Is it wrong to think...

Options

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I think you need to lose your friends, at least for six months or so to get used to your new lifestyle. You'll never do it sitting there watching them. Its like an alcoholic hanging out in a pub every night trying to give up drink. You'll crack. Then you'll be down on yourself. You'll get into a really unhealthy mental cycle.
    Choose.
    Do you want to change your life or not?
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    And, the funny aside...

I quit smoking over five years ago while living with a smoker. He had to smoke outside anyway, but sometimes I would go out with him. I presented it to myself as a test of will, kept saying over and over that it was a test. It helped me believe that I was strong enough to resist, even when it was right in front of me. Now I can hang around anyone while they smoke and enjoy the smell but not be tempted. Or if I am tempted, just say "yeah, I'd like one" but still not smoke.

I quit drinking three weeks ago. My fiancé is a home brewer, plus likes a little scotch before bed. We enjoyed drinking together, and every time he has a drink I get a twinge of jealousy and the desire to drink. Every time, I say to myself "thank you god for giving me the strength to say no". The urge passes.

My fiancé is a skinny guy. I'll make something carb- and fat- tastic for him, have a bite of it, but fill up my plate with good stuff.

What's the point? I take each moment as a test, say "thanks god for giving me the opportunity to prove my strength again". When he drinks, I have some home brewed ice tea. When someone smokes, I enjoy the smell and sigh. When he has a double bacon cheeseburger, I'll have a bite and eat healthy. But my competitive nature relishes challenging myself, as long as I think of it as a momentary challenge, and not a restriction. I'm the one with the addiction to cigarettes, alcohol, and need to lose weight. I can't ban these things from being around me, because it's not fair. It's my problem. So I've learned to keep it my problem and found a way to be around it without giving in to it. But every one is different. This is just one way to roll.
  • Releven
    Releven Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    And if you do slip and make love to the pizza, make sure it's cooled off first. Weenie burns are the worst.

Should have told me that BEFORE I just went home for lunch :sad:
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First, don't cut your friends out of your life or family. Worst advice ever! If that was the case, I should kick my soon to be husband to the curb for being a picky eater, and a lover of junk food.

It's up to you to turn away from temptation. It's a learning game, and takes practice. You may slip up and fall, but that's life. I think that you should definitely have a talk with your friends though and express to them the challenges they present with their food choices.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's not bad to think it's not entirely your fault. It's a personal problem, but even more so, it's a societal problem. Just look at the advertisements you see or hear every day. Look at the propaganda distributed by food companies.

What is food supposed to be? Nourishment to fuel our bodies, right?

Instead, most food companies take a food product and make it the most marketable product. Look at all the breads/pastries/sugary cereals/sports drinks/soda, etc. It's probably 75% of the grocery store. It's not marketed at its nutritional value. It's how good it tastes or whatever other marketing scheme each company uses.

Which do you think is more marketable: Foxy romaine lettuce or Pepsi? Which company has more money? Which company plays on the underlying human condition to eat something which will in turn store fat for later?

Our bodies are programmed to store fat, since before grocery stores, meals were unreliable. Cavemen never knew where the next meal came from. When you eat sugary junk with little nutrients other than sugar and starch, your body stores that and gets deprived of real nutrients. You then eat more and the cycle begins anew because each time, you received little to no nutrients. Companies know this and play on it over and over and over.

What's worse is that this marketing ploy is perpetrated on our children more and more. When they watch tv, they're bombarded with Gatorade, cereal and other ads. The marketing companies now say "whole wheat" on so many products. This makes it no better. Ever hear a kid bug their parents for an apple? Nope. It's always the sugary cereal with the toy in it.

Quick story: My mom was telling me of pasta which was said to be made with vegetables. I thought "Maybe I'll give that a chance". I compared it nutritionally to the standard white pasta and there was NO difference in nutritional value. People are getting scammed into thinking this stuff is good for you. It's no better than the "old" item, deemed bad for you.

In general: eat whole foods. If you can't identify it, don't eat it. If you eat better foods, you can eat more than the junk you're craving. Drink water. Lots of water, not sports drinks or diet sodas. Be active. Log your calories. Set reasonable goals.

