Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Amusement park in the south discriminating obese? How can they be more fair?

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    At our little boardwalk amusement park you can still get the tickets, but I don't know about any of the bigger ones around here (Great America is the closest).

You can to the state or county fair and generally buy individual ride tickets.
  • lichn
    lichn Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

it's a shame that the average population is overweight leaning toward obese.

as for singling out woman I suspect it has more to do with average height of woman vs weight where as an average man who is 200lbs is not as big around as a woman who is 200lbs...

This is absolutely ludicrous, there is no scientific justification for singling out women for weight based restrictions and your guess here is absolute nonsense. Rough estimates of the "average" female vs the "average" male are no basis for sound policy when there is quite a bit of overlap and variation in physical morphology, both within and between genders. If a ride can accommodate a 5'7" man weighing 200 lbs it can accommodate a woman of the same height and weight. How about a 6'2" woman vs a 6'2" man? 200 lbs would be within the normal range for both. This is why amusement parks usually have far more general regulations and leave it to the informed discretion of staff when helping attendees to the ride's seats.

The amusement park in my city has restrictions listed for individual rides, based on a sound engineering evaluation of each one. This is scientifically sound and totally reasonable, it's a policy based on facts instead of generalized bias. Frankly, I wouldn't trust the safety of the rides at any amusement park that couldn't safely accommodate a 200 lb person of any gender, on at least a fair number of its rides.
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    lalepepper wrote: »
    I think that size restrictions for rides are completely understandable, but I don't agree with their method.
    That said, I think setting a cut off weight is silly. I'm a 6' woman. The upper end of healthy weight tops out at 183. If I were 200 lbs I would be under 20 lbs into overweight. I think having a tester seat is a better solution to fit the variety of bodies that would come and could fit safely.
    Some rides have a weight limit for safety reasons like our zip lines, climbing tower, and water slide.

As I clarified above, I meant having a cut off weight specifically for women. I see how my original post could be construed as dismissing weight limits all together. I completely agree that weight limits are reasonable, but having a particular one for women that is different than men does not make sense.
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is a fair or right answer here, it's just the way it is. As an obese person I don't even take offence to it, it just wouldn't make sense and safety wise you can't always accommodate every body type.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    We were at Six Flags a few weeks ago. A lot of their motion rides had a feature which I liked: they provided seats outside of the line area for patrons to try. It's similar to the way that airlines provide fixture that show whether your bag will fit in the overhead bin.

That way there was much less ambiguity. If you don't fit in the test seat -- if you can't buckle the straps or lower the bar -- then you won't fit on the ride.

Yes, Carowinds in North/South Carolina does this as well. This actually makes a lot of sense to me, because 200lbs can look very different on people.

ETA - and it also gets rid of the gender specific qualification as well.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    We were at Six Flags a few weeks ago. A lot of their motion rides had a feature which I liked: they provided seats outside of the line area for patrons to try. It's similar to the way that airlines provide fixture that show whether your bag will fit in the overhead bin.

That way there was much less ambiguity. If you don't fit in the test seat -- if you can't buckle the straps or lower the bar -- then you won't fit on the ride.

King's Dominion in Doswell, VA and Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA have these as well.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Yes, Carowinds in North/South Carolina does this as well. This actually makes a lot of sense to me, because 200lbs can look very different on people.

Ah, Carowinds! I worked there when I was in high school, serving up all-the-way foot long hot dogs at Billy Bob's Barbecue. I haven't been there in decades.
    Whoa, I just had a look at the park map. I hardly recognize anything on there!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

If they had these seats at entrance to the park they could eliminate the nuances of describing who can and cannot go on the rides. A simple "If you don't fit in this seat you can't go on the ride" would eliminate all ambiguity and let people know up front whether the rides are an option for them. Does anyone know of a park that does this?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

If they had these seats at entrance to the park they could eliminate the nuances of describing who can and cannot go on the rides. A simple "If you don't fit in this seat you can't go on the ride" would eliminate all ambiguity and let people know up front whether the rides are an option for them. Does anyone know of a park that does this?

Wouldn't different types of rides have different restrictions, though? Having the seats specific to that ride close to each ride seems to make more sense. Then again, I haven't been to an amusement park since my high school days cruising the county fair.
  • SSGKunze
    SSGKunze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It seems very reasonable to me parks have always done things like this for safety reasons... Nobody is forced to go there if your overweight past Roller Coaster rules maybe that's not a great weekend trip to take unless you plan on skipping the rides like anyone else who might have a condition like hearts and or backs plenty of people can't ride them. You choose what to spend your money on, be responsible and check the place out online before you go. I also imagine if you didn't know and asked for your money back right after buying tickets they would refund you anyway.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Wouldn't different types of rides have different restrictions, though? Having the seats specific to that ride close to each ride seems to make more sense. Then again, I haven't been to an amusement park since my high school days cruising the county fair.

I was thinking of having a seat for every ride at the entrance. That way if your focus is the rides (or even some of the rides) and you don't fit, you don't have to pay to get into the park and then find out you can't ride. I don't know of any places that do this (all the test seats are in front of the specific ride) but I think it makes sense.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think that most amusement parks just charge you a given rate to get in regardless of what you actually intend to do, like Disney World and Cedar Point. My mother-in-law hates rides and rarely does anything more than walk around and occasionally ride the train, but has to pay full admission; once you are in the gate, there are no controls in place to limit your activity, you can ride anything (that your size permits). Once they start allowing discounted admission based upon riding certain rides, I think it becomes too difficult to administer.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »

Ah, Carowinds! I worked there when I was in high school, serving up all-the-way foot long hot dogs at Billy Bob's Barbecue. I haven't been there in decades.
    Whoa, I just had a look at the park map. I hardly recognize anything on there!

Yes, they really keep changing things there. They added a new roller coaster fairly recently. I've only been about 3 times, but I remember the seats they had outside the ride, at least for some of them.