of inspiration on the forums and encouraging comments from my MFP contacts, I gradually got into a groove. I assume I'll fall out of that groove too at some point, since that's just how life works, but figure that keeping a cool head about it will be the way back into said groove when that day comes.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Its not going to be easy. Easy is keeping on the way you are and saying you want to lose weight. when I first started losing weight, people would say "I wish I could lose weight, but I can't because I'm busy/have a bad leg/had chicken pox when I was a child" (OK I made that last one up!). The first thing to do is weigh and log your food. Don't set your profile to lose immediately, or set it to lose only 1/2 lb a week. You need to get into the habit, and apparently it takes 30 days to make (or break) a habit. If you log food before you eat it, then you are making the choice to stick to your calories - or not - you don't get to the evening and find you "accidentally" don't have any calories left for dinner but you've got to eat, so that's another day "failed". Same with exercise - you don't need to go to a gym, you can go for a walk, you can dance around to the radio, any movement is good. But even better, if you can get a walk in early in the day, or at lunchtime, then that's your exercise box ticked whatever else happens - so if you're late home from work and/or too tired to exercise then at least you've done some anyway.
    Actually I now find I have more energy, so even if I'm tired when I get in I still make a point of doing some exercise - just 20 mins Wii Zumba, or a half-hour aerobic DVD workout - before I have a bath and get changed, and then its time to cook dinner. whereas if I ate first I wouldn't exercise.
    Its down to you making the choices, we can encourage you but we can't do it for you.
    Keep on logging, even if you go over, and slowly you will learn to make the right decisions - not logging doesn't mean it hasn't happened, it just means you're hiding from yourself.
  • 365daystofitgirl
    365daystofitgirl Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're suffering anxiety. Try one day at a time. Modern society is driven by consumerism. Take some time off the internet. Go for walks, enjoy nature, enjoy reading, meditation, quality time with friends and family. Once that's done, look at your diet. How are your calcium/potassium/Vit A/D levels? Do you need more greens? How many calories are you eating on a daily basis? 2000? try eating 1900. Done a week at 1900? try 1800 and so on. Never exercise? Join a club. Get someone to come with you on walks or to the gym. If you can't, get a stepper or stationary bike and try some spinning in front of the TV. I watched the entire series of Downton Abbey pedaling away in my bedroom, every morning and every evening. Ah, get a new pretty planner and write what you've done and what you'd like to do tomorrow. Every day is a day we haven't seen and we'll never see again. GL.