Fruits and Vegetables That Go Well Together

Options
Hey guys!
Is there any combination of fruits and/or vegetables that I could have as a snack in the afternoon? Under 100 or 150 calories?
Most days I have 8 or 9 hours between lunch and dinner, so it would be cool if it was pretty filling as well :D

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I find just fruit or veggies doesn't really fill me up. I like grapes or a peach with string cheese, or an apple or carrot sticks with a little peanut butter.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I find just fruit or veggies doesn't really fill me up. I like grapes or a peach with string cheese, or an apple or carrot sticks with a little peanut butter.

It's what I usually do, but I really need lower calories. Fruits and veggies are my best option here, I can eat more of it and get less calories (cheese and peanut butter, as tempting as they are, would ruin my goal).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    100 - 150 calories is not going to be filling. Fruit and/or vegetables on their own are likely to be less filling than say, protein + vegie/fruit, or fat+vegie/fruit.

I'd go vegie sticks with a dip. Or yoghurt with berries. Egg muffins. Fruit + nuts.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are filling. One cup cubed = 114 calories. I don't know what that is in grams.

If you have a fridge you could make a salad and include lettuce or spinach, both low calorie, cherry tomatoes (technically a fruit), etc. and probably come in under 150 calories.

What about carrots and apples? That's not going to be filling, but is something to munch on.
  • GottaluvFood
    GottaluvFood Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My snacks are between 100-200 calories, but there is only 7 hours between lunch & dinner for me. But fruit & veggie combo? Hmm...Most things I think of are more meal-ish or side dish-ish.

Black bean/avacodo, black bean/mango, etc. Don't know about limiting them to 150 calories.

My 100-200 calorie snacks--1 cup yogurt a/ wheat germ, toast with peanut butter, toast with smashed avacodo, apple with peanut butter, carrots w/ humus, 2 boiled eggs
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    susanayt97 wrote: »

It's what I usually do, but I really need lower calories. Fruits and veggies are my best option here, I can eat more of it and get less calories (cheese and peanut butter, as tempting as they are, would ruin my goal).

I can have 50 cals of carrots and 100 cals of PB. Or a 100 cal peach with a 60 cal string cheese. Honestly anything under 150 cals won't keep me full to be worth it anyway.

Maybe you would be better off tweaking your meals so you have a few more calories to keep you going for that 9 hour layover?
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I guess cucumbers would go with any kind of berry. If you really want filling though, I'd suggest a greek yogurt (full fat). they average 160 calories and have a hefty dose of protein/fat. If you cannot eat dairy though maybe pair some pistachios with a berry for a snack with more heft but still low cal?
  • susanayt97
    Options
    My snacks are between 100-200 calories, but there is only 7 hours between lunch & dinner for me. But fruit & veggie combo? Hmm...Most things I think of are more meal-ish or side dish-ish.

Black bean/avacodo, black bean/mango, etc. Don't know about limiting them to 150 calories.

My 100-200 calorie snacks--1 cup yogurt a/ wheat germ, toast with peanut butter, toast with smashed avacodo, apple with peanut butter, carrots w/ humus, 2 boiled eggs

Didn't even think of eggs, seems so obvious now, thanks!
  • susanayt97
    Options

I can have 50 cals of carrots and 100 cals of PB. Or a 100 cal peach with a 60 cal string cheese. Honestly anything under 150 cals won't keep me full to be worth it anyway.

Maybe you would be better off tweaking your meals so you have a few more calories to keep you going for that 9 hour layover?

It's so much smarter to leave out some more calories for my snacks, but the problem is that I'm currently living with my family and they don't eat well at all. I've tried eating different things, but then they say I'm obsessed, they don't understand. So I have to make some cuts on breakfast and snacks :/
  • susanayt97
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I guess cucumbers would go with any kind of berry. If you really want filling though, I'd suggest a greek yogurt (full fat). they average 160 calories and have a hefty dose of protein/fat. If you cannot eat dairy though maybe pair some pistachios with a berry for a snack with more heft but still low cal?

I'm lactose intolerant, but there are dairy-free yogurts. But only with added sugars, which make me feel hungry just one hour after I eat it.
    I'll give pistachios a try though, thanks!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

It's so much smarter to leave out some more calories for my snacks, but the problem is that I'm currently living with my family and they don't eat well at all. I've tried eating different things, but then they say I'm obsessed, they don't understand. So I have to make some cuts on breakfast and snacks :/

Have you tried cutting breakfast? You might find you can last til later in the day, and give yourself extra cals to play with for later meals
  • susanayt97
    Options

Have you tried cutting breakfast? You might find you can last til later in the day, and give yourself extra cals to play with for later meals

Yes, I've done it before! But I noticed I'm a lot less hungry during the day if I have breakfast. If fruit and veggies don't work, I'll give it another try! It would for sure add 200 extra calories
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Fat and protein do help with satiety. You don't have to eat over 150 calories, just limit how much you eat of the fatty food. Half a Granny Smith apple and 1 tbs peanut butter, less than 150. 2% Cottage cheese plus celery, less than 100. Greek yogurt 80 calories, berries 50 calories. Small amount of hummus plus crudités, 150.

I think it's important to set boundaries with your family if you are going to be living with them for the foreseeable future. It's not reasonable for you to expect them to cook differently for your benefit, but you do need the ability to control your own intake by substituting or turning down foods. Without being criticized.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    By the way, many lactose intolerant people can eat Greek yogurt.

http://www.dairyspot.com/greek-yogurt-lactose-gluten-intolerant/
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!
    Is there any combination of fruits and/or vegetables that I could have as a snack in the afternoon? Under 100 or 150 calories?
    Most days I have 8 or 9 hours between lunch and dinner, so it would be cool if it was pretty filling as well :D

If you have a microwave, you could have a cup of soup (Amy's brand split pea soup has 2 servings at 100 calories each -- you would have to store the other half).

That would leave you 50 calories for whatever you decided -- carrots, green pepper, some apple slices, etc.
  • susanayt97
    Options
    Fat and protein do help with satiety. You don't have to eat over 150 calories, just limit how much you eat of the fatty food. Half a Granny Smith apple and 1 tbs peanut butter, less than 150. 2% Cottage cheese plus celery, less than 100. Greek yogurt 80 calories, berries 50 calories. Small amount of hummus plus crudités, 150.

I think it's important to set boundaries with your family if you are going to be living with them for the foreseeable future. It's not reasonable for you to expect them to cook differently for your benefit, but you do need the ability to control your own intake by substituting or turning down foods. Without being criticized.

Definitely! I cook vegetables for every meal and skip or eat very little of rice/pasta/potatoes, they always comment anyway, but there isn't much I can do about the protein.
    I'm going back to college in less than a month and I'll be able to eat how I want there, if I succeed I'll be able to eat more calories by Christmas and it won't be so difficult hopefully.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Smoothie? Water can be filling.
  • susanayt97
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    Hey guys!

If you have a microwave, you could have a cup of soup (Amy's brand split pea soup has 2 servings at 100 calories each -- you would have to store the other half).

That would leave you 50 calories for whatever you decided -- carrots, green pepper, some apple slices, etc.

That's such a great idea! Soup definitely sounds a lot more filling than everything else!
  • susanayt97
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Smoothie? Water can be filling.

I feel like I'd be done with the smoothie way to fast and I enjoy chewing haha
    I drink so much water already, but because it's such a long time it doesn't really help much