Craving Carbs

Options

Replies

• MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I know the fruit carbs/sugars add up; however, veggies have carbs as well, so my carb levels spike up and if I eat fruit, my sugar goes up(understandably).. Is there a way that MFP can distinguish the good carbs/sugar vs the bad? It kills my percentiles/ graph and makes it appear that I always go over.

One, there really are no "good/bad" carbs and sugars, but there are foods with higher/lower carbs and sugars. You'd really have to do some research to determine which fruits and veggies contain the lowest amount and make your own choice about which to eat.

https://bodybuilding.com/content/the-ultimate-list-of-40-low-carb-foods.html
  • tabithahayes2000
    tabithahayes2000 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It just seems that I cannot honestly fit my food intake into a realistic goal percentage(protein/.carbs/ fat. Eat healthy and nutritious is my goal so I think I need to find perhaps more of a Whole Food type of group? Thank you SO much for the low carb list! I love reminding myself of the low/high foods. Thank you so much!
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I know the fruit carbs/sugars add up; however, veggies have carbs as well, so my carb levels spike up and if I eat fruit, my sugar goes up(understandably).. Is there a way that MFP can distinguish the good carbs/sugar vs the bad? It kills my percentiles/ graph and makes it appear that I always go over.

A carbohydrate is a carbohydrate. MFP can't distinguish between "good" and "bad" carbohydrates because those categories don't really have a meaning.

This.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

A carbohydrate is a carbohydrate. MFP can't distinguish between "good" and "bad" carbohydrates because those categories don't really have a meaning.

Exactly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    nmagdy2017 wrote: »
    Wow! You are such an amazing community. Thanks for your willingness to help. To answer all the questions:

My calorie intake is 1300 per day
    Weight: 73 kg
    Height:165 cm
    I am trying to reduce carbs in my daily intake so the distribution is:
    - 45% protin
    - 25% carbs
    - 30% fats. (To be honest, I haven't been keen to get healthy fats).

I started noticing the crave with grapes then my main weak point is bread

First, 1300 is pretty low. If you are set up to lose 2 lbs per week, but have less than 75 or so lbs to lose, your deficit is really aggressive and you can change that to get more calories, which can help with cravings.

Also, most people who do lower carbs do higher fat. Perhaps focusing on getting a little more fat will help you not to eat more carbs than you want to. 45% is pretty high protein, while some people find protein satiating, maybe you don't. You could def reduce that while still getting all the benefits of increased protein.

Finally, as everyone else has said, nothing wrong with higher carbs if that's what works for you :). What you have to figure out is - if I eat enough carbs to satisfy my cravings, does it put me over my calorie goal? Does it crowd out other stuff I want in my diet? If not, you're good.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    When we are thinking about our entire healthy being, all carbs are not equal. Sources of carbs absolutely matter. The FDA recommends you limit your intake of simple carbohydrates such as refined grains and sugar, which people often refer to as "bad carbs." Further, we are encouraged to increase complex carbs with fiber. When people discuss the "good carbs" these are to what they are usually referring. Before I get "Woo"s like crazy, this is the FDA I'm using as a source, folks. Health isn't all about weight loss.

My doctor and recent lab numbers disagree.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are such an amazing community. Thanks for your willingness to help. To answer all the questions:

My calorie intake is 1300 per day
    Weight: 73 kg
    Height:165 cm
    I am trying to reduce carbs in my daily intake so the distribution is:
    - 45% protin
    - 25% carbs
    - 30% fats. (To be honest, I haven't been keen to get healthy fats).

I started noticing the crave with grapes then my main weak point is bread

So 5'5" and 160 pounds. What's your final goal weight? What's your weekly weight loss goal set to? What percentage of your exercise calories do you eat back?

As others have said, part of the problem may be that you are creating an overly aggressive calorie deficit.

When my appetite spikes premenstrually, I'd crave carbs if I didn't adjust to maintenance calories for a few days and simply eat more regular food.

