Keto diet??

Options
Hi all,just wondering if anyone on here does/done the keto diet. Pros and cons. Just wanting to try something new.

Replies

• gabbilamonato
    gabbilamonato Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi shamaimorris88,

I've been doing the keto diet since about may (at this point I was on and off it until I started it properly in mid June) and also in June I started pairing it with fat fasting in the morning everyday.
    I think one of the best things in this diet is that you feel satisfied after a meal and you don't have to restrict yourself to not eating more if you're still hungry. If you're hungry, eat. Also, it definitely improved my energy levels throughout the day and I don't feel as hungry every 3 hours after a meal as I did before. If I get peckish I mainly eat something that will be high in good fats and/or protein, but I have to say that the snacks and also eating out are the biggest challenges for me. Another good thing I noticed is that I feel less bloated during the day, and because I'm fasting in the morning I increased the amount of water I drink everyday. For who eats meat I guess this diet must be heaven, I'm vegetarian and I am very well adapted and love it. In about one and a half months I lost 4 kgs, and now I make food choices based on my health, as I also noticed that it also improved my immune system. Don't get me wrong, if I go out I enjoy the occasional non-keto stuff, but without worrying and just getting back to it at the next meal. The first week or two there might be headaches, feeling light headed, a loss of motivation/energy but that's normal. Sorry for the huge text! Just thought I'd give you the most detailed experience I've had so far!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I know an morbidly obese person that lost weight doing Keto.
  • kaycuciurean
    kaycuciurean Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is there a certain site that you'd recommend with easy enough keto recopies? I've been trying to make alternatives.
  • JessIsOK
    JessIsOK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @kaycuciurean, I started my keto journey using the free food plans from I Breathe, I'm Hungry (www.ibreatheimhungry.com). Since I was cooking only for myself, I scaled some of the recipes back or made one week of meals go for two weeks, etc., but I found it to be a really good guide to help me get started because it all seemed so overwhelming. Hope this helps!
  • gabbilamonato
    gabbilamonato Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is there a certain site that you'd recommend with easy enough keto recopies? I've been trying to make alternatives.

I use ketodietapp.com/Blog , as I'm vegetarian I started the diet with their 14 day vegetarian diet plan ebook, but on their blog there are loads of recipes that aren't only vegetarian
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I did keto I didn't do special recipes. I just eliminated my usual starchy side and ate mostly a source of protein and vegetables and felt free to include more fat in preparation or on the side or in a sauce.

I suspect it works better if you focus on the foods you can eat rather than trying to make keto versions of the foods off limits (like bread or whatever). If you will really miss those things, it might not be the way to eat for you.

There are interesting dessert recipes, of course, but I'm talking daily, main meals.

I suppose if one is really attached to rice or pasta trying out alternative things like cauliflower rice and spaghetti squash might be helpful (I love cauliflower, not cut as rice especially, and spaghetti squash whether I am eating very low carb or not, and they are also pretty low cal).
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    try this group on MFP, where most ketophiles hang around. nice support and loaded with knowledge!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • ketofire51
    ketofire51 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree with Catawampous! It's all about simplicity for me. I've been on keto for 3 weeks and have lost 10 lbs. I have never felt hungry and I enjoy the foods allowed a LOT MORE than any sweets I have had in the past.
  • b3ar17
    b3ar17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try the subreddit https://reddit.com/r/keto/.

I've been doing Keto for the last eight months and lost over 80 lbs so far. I feel that it's not just an easy way to lose weight, but could be actually sustainable over the long term. We'll see what I'm like five years from now.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    As someone who suffers with reactive hypoglyceamia, I cannot understand why anyone would voluntarily give themselves low blood sugar. It is very bad for you long term to disrupt the bodies blood glucose levels and ketoacidosis is considered a medical emergency. Do yourself a favour and just eat a healthy diet with more excersize, that way your weight loss will be more sustainable and you wont damage your endocrine system.

I'm afraid you have a few things wrong in there:

Ketoacidosis only occurs to those without insulin (T1D) or in extreme cases of serious alcoholism. Nutritional ketosis is safe.

A ketogenic diet does not cause low blood glucose but it can lower it from high levels and create fewer BG fluctuations. I also have had reactive hypoglycemia. I got rid of it by using a ketogenic diet. When you don't get large BG swings, and don't rely on glucose as your primary fuel, hypoglycemia can be fixed. :) No more shaking, tunnle vision, fainting or needing to eat every 2 hours - awesome. :)

And eating fewer carbs does not harm the endocrine system. It can help reverse insulin resistance but that is just helpful.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »
    I'm coaching/cooking for my wife on keto plan, and I'm on it myself. It's totally sustainable.

Whether it's sustainable or not depends on the person.

I agree it is for some people.

Agree it takes no longer and is no more complicated than any other way to eat.

You and I have a different idea of what a good menu would be (I like to plan meals around vegetables and protein), but that's cool, people have different ideas of what works for them, which is why you cannot say that keto works (as in is sustainable and satisfying and satiating) for everyone.
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm coaching/cooking for my wife on keto plan, and I'm on it myself. It's totally sustainable.

You and I have a different idea of what a good menu would be (I like to plan meals around vegetables and protein), but that's cool, people have different ideas of what works for them, which is why you cannot say that keto works (as in is sustainable and satisfying and satiating) for everyone.

I actually got to my ideal body weight with portion control and will power. With classic carbs and low fat. I have not heard of keto until 3.5 months ago. My wife has no will power to tolerate hunger, so when keto suppressed her hunger and cravings it was a miracle. It works for her, that all that matters. Oh yeah her mom a type2 who I got try low carb, is loosing weight and halving her meds. So that's 2 people benefiting
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I actually got to my ideal body weight with portion control and will power. With classic carbs and low fat. I have not heard of keto until 3.5 months ago. My wife has no will power to tolerate hunger, so when keto suppressed her hunger and cravings it was a miracle. It works for her, that all that matters. Oh yeah her mom a type2 who I got try low carb, is loosing weight and halving her meds. So that's 2 people benefiting

What does that have to do with what I said?