I'm not a doctor, but this worked for me. I'll let me progress speak for itself even though I'm nowhere close to being done.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    might need to switch up lifestyles with the weight loss. Not saying you can't enjoy video games- but being ultra fit or healthy often doesn't go hand in hand with the "sits and plays video games for hours on end crowd"

just a thought. maybe it's time to make new friends who actually give a *kitten* about their lives outside the gaming room. Just saying. I couldn't be friends with people like that for long. Seriously... just couldn't- it would get in my way.
  • Releven
    Options
    It's not bad to think it's not entirely your fault. It's a personal problem, but even more so, it's a societal problem. Just look at the advertisements you see or hear every day. Look at the propaganda distributed by food companies.

What is food supposed to be? Nourishment to fuel our bodies, right?

Instead, most food companies take a food product and make it the most marketable product. Look at all the breads/pastries/sugary cereals/sports drinks/soda, etc. It's probably 75% of the grocery store. It's not marketed at its nutritional value. It's how good it tastes or whatever other marketing scheme each company uses.

Which do you think is more marketable: Foxy romaine lettuce or Pepsi? Which company has more money? Which company plays on the underlying human condition to eat something which will in turn store fat for later?

Our bodies are programmed to store fat, since before grocery stores, meals were unreliable. Cavemen never knew where the next meal came from. When you eat sugary junk with little nutrients other than sugar and starch, your body stores that and gets deprived of real nutrients. You then eat more and the cycle begins anew because each time, you received little to no nutrients. Companies know this and play on it over and over and over.

What's worse is that this marketing ploy is perpetrated on our children more and more. When they watch tv, they're bombarded with Gatorade, cereal and other ads. The marketing companies now say "whole wheat" on so many products. This makes it no better. Ever hear a kid bug their parents for an apple? Nope. It's always the sugary cereal with the toy in it.

Quick story: My mom was telling me of pasta which was said to be made with vegetables. I thought "Maybe I'll give that a chance". I compared it nutritionally to the standard white pasta and there was NO difference in nutritional value. People are getting scammed into thinking this stuff is good for you. It's no better than the "old" item, deemed bad for you.

In general: eat whole foods. If you can't identify it, don't eat it. If you eat better foods, you can eat more than the junk you're craving. Drink water. Lots of water, not sports drinks or diet sodas. Be active. Log your calories. Set reasonable goals.

I'm not a doctor, but this worked for me. I'll let me progress speak for itself even though I'm nowhere close to being done.

Can't argue that a bit, your progress looks amazing, keep up the good work and thanks for the advice. I'm 1 down and some more to go!
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I say yes. It is your fault because only you control you. You can make the changes you want/need to make, you're just making excuses not to. Of course, this is just my opinion.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think you need new friends, because they don't deserve to have fake friends who are sitting around secretly hating on them like you are.
  • witmer1
    witmer1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good luck. You can do this. The first few weeks/months are the hardest. Once it's a habit, it comes naturally. Stick with it.
  • Releven
    Options
    I think you need new friends, because they don't deserve to have fake friends who are sitting around secretly hating on them like you are.

Damn...someone needs a nap lol
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options

No. I'm fine. Are your "closest friends" aware you are talking trash about them behind their backs like this? There's more important things about a person than whether or not they work out.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    If the food is not put away properly, then throw it away...
  • Releven
    Options

No. I'm fine. Are your "closest friends" aware you are talking trash about them behind their backs like this? There's more important things about a person than whether or not they work out.

You should see our facebook posts to each other, I can assure it's not in secret. I can add you to show you if you would like, you know, so you can actually get to know my friends and myself before judging us :)
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Don't have the articles on hand (and should be working so can't look it up right now), but there have been studies which have specifically found the company you keep affects your eating patterns. So yes, being consistently around people who make bad food choices affects your ability to make good ones.

So in essence, it's is not the wrong thing to think that....

If you're asking about morals.... that's your choice to make...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

maybe to you- but to me... meh.

While I won't consider myself a fat hater/shamer- I really dislike hanging out with people who are extremely over weight and it's the kind of extremely over weight THEY FACILITATE. I realize not all over weight people are alive- not everyone just over eats and doesn't care. I get that- I'm not putting everyone in the same box. But I am busy- I'm always on the go. even at the amusement partk I'm high energy... go go go 90 mph.

