Why the WOOs

Options

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Woo? I had to think a minute about what that actually means. In the language I use (born in Africa, live in the UK) we use woo! hoo! as a term of encouragement and to signify excitement. It means positive things. I am not sure what a woo on its own means other than the old fashioned term to woo someone as in try and capture their affections.

Oh ha! It is a button at the bottom of the post. See, just how confusing this all becomes? Ha! I learnt something new this morning...It means awesome...I guess as the face looks ecstatic...

p.s. if you are going to base how you feel and what not on the button reactions people give, then...I dunno. I do not do things based on other people's reactions. For serious. I do things for me. I am not from the social media generation. MFP and another forum make up my daily dose of internet.
  • 40lbslighter
    40lbslighter Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Woo? I had to think a minute about what that actually means. In the language I use (born in Africa, live in the UK) we use woo! hoo! as a term of encouragement and to signify excitement. It means positive things. I am not sure what a woo on its owm means other than the old fashioned term to woo someone as in try and capture their affections.

Agreed.

I'm from the USA and, until relatively recently, it has had the same meanings you identified. Apparently the derogatory association of "woo" evolved from a 1990's term "woo-woo," used by science writers to ridicule people who believe or promote pseudoscientific explanations of things. (from RationalWiki http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo)

Man, language is (d)evolving so fast these days... it's tough to keep up!
  • 40lbslighter
    40lbslighter Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    smh_cliff wrote: »
    On my phone, woo looks like a super happy face. On my laptop it's looks like a "wtf a you talking about" face. I've avoided using it for that reason lol

Hahaha!

Since I am a recovering "Woo" user, I will refrain from clicking the button-on-the-far-right...

=D

• Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I have found I hit that button on accident. I am usually on my phone so when I scroll, that button is RIGHT where my finger touches my screen. It's annoying as all get out! Same with the quote button on the left. I try to catch it when I do accidentally hit it and correct it but my guess is I have missed a bunch. I think it's stupid to begin with with so never purposely use it.