Why the WOOs

Options
LynnJ9
LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
edited August 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Recently I responded to a post asking about the Medifast plan. Here was my response:

I am using Medifast. I say using because I eat their food which I buy online and I count my calories, filling in with other food to get to my calorie goal. I love it because each of their items have a about 11 grams carbs, 4 g fat and about 14 g of protein.
I don't follow their lean and green meal rules exactly, I just eat an additional 500 calories of any food I choose. I do try to keep with high protein low fat meals because it keeps me feeling the fullest. I had been losing about 1.75 lbs per week which was about 1% of my weight. I can see my loss is starting to slow down to 1.5 lbs per weight which makes sense and is again 1% of my body weight.
I know people will say that I need eat regular food or I won't learn to count my calories. But I am counting my calories, I log everything, I eat a variety of food 1 to 2 meals a day, I eat 6 small meals which works for me and I log my exercise calories.
I find it works better for me to keep my settings at maintenance and sedentary, then eat under that and add my steps and exercise.

Why would people WOO that?

Is it because I am losing about 1% of my body weight a week? I thought that was the ideal?
Is it because I make sure I try to stay right at 1200 calories? Isn't that the ideal minimum?
Is it because I try to eat high protein meals that also have a good amount of carbs so I have energy and feel full?
Is it because I log everything I eat, weigh all my food (except veggies and lettuce) plan my meals so I stay within both my calorie and macro goals?
Or was it simply because I said I use the Medifast meals? They have high protein and a god number of carbs, they are easy for me grab in the morning, they are perfect for my small meals.
My diary is public. I am proud of how much I have lost, and I am encouraged by how mucheck I have learned about calorie counting and my food choices. I really am truly perplexed, How is that worth a WOO?

Replies

• LynnJ9
    Options
    Maybe they were excited for you? Some people use woo for that.

That is a nice thought, I thought WOO were just that they thought you were wrong. Thanks
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Woo is definitely used as a positive comment too!
  • LynnJ9
    Options
    sallyd837 wrote: »
    Dont know where youre all from, but as an aussie, ive only ever used a woo for like a "well done/good on you" never knew it would be used for anything more. Id woo you to your effort, loss, planning and sticking to it :)

Thank you!
  • LynnJ9
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I wouldn't have personally Wood that because it's just talking about personal experience and not preaching some broscience but I would not be completely on board with such a plan for myself.
    • 1% is not ideal, it's the MAXIMUM that can be lost healthily and is teetering right at the line between "fine" and "are you kidding me", and is usually not fine for people who aren't exceptionally active.
    • 1200 is the MINIMUM (again, not ideal) BEFORE exercise - any extra activity means extra calories, and it's mostly suitable for someone who is light and short, which by the rate of your weight loss it appears you aren't. You are essentially netting under 1000.
    • I wouldn't personally diet using Medifast because it's not about learning how to count calories, it's about learning how to live life around regular food, how to handle food situations, how to pick your battles... Etc. I wouldn't personally waste my money on it because it wouldn't be teaching me much in terms of practical experience, but I'm not explicitly against it if that's what someone chooses to do.

I got woos for weirder replies, I wouldn't worry too much about that, but I do encourage you to reconsider your calorie intake.

Here is one of my replies that good a "Woo" just for the giggles:

"I love Nutella! I can also polish a can of condensed milk with a spoon, so there is that."

Thank you, you gave me a lot to think about. I am not very active at the moment, I am having knee issues, but I am a high school teacher, so I do walk a lot, so based on what you said 1200 calories is ok, but at the same time, since I am not active 1% might be too much. Honestly I have been surprised how much I have been losing. In the past I felt like I ate even less and struggled to lose weight. I think the difference is logging everything, even a tablespoon of peanut butter or a handful of chips, and weighing my food instead of eyeballing it or measuring it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    sallyd837 wrote: »
    Dont know where youre all from, but as an aussie, ive only ever used a woo for like a "well done/good on you" never knew it would be used for anything more. Id woo you to your effort, loss, planning and sticking to it :)

I'm an Aussie too, and first heard the term "woo" as its used here when i joined mfp. So i use it in the woo-bro science way, cos that's the way i learnt to use it.

If it had hoo behind it, as in woo-hoo, then that couldn't be mistaken. But on mfp the word woo does not have a positive conitation associated with it..

• Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Before I asked and knew that "woo" was meant as a negative type thung, or unfounded whatever or what not lol, I used to "woo" when I was like " ooh girl/guy lookit you woot woot ,way to go" then I found out it was what it was sooo. Yeah I never like to use that anymore. I would rather not say anything. I usually get "wood" ... I meeeean "woo00" d lol when I talk about ACV.
  • LynnJ9
    Options
    Before I asked and knew that "woo" was meant as a negative type thung, or unfounded whatever or what not lol, I used to "woo" when I was like " ooh girl/guy lookit you woot woot ,way to go" then I found out it was what it was sooo. Yeah I never like to use that anymore. I would rather not say anything. I usually get "wood" ... I meeeean "woo00" d lol when I talk about ACV.

Lol woot woot to you too!