Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Amusement park in the south discriminating obese? How can they be more fair?

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I did get a discount for staying at a motel that had two options: B&B or full-meal plan and not entering the dining hall once. (I'm strictly kosher. We brought our own non-perishable food for three days.) Thing is, it was the motel's offer, not my request. We understood the terms when we booked the room and just figured the getaway was worth it, even if it included paying for something we weren't going to use.

Oh that's interesting - I've never seen that kind of discount offered. That kind of accommodation would absolutely make me a devoted return customer.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    I just about fitted into Crushs roller coaster in disneyland . Being 6'3" i had just enough leg room .
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    edited August 2017
    I guess I find it a little odd it's worded that way and so specific. A general weight limit would make sense, but then I've been over 200lbs most of my life and I've never had the experience of not being able to go on a ride so it seems a bit strange. Usually the issue on rides with larger people is the restraints being unable to lock into position, which isn't determined by weight necessarily. But that's why parks should always have those tester seats out at the beginning of the line, so people can find out on their own if they can go on the ride without the embarrassment and waste of time that is being turned away at the door.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    How about a pro-rated price for everyone? Each person could be run through a series of screens on their way into the park, checking for height, weight, and age, as well as other medical conditions such as epilepsy, pregnancy, heart disease, orthopedic injuries, etc. Then the price could be based on the percentage of attractions that the person could potentially visit. So small children would only pay for the attractions in the kiddie land, carousel, etc. plus all the shows. Obese people wouldn't pay for roller coasters or kiddie rides. (Unless they are obese kids).
    Those who get motion sickness can't really ride the roller coasters either, or any other "motion" rides, so they shouldn't have to pay for those.
    Sound like a good idea?
    Maybe in the future people will have a chip implanted (by choice), and those with medical conditions and disabilities such as obesity could get a reduced rate at park entrance. Each ride entrance would have a chip reader.
    This technology could also be used to determine how much to charge people pay buffets. I would be willing to pay extra compared to a 100 lb person. I see nothing wrong with this.

It's funny you should mention this. I have an interest in transhumanism (the technological modification of the human body) and when the technology gets more stable can see something like this coming into existence. Some people have already had themselves chipped.

For the time being though I might just settle for the next gen Apple watch though...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    As for discounts, people who can't swim should get a hotel discount because they can't use the pool, and people with allergies should get a discount at restaurants because the selection of food available to them is smaller.

For what it's worth, when I was a kid and used to go to amusement parks we usually bought this roll of tickets at the entrance that connected together like stamps. Are these gone now? Do people have to get a full pass at the entrance? I haven't been to an amusement park in 20 years.
  • mph323
    At our little boardwalk amusement park you can still get the tickets, but I don't know about any of the bigger ones around here (Great America is the closest).
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Wondering if my teammate can get a 20% discount considering he has an artificial leg.

Just kidding, we've tried this before...funny to watch people's reactions when they don't realize we're messing with them.
  • mph323
    lalepepper wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I think that size restrictions for rides are completely understandable, but I don't agree with their method.
    That said, I think setting a cut off weight is silly. I'm a 6' woman. The upper end of healthy weight tops out at 183. If I were 200 lbs I would be under 20 lbs into overweight. I think having a tester seat is a better solution to fit the variety of bodies that would come and could fit safely.

Except the weight restrictions apply to the maximum weight the ride is designed to take, not whether or not the person riding is obese. A tall, muscular, fit person exceeding the weight limits would be at the same risk riding as a smaller obese person.

Then make it a hardline weight restriction for everyone, rather than singling out women based on the weight.

That's what I was getting at - as I said, I think size restrictions are completely understandable. Size includes height and weight. But saying women over 200 not allowed but allowing men over 200 is silly. If you're too big, you're too big, regardless of sex.

Scroll back to my previous posts and you'll see I agree with you :) My takeaway from your comment was that weight limits shouldn't apply.
  • peckchris3267
    peckchris3267 Posts: 368 Member
    I think that size restrictions for rides are completely understandable, but I don't agree with their method.
    That said, I think setting a cut off weight is silly. I'm a 6' woman. The upper end of healthy weight tops out at 183. If I were 200 lbs I would be under 20 lbs into overweight. I think having a tester seat is a better solution to fit the variety of bodies that would come and could fit safely.
    Some rides have a weight limit for safety reasons like our zip lines, climbing tower, and water slide.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited August 2017
    msf74 wrote: »
    How about a pro-rated price for everyone? Each person could be run through a series of screens on their way into the park, checking for height, weight, and age, as well as other medical conditions such as epilepsy, pregnancy, heart disease, orthopedic injuries, etc. Then the price could be based on the percentage of attractions that the person could potentially visit. So small children would only pay for the attractions in the kiddie land, carousel, etc. plus all the shows. Obese people wouldn't pay for roller coasters or kiddie rides. (Unless they are obese kids).
    Those who get motion sickness can't really ride the roller coasters either, or any other "motion" rides, so they shouldn't have to pay for those.
    Sound like a good idea?
    Maybe in the future people will have a chip implanted (by choice), and those with medical conditions and disabilities such as obesity could get a reduced rate at park entrance. Each ride entrance would have a chip reader.
    This technology could also be used to determine how much to charge people pay buffets. I would be willing to pay extra compared to a 100 lb person. I see nothing wrong with this.

It's funny you should mention this. I have an interest in transhumanism (the technological modification of the human body) and when the technology gets more stable can see something like this coming into existence. Some people have already had themselves chipped.

For the time being though I might just settle for the next gen Apple watch though...

@msf74 I read this article the other day - fascinating!!!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/worlds-first-cyborg-human-evolution-science/
  • mph323
    msf74 wrote: »
    Sound like a good idea?

I read this article the other day - fascinating!!!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/04/worlds-first-cyborg-human-evolution-science/

Thanks for posting that - I think it's fascinating too!