Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    quebot wrote: »
    It’s a huge problem. We deliver “snack packs” to families with kids that have asked for help.
    Not one of these families has ever said “thanks” but instead has requested specific free foods.
    Soda and other snack food on EBT...no.
    When all else fails one could actually join the workforce.

Every person I know personally who receives food stamps, does so gratefully, and also works 50 or more hours a week. What about demanding a livable wage instead of assuming every poor person is lazy?

Livable wages, while a very prominent and powerful political rallying cry, are a self-defeating proposal - ask any of the small business owners who used to have businesses in downtown Seattle or San Fran.

I don't really agree with this either...I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to. we all prospered. I did not go out of business bc of paying people fair wages I went out of business WHEN GREEDY CORPORATE PEOPLE AND POLICTICIANS DESTROYED OUR ECONOMY IN 2008-9-10 bush era destroyed our business landscape and real estate industry.

So they were adding a hypothetical $10 an hour to your business and you paid them $50.

You went out of business because you were bad at business.

I was in business 30 years. and you cant add..omg. are you a bush fan?

50 is 5 times 10.

You said you paid 5 times what you had to. That means you paid 5 times what they were worth.

"years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what" cant read or add huh.
    I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to

IF you want quality people what you "have to pay them" is at or above market value. My market value is $45-65 an hour, and I add 75-200 an hour of value.

If you want someone with my skills, you "have to pay" ~50 an hour. 4-5 times that is 200-250 an hour.

The same principle applies if the market value of a person is $8 or $10 or $3.

You seem confused by basic principles of hiring and personnel management.

if the wage I had to pay was 10 bucks an hour...and I paid 14 - 15 an hour..would be $4- 5 more and hour than i had to" that would be a living wage.

$14 or $15 an hour might be a living wage for a single person, it is not a living wage for a family of 4 (w/o some outside assistance).

Then one shouldn't make themselves into a family of four until they can afford it.

Which was my point - thanks for putting it so succinctly. :smiley:

And now we want to limit how many children people has? Welcome to Republic of China!!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    They should not allow food stamps to be used to purchase soda.

The whole reason food stamps exist is because we don't want people who are struggling financially to starve or suffer malnutrition. Soda is just calories with no other nutritional value. Foods stamps should be used for more nutritious food choices.

I would go further and ban additional items, but soda is an excellent start.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've stayed out of this "discussion" for a long time. So, if I've paid in to the "system" and need to use it, I'm supposed to let someone else tell me what I can buy with my SNAP funds? Did I get that right?

SNAP has nothing to do with paying into the system, and we ALREADY tell people what they can buy with their SNAP funds.

What I meant was that I work and pay taxes and at one time, I needed to use Food Stamps. You can buy pretty much anything with those funds (I didn't have cash benefits) except for household items and alcohol. No, I wasn't told what I could and could not buy (referring to soda and "junk" food).

You can't buy non food items.

You can't buy prepared food items (even including healthy things like a rotisserie chicken).

You can't buy from non approved vendors.

I don't see why limiting the rules to prohibit soda would be different from saying you can't use it on prepared foods. It actually makes more sense, IMO. I'm not in favor of doing it (again, my view on this is "who cares, not a big deal either way") but it's obviously true such rules could be added.

The gov't could also easily decide to be more limiting beyond that, nothing about the program prevents that. I don't think they should, but that's a different issue.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    It’s a huge problem. We deliver “snack packs” to families with kids that have asked for help.
    Not one of these families has ever said “thanks” but instead has requested specific free foods.

Every person I know personally who receives food stamps, does so gratefully, and also works 50 or more hours a week. What about demanding a livable wage instead of assuming every poor person is lazy?

Livable wages, while a very prominent and powerful political rallying cry, are a self-defeating proposal - ask any of the small business owners who used to have businesses in downtown Seattle or San Fran.

I don't really agree with this either...I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to. we all prospered. I did not go out of business bc of paying people fair wages I went out of business WHEN GREEDY CORPORATE PEOPLE AND POLICTICIANS DESTROYED OUR ECONOMY IN 2008-9-10 bush era destroyed our business landscape and real estate industry.

So they were adding a hypothetical $10 an hour to your business and you paid them $50.

50 is 5 times 10.

You said you paid 5 times what you had to. That means you paid 5 times what they were worth.

I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to

IF you want quality people what you "have to pay them" is at or above market value. My market value is $45-65 an hour, and I add 75-200 an hour of value.

If you want someone with my skills, you "have to pay" ~50 an hour. 4-5 times that is 200-250 an hour.

if the wage I had to pay was 10 bucks an hour...and I paid 14 - 15 an hour..would be $4- 5 more and hour than i had to" that would be a living wage.

$14 or $15 an hour might be a living wage for a single person, it is not a living wage for a family of 4 (w/o some outside assistance).

Then one shouldn't make themselves into a family of four until they can afford it.

And now we want to limit how many children people has? Welcome to Republic of China!!

Responsible people tend not to have more dependents than they can afford.

Because nobody had ever ended up jobless or single after the fact...

That's what food stamps should be for IMO. Temporary situations where one is having financial difficulties. Not a lifestyle.

So how many people do you personally know who have a ‘food stamps lifestyle?’ Just curious.

My wife's cousin has 4 daughters by 3 different guys (there was a set of twins in there). None of the guys stayed around. Her daughters have gone down the same path with 2-4 kids each. They are all collecting benefits, even though my wife's uncle who is 80 and questionable health has spent his life savings and is still working to support them since he doesn't want his family on welfare.

My wife works in education so has a number of stories as well as a friend who works for Children and Family Services.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    @stanmann571

And how do you propose that the government or the citizens do that? How are "you" going to have a say in the matter? Isn't that a violation of individual rights and liberties?

Are you or the government going to impose birth control when so many insurance companies are refusing to happy for it, and when the government is threatening to close Planned Parenthood.

Be careful what you wish for...

Get government out of the assistance business. The only money they have is money taken from others.

So just to clarify, you don't see a need for state funded school systems or penal systems?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

50 is 5 times 10.

Responsible people tend not to have more dependents than they can afford.

Because nobody had ever ended up jobless or single after the fact...

That's what food stamps should be for IMO. Temporary situations where one is having financial difficulties. Not a lifestyle.

So how many people do you personally know who have a ‘food stamps lifestyle?’ Just curious.

Growing up... several hundreds...