2»

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    jayjay_90 wrote: »
    Hey folks!

In the spring I ran my first half-marathon. I kind of buggered off my training more than I wanted to leading up to it (life.) but I still finished ahead of my goal time by a few minutes, so I was overall happy with it. At the time I thought there was no way I wanted to train for a full but.... I've got the marathon itch now! I'd like to be able to say I've run at least 1, so I'm planning on doing one next spring.

Hoping for some advice from marathon runners like, how long in advance should I start my training, what kind of training do you find helped you, what kind of food do you eat before running, (I'm used to running on empty, even for the half I only had a protein bar and a banana before the race because I'm prone to cramping.) to bring nourishment along for the run or not, etc! I'm excited to give it a go but I want to be smarter about this one than I was my half.

Advice or links to some solid articles would be lovely!

I could help get things started, if you're interested. Training for a full marathon is no east feat, and more is needed than what you did for the half you ran in the spring. I am currently helping another MFP friend go through the same training process for his race in October, and I am quite familiar with "running on empty" and how to manage that. I'll leave it to you if you would like to send me a quick note or send me a friend request, and we can talk more about the next steps.

who not post it on here so lurkers can also benefit?

Probably looking for $$......

Nope! I'm not looking for money at all, but am more than willing to help others achieve their goals, as others have helped me. Thanks for immediately assuming though.

Then why not do what everyone else is doing and publicly giving your advice?

OP, I'm sure you are smart enough to work out which advice suits you ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last peak week for my third marathon. What's worked for me is:

- I looked at a bunch of training plans, my own schedule, and my training limitations (I'm prone to injury if I run too many consecutive days thanks to absolutely rubbish feet), and wrote out my own training plan.
    - I use a combination of running and elliptical work
    - I tested out gels and found the only one I can stomach (salted caramel gu) and bought a couple boxes. But I don't use them much during training, usually only an over 30km run
    - I always eat before running, but I suck without breakfast generally. If I could train fasted I would. I have a particular pre race breakfast: two pieces of toast and a certain protein bar I can only get from a certain shop :)
    - I always set 3 time goals for the marathon to help me focus. So far my times have been 3:41 and 3:32 so my A goal next month is 3:20something, B goal faster than last marathon, C goal faster than first marathon

Hope you have fun. I love marathon training :)

salted caramel GU are my favourite too!!! :drinker:
  • SweatsOnSunday
    SweatsOnSunday Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Haven't had the salted caramel, but will look for it! Most of the GUs are great.

I have a birthday coming up, and I'm trying to work in a marathon for that same weekend. Pushing my body and just seeing what it can do would be a great way to mark another year.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options

- I looked at a bunch of training plans, my own schedule, and my training limitations (I'm prone to injury if I run too many consecutive days thanks to absolutely rubbish feet), and wrote out my own training plan.
    - I tested out gels and found the only one I can stomach (salted caramel gu) and bought a couple boxes. But I don't use them much during training, usually only an over 30km run
    - I always eat before running, but I suck without breakfast generally. If I could train fasted I would. I have a particular pre race breakfast: two pieces of toast and a certain protein bar I can only get from a certain shop :)
    - I always set 3 time goals for the marathon to help me focus. So far my times have been 3:41 and 3:32 so my A goal next month is 3:20something, B goal faster than last marathon, C goal faster than first marathon

salted caramel GU are my favourite too!!! :drinker:

(Sorry to go off topic op) they are the absolute bestest. I realised straight away I preferred the taste as the salt somewhat offsets the oversweetness of all gels, but it occurred to me recently I actually feel better using them than other gels and I know why: I'm a salty sweater (I often end up with a crust of dried salt all over after a long run) and the salted caramel gels have about double the sodium of other flavours. Sodium replenishment and not totally gagging on the flavour ftw!

Off topic I realise but that is awesome, good luck with race!

Thank you! I'm at that giddy stage of training when I'm looking forward to the race. The dread and fear are sure to set in somewhere midway through the existential misery that is tapering.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,691 Member
    Options
    Espresso Love gels are also really good if you can tolerate the caffeine.