Freezer Containers.

Options
What containers do you recommend for make ahead frozen meals. Must be good at keeping freezer burn out.

Thanks

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I use a food saver that removes air from my bags before sealing.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    With meat or chicken, I wrap in saran wrap and then tightly in foil. The saran is so that the meat does not stick to the foil when I decide to defrost.
    Then, I put in a zip lock freezer bag and suck the air out with a straw as best as I can.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,639 Member
    Options
    I like round tempered glass bowls with snap-on plastic lids (Anchor and Pyrex are the brands I have). You can freeze, microwave, bake, and serve all in the same bowl if you wish. The round ones seal tighter than the square/rectangular. I find the 1C and 2C sizes most useful, but I cook for just me, and those are reasonable for 1-2 servings of a range of things.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I freeze lots of soup, and I just do that in ziplock bags. Lay them flat on a cookie sheet to freeze, then you can just stack them in your freezer.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I freeze lots of soup, and I just do that in ziplock bags. Lay them flat on a cookie sheet to freeze, then you can just stack them in your freezer.

This. I do this with everything, not just soup. I always have lots of frozen meals frozen flat like this, it takes up much less space than containers, and I have a tiny freezer.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What containers do you recommend for make ahead frozen meals. Must be good at keeping freezer burn out.

Thanks

I use the freebies that sandwich meat comes packed in. Never had freezer burn yet. For soups and saucy stews, I use the containers that Talenti Gelato comes in. Nice hard plastic and again, never had freezer burn.

Meat gets wrapped in waxed paper to separate individual portions, then aluminum foil and a freezer bag.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have a on of the Ikea $2 containers, they have a rubber seal and don't leak, and a steam valve for reheating.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I start with these.......
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I like round tempered glass bowls with snap-on plastic lids (Anchor and Pyrex are the brands I have). You can freeze, microwave, bake, and serve all in the same bowl if you wish. The round ones seal tighter than the square/rectangular. I find the 1C and 2C sizes most useful, but I cook for just me, and those are reasonable for 1-2 servings of a range of things.

Then once frozen transfer to these.
    capaul42 wrote: »

That means I only need a handful of the Pyrex dishes, but lots of meals in the freezer.

This method worked great when my son and DIL were expecting. I bought them matching Pyrex, made a couple of months worth of meals at my home, then ferried, (literally) all the food saver packages over to them in a cooler.

Cheers, h.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    I start with these.......
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Then once frozen transfer to these.
    capaul42 wrote: »

That means I only need a handful of the Pyrex dishes, but lots of meals in the freezer.

This method worked great when my son and DIL were expecting. I bought them matching Pyrex, made a couple of months worth of meals at my home, then ferried, (literally) all the food saver packages over to them in a cooler.

Cheers, h.

When my brother's kids first moved out on their own, every Christmas I would buy them some kind of kitchen thing (baking dish, food storage, etc) and give it to them filled with some kind of food. The favorite with both of them was the 13x9 cake pan filled with a lasagna.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Pyrex! I am slowly transitioning my entire kitchen to Pyrex containers. Food goes in fresh, into freezer, and then straight out to thaw and go into the microwave or oven for easy heating.
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Pyrex! I am slowly transitioning my entire kitchen to Pyrex containers. Food goes in fresh, into freezer, and then straight out to thaw and go into the microwave or oven for easy heating.

I am doing this too. As a single person, the 3 cup Pyrex rectangles are my go to. Stack nicely, hold about the perfect amount for me, and can be frozen, microwaved, and dishwashed.
  • earlnabby
    edited August 2017
    Options

Just be careful of brand new Pyrex. They aren't as shatterproof as the original (still good, just not as good). Going from freezer to oven is NOT a good idea with the new formula but the old stuff will without an issue.

My Mom passed away last year and when we cleaned out her house I grabbed every piece of her Pyrex I could because she has had it for a long time (some since before I was born).
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use the plastic Gladware or similar brand. I found some of mine, BOGO. Freeze it then microwave it. I usually eat it within 2 weeks, so I am not worried about keeping it sealing it for a super long time.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of the wide mouth freezable canning jars. But I also use my foodsaver (sometimes with the canning jars),or glad containers.