I think people who are extremely overweight who live highly sedentary life styles full of over eating and fast food- they have problems. and they don't get any/much respect from me- and I don't hang out with them. They wouldn't do what I do- they wouldn't go where I go. Our pathes don't cross.

I lead a very busy life- so having friends who do a whole lot of nothing- doesn't work well with my life. I'm not saying I'm surrounded by atheltic models- but I can't think of a single person in my life who doesn't have SOME sort of active life style and doesn't at least attempt to address their food issues. Not a single one. I have several friends who could stand to lose some weight- but I can't think of a single truly obese person in my life that I"m friends with- our paths just don't cross.

It's important to me. It says a lot about your character if you don't give a crap about your body. I think the same thing about people who roll out of bed and look like they haven't washed their clothes or their bodies in months. It's not flattering and it's icky. I'm not going to NOT friend someone who is highly over weight- but I can sure as **** tell you we won't be hanging out much. not because they aren't nice or funny- but they just aren't going to be doing what I"m doing. So to me- nope- working out and being fit- it's kind of important.

<flame suit fully zipped>
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    No, I agree. If you don't have a good support system behind you, it can make it difficult to do all on your own. And if your friends are eating foods in front of you that you're doing your best to avoid but really do like, it makes it all the more difficult. When a certain friend of mine was living close by, I found it rather difficult to stay on track. I was trying to make better choices, but she wanted to eat out all the time. And I wanted to spend time with my friend, so I had a hard time saying "no." Also, when you're getting comments from people who aren't dieting/exercising/changing their lifestyles, things like "Oh, you can worry about your diet tomorrow," or "one [insert desired food here] isn't gonna kill you," it makes it very difficult to resist. At that point, they're dangling the carrot right in front of your nose. I don't think that people realize that they're making it difficult when they say/do things like that, but it does tend to make it difficult.

I dunno if there's anything to do about it, but if I'd suggest anything, it'd be making some new friends with similar goals to you. Not that you have to ditch your current friends, but if you're part of a group all working toward the same goal, I think it'll be easier to stay on track and to support one another. Even just posting here might be a good source of support for you.
  • jennrox78
    jennrox78 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends are lazy and bad eaters.

I am not.

It works ok though, because I am not them, I am in fact me, a whole different person, with a different mouth and different legs.
  • Releven
    Options

maybe to you- but to me... meh.

While I won't consider myself a fat hater/shamer- I really dislike hanging out with people who are extremely over weight and it's the kind of extremely over weight THEY FACILITATE. I realize not all over weight people are alive- not everyone just over eats and doesn't care. I get that- I'm not putting everyone in the same box. But I am busy- I'm always on the go. even at the amusement partk I'm high energy... go go go 90 mph.

I think people who are extremely overweight who live highly sedentary life styles full of over eating and fast food- they have problems. and they don't get any/much respect from me- and I don't hang out with them. They wouldn't do what I do- they wouldn't go where I go. Our pathes don't cross.

I lead a very busy life- so having friends who do a whole lot of nothing- doesn't work well with my life. I'm not saying I'm surrounded by atheltic models- but I can't think of a single person in my life who doesn't have SOME sort of active life style and doesn't at least attempt to address their food issues. Not a single one. I have several friends who could stand to lose some weight- but I can't think of a single truly obese person in my life that I"m friends with- our paths just don't cross.

It's important to me. It says a lot about your character if you don't give a crap about your body. I think the same thing about people who roll out of bed and look like they haven't washed their clothes or their bodies in months. It's not flattering and it's icky. I'm not going to NOT friend someone who is highly over weight- but I can sure as **** tell you we won't be hanging out much. not because they aren't nice or funny- but they just aren't going to be doing what I"m doing. So to me- nope- working out and being fit- it's kind of important.

<flame suit fully zipped>

Shouldn't have to feel like you'd get flamed on because of a life choice, it's no different than vegan's only wanting to hang around other vegan's due to lifestyle choices. Kudos for the ability to even be this way, I'm no where near that way yet.