Also, eating protein with carbs helps me a lot. I'd never have just grapes, but add some cheese or nuts to it. Nuts have healthy fat, as does avocado.

Bread from wheat flour can trigger me, but bread from sprouted grains from brands like Ezekial or Alvarado St Bakery (available in the freezer section of all the grocery stores in my area) does not.
  • rakshamv
    rakshamv Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    rakshamv wrote: »
    Eat carbs for breakfast. Have good carbs like quinoa and oats. Make sure you have them in breakfast everyday. Lunch - reduce carb intake. Make is lower. Dinner - no carbs. Start slow. Get carbs off dinner completely. Then, try the same for lunch when you are comfortable with no carb dinners. When we try and take carbs out completely, they come back and bite us just like this. So go slow and do it one meal at a time. Give your body a little time.

Why should the op only eat carbs in the morning? What's wrong with carbs later in the day?

Carbs aren't bad.

Carbs aren't bad at all. Since she has specific carb craving, I suggested what helped me.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Hi All

REALLY NEED HELP
    I have been trying to adjust my bad eating habits and loss weight but I remain to be at the same place for so long now.
    The reason is basicly carbs. All of a sudden I crave them as an addict and eat A LOT. Mostly late at night but it happens in the morning too.
    Any advises to stop this? :'(

I second adjusting your macros to include more carbohydrates (40 protein, 30 carb, 30 fat) and don't be stingy with the fat, since that may help with satiety. Choose carb-rich foods that also contain at least 5g of fiber a serving - this may also help you with satiety. Finally, I would suggest that maybe your deficit is too steep to be reasonable.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Well, you can eat white rice or whole grain rice. White bread or whole wheat. Apple juice or apples.

Same carbs, but which is more nutritious?

If your diet is lacking in fiber, then yeah it would probably be healthier to eat the "whole" version. But if you are already eating a nutritious diet, there is no harm in having some apple juice or a couple of slices of white bread. For what it's worth, there is hardly any difference between white rice and brown rice nutritionally.

But it doesn't seem like OP had any questions about health or nutrition, and if she is trying to eat less carbs, whether the carb is a healthier carb or not is kind of immaterial, isn't it?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Reading your post reminded me of how I used to feel and behave when I was eating more carbs than my body could handle. People who are frequently craving crackers, potatoes, breads, pasta, chips, cakes, etc are possibly suffering from the effects of unbalanced blood sugar and insulin response. If you completely stop eating these kinds of carbs for a week, just to experiment, you might notice that by the end of the week you don't crave these foods quite so much. If that's the case, do another week. Hard as it is to believe, maybe you're happier without those foods because a life without cravings is pretty peaceful. Or maybe not.

You're going to get conflicting advice on carbs. The bottom line is, you need to determine for yourself what is the right amount of carbs for you through trial and error. All I can do is tell you what works for me, but what works for me is not universal. I do recommend that you experiment with my way and experiment with someone else's way. You'll discover what makes you happy and satisfied that way.

This is what works for me:
    I consume around 80 - 90 grams carbs a day on a 1250 - 1300 calorie diet. (I'm sedentary due to physical limitations.)
    I try not to eat more than 40 grams of carbs in one meal.
    I ALWAYS eat around 30 grams of protein before consuming carbs, unless the carbs come from veggies or yogurt.
    I think of grains, rice, starchy veggies like corn and potatoes, refined sugar and fruit as treats to eat only after I meet my protein goal and eat a variety of veggies and some healthy fats.
    No foods are off limits. I just recognize that if I eat cake, I will be hungry and cranky and pestered by cravings every 1/2 hour for a few days afterward. I don't claim to know the physiology behind this. I just know it's true for me.

This way of eating has helped tremendously in taming my cravings for grains, starches and refined sugars. Maybe it's worth a try for you. If it doesn't calm down your cravings, then it's not the right approach for you. Best wishes!