Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Government control of portion sizes and calories

Options
jesspen91
jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
edited August 2017 in Debate Club
This article was on the BBC this morning about the UK government setting targets to reduce the calories in fast food and ready meals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-40967300

Responses on Facebook were very negative with people feeling that this was too 'nanny-state' but I can see the benefits. It is difficult to make healthy decisions on convenience food when you only have an array of high calorie options. Bringing down he calories and portion sizes as a whole will help people make better decisions.

However, I believe that at a less controversial move would simply be to provide the nutritional information so that customers can make an informed choice. Some restaurant chains in the UK do this but the vast majority do not. Then you can make people more aware of how many calories they are consuming but they are allowed to make their own choice in whether to overindulge.

What do you think?

Replies

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem to make sense. The things they listed aren't massively high in calories if you pair them with reasonable eating throughout the day. No idea if they're typical but if not then why are they there?

I think asking chain restaurants to list nutritional information is fine, because it can be done centrally, but it will be a large burden on smaller places. Knowing the calories won't help if people don't know how many they personally can have - I'm wondering who this average woman is! 2000 calories maintains my current weight, which is far too much...
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem to make sense. The things they listed aren't massively high in calories if you pair them with reasonable eating throughout the day. No idea if they're typical but if not then why are they there?

I think asking chain restaurants to list nutritional information is fine, because it can be done centrally, but it will be a large burden on smaller places. Knowing the calories won't help if people don't know how many they personally can have - I'm wondering who this average woman is! 2000 calories maintains my current weight, which is far too much...

I agree, I looked at the calorie counts and thought I could easily fit most of them into even a 1200 calorie plan (with the possible exception of the pizza, and I don't think the Krispy Kreme would be worth it).
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    IMHO just better availability of calorie counts would help - they are slowly improving, but yeah
  • SSGKunze
    SSGKunze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Couldn't be against it much more but providing the calorie information should already be happening. Luckily I live in the US. I don't think it's the Govt's place at all people should make informed decisions and live with it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    robm1brown wrote: »
    A bigger issue is a lack of choice. I spent 3 days at the F1 earlier this year. The only food available on site was shockingly high in calories. I could barely find a piece of fruit everything was fried, battered or smothered in cheese. I didn't need smaller portions of the crap I needed an alternative. It is the same in all sorts of concerts, festivals and such like.

But it's not like that's what you have to choose from every single day. Perspective. I am surprised though that there wasn't a vegetarian or vegan stand, every event I've been to has had one and the options there are generally a lot less calorie dense.

But back to the OP. There are pluses and minuses. Chocolate bars have already shrunk over the years due to profit margins. But other foods have crept up like the burgers etc. Fact of the matter though is that if someone wants to overeat, they will. Single bag of crisps too small? Well I'll just have two or add in another snack with it.

There's already a vast array of "healthy" choice alternatives in British supermarkets, from ready meals to desserts to snacks. If people aren't choosing those or eating them in appropriate quantities then neither will legislating for manufacturers to produce smaller serving sizes. And lots of people do still home cook so there's nothing to be done about that from a legislation point of view, unless they start asking how many people you're cooking for and only sell you that amount. Which is clearly bonkers.

They should be investing time and money in education instead in my opinion. And introduce a lot more PE as part of the school curriculum.
  • jesspen91
    Options
    I am largely in agreement with what most people are saying. I think having choice is the most important thing. Given the choice, people who want to make healthier food choices will do so the majority of the time. For those who do not want to make those choices, that is up to them.

But I definitely stand my statement that we need to be given the calorie content of food in order to make these choices. I don't think this would be too difficult for small businesses.; If I can do it at home using the recipe builder on MFP why couldn't they do something similar with each new item on the menu? Obviously you are never going to get everything exactly the same each time, but an approximation is still useful.
  • jesspen91
    Options

True, if I ate 2000 calories a day without additional exercise I would be gaining at quite a steady rate! I am only 5"3 though.
  • jesspen91
    edited August 2017
    Options
    robm1brown wrote: »
    A bigger issue is a lack of choice. I spent 3 days at the F1 earlier this year. The only food available on site was shockingly high in calories. I could barely find a piece of fruit everything was fried, battered or smothered in cheese. I didn't need smaller portions of the crap I needed an alternative. It is the same in all sorts of concerts, festivals and such like.

But it's not like that's what you have to choose from every single day. Perspective. I am surprised though that there wasn't a vegetarian or vegan stand, every event I've been to has had one and the options there are generally a lot less calorie dense.

But back to the OP. There are pluses and minuses. Chocolate bars have already shrunk over the years due to profit margins. But other foods have crept up like the burgers etc. Fact of the matter though is that if someone wants to overeat, they will. Single bag of crisps too small? Well I'll just have two or add in another snack with it.

There's already a vast array of "healthy" choice alternatives in British supermarkets, from ready meals to desserts to snacks. If people aren't choosing those or eating them in appropriate quantities then neither will legislating for manufacturers to produce smaller serving sizes. And lots of people do still home cook so there's nothing to be done about that from a legislation point of view, unless they start asking how many people you're cooking for and only sell you that amount. Which is clearly bonkers.

They should be investing time and money in education instead in my opinion. And introduce a lot more PE as part of the school curriculum.

Urrgh not PE! Just kidding. Sort of. In all honesty I hated PE at school and it put me off exercise for a good few years after. I would rather follow a program at the gym or go for a run than always be in competition with others which stressed me out. But maybe that is the nature of teenagers rather than PE.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    People don't have to eat the whole meal. If they exercised a little self control and saved half of it for later this wouldn't be an issue. I get a footlong sub at subway, eat half of it and bring the other half home. Much cheaper than buying 2 six inch subs. I don't want the government banning footlong subs.