Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    quebot wrote: »
    I feel like so many people are taking the humanity/ culture out of eating.

Aside from that, don't forget the people who only have a microwave for cooking, limited to no refrigeration, and might not have the kitchen options you propose. There was a time my business plummeted, I struggled to get more clients to stay on my feet, I was homeless and had 4 kids to feed without a kitchen, I got divorced, I had been a work at home/self employed mom for 11 years and no one would hire me. We had to make a lot of choices that weren't good for us. We ate anything that didn't need cooking. We drank our calories on really bad days. I picked up two more jobs, but still wasn't back on my feet for another year. I was awake and working 18 to 20 hours a day. I ate more and drank things to keep me awake so that I could keep going. And it took even one more year to start REALLY feeling like I was getting somewhere. I still have food stamps, but I'm relying on them less and less. My food choices have always been the best choices I could think to make given my circumstances. I didn't have the time to sit in government classes to learn how to eat better. I couldn't have time to Google meal ideas. I was too busy working my a$& off to better myself and my situation. Not to mention, I have 4 kids to raise.

So next time you judge someone for buying a can of soda or bag of chips, just remember that you don't know their struggle or where their mind is. Lots of soda helped me drive uber and lyft all night while my kids slept and stay awake long enough to take them to school the next day. That soda was my future meal ticket.

while I understand - self employed for 30 years and raised two girls alone and made some of the same lousy food choices...looking back it was not needed and I could have taken better care of myself along the way. sorry that I started so late in life taking care of myself.f

• quebot
    quebot Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

Aside from that, don't forget the people who only have a microwave for cooking, limited to no refrigeration, and might not have the kitchen options you propose. There was a time my business plummeted, I struggled to get more clients to stay on my feet, I was homeless and had 4 kids to feed without a kitchen, I got divorced, I had been a work at home/self employed mom for 11 years and no one would hire me. We had to make a lot of choices that weren't good for us. We ate anything that didn't need cooking. We drank our calories on really bad days. I picked up two more jobs, but still wasn't back on my feet for another year. I was awake and working 18 to 20 hours a day. I ate more and drank things to keep me awake so that I could keep going. And it took even one more year to start REALLY feeling like I was getting somewhere. I still have food stamps, but I'm relying on them less and less. My food choices have always been the best choices I could think to make given my circumstances. I didn't have the time to sit in government classes to learn how to eat better. I couldn't have time to Google meal ideas. I was too busy working my a$& off to better myself and my situation. Not to mention, I have 4 kids to raise.

So next time you judge someone for buying a can of soda or bag of chips, just remember that you don't know their struggle or where their mind is. Lots of soda helped me drive uber and lyft all night while my kids slept and stay awake long enough to take them to school the next day. That soda was my future meal ticket.

while I understand - self employed for 30 years and raised two girls alone and made some of the same lousy food choices...looking back it was not needed and I could have taken better care of myself along the way. sorry that I started so late in life taking care of myself.f

Being self employed isn't quite the point, it's the food preparation options homeless/ poor folks have access to. I feel confident that I made the best choices I could make given my options. I don't think I could have changed much during that time. The lack of having a fridge or a stove puts a huge dent in the food I had access to. Also thank goodness for 24 hour grocery stores with free coffee. I absolutely hate coffee, but that saved me on days when I was running on 2 to 3 hours of sleep and continued to push forward.
  • urloved33
    edited April 2018
    Options

Being self employed isn't quite the point, it's the food preparation options homeless/ poor folks have access to. I feel confident that I made the best choices I could make given my options. I don't think I could have changed much during that time. The lack of having a fridge or a stove puts a huge dent in the food I had access to. Also thank goodness for 24 hour grocery stores with free coffee. I absolutely hate coffee, but that saved me on days when I was running on 2 to 3 hours of sleep and continued to push forward.

im many many years out of that time of my life now...my children are grown and highly educated and successful and I have had years to rest. in that hind sight I can say that the entire situation would have been better if MY HEALTH WERE BETTER and sustained in a more healthier way at that time. bc everything wAs dependent on me...it holds true that the healthier I was the healthier everyone was - coffee is not "unhealthy" and im sorry I really disagree with you. no cook options for healthy food are available.

• Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It’s a huge problem. We deliver “snack packs” to families with kids that have asked for help.
    Not one of these families has ever said “thanks” but instead has requested specific free foods.
    Soda and other snack food on EBT...no.
    When all else fails one could actually join the workforce.

What makes you think every person on stamps isn't working?
  • urloved33
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Mikkimeow wrote: »
    It’s a huge problem. We deliver “snack packs” to families with kids that have asked for help.
    Not one of these families has ever said “thanks” but instead has requested specific free foods.

national statistics. its not EVERY person but statistics will tell you what you are looking for.

• urloved33
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Every person I know personally who receives food stamps, does so gratefully, and also works 50 or more hours a week. What about demanding a livable wage instead of assuming every poor person is lazy?

Livable wages, while a very prominent and powerful political rallying cry, are a self-defeating proposal - ask any of the small business owners who used to have businesses in downtown Seattle or San Fran.

I don't really agree with this either...I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to. we all prospered. I did not go out of business bc of paying people fair wages I went out of business WHEN GREEDY CORPORATE PEOPLE AND POLICTICIANS DESTROYED OUR ECONOMY IN 2008-9-10 bush era destroyed our business landscape and real estate industry.

So they were adding a hypothetical $10 an hour to your business and you paid them $50.

You went out of business because you were bad at business.

I was in business 30 years. "years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what"

• Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Mikkimeow wrote: »

national statistics. its not EVERY person but statistics will tell you what you are looking for.

The statistics do not state if the individual is: self employed, laid off, on disability, negotiating disability and unable to work, partial disability, elderly, receiving long term care, looking for a job, pursuing education. Statistics are just a number and not a viable look at the model as a whole.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Every person I know personally who receives food stamps, does so gratefully, and also works 50 or more hours a week. What about demanding a livable wage instead of assuming every poor person is lazy?

Livable wages, while a very prominent and powerful political rallying cry, are a self-defeating proposal - ask any of the small business owners who used to have businesses in downtown Seattle or San Fran.

I don't really agree with this either...I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to. we all prospered. I did not go out of business bc of paying people fair wages I went out of business WHEN GREEDY CORPORATE PEOPLE AND POLICTICIANS DESTROYED OUR ECONOMY IN 2008-9-10 bush era destroyed our business landscape and real estate industry.

So they were adding a hypothetical $10 an hour to your business and you paid them $50.

I was in business 30 years. and you cant add..omg. are you a bush fan?

50 is 5 times 10.

You said you paid 5 times what you had to. That means you paid 5 times what they were worth.

"years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what" cant read or add huh.
    I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to

IF you want quality people what you "have to pay them" is at or above market value. My market value is $45-65 an hour, and I add 75-200 an hour of value.

If you want someone with my skills, you "have to pay" ~50 an hour. 4-5 times that is 200-250 an hour.

The same principle applies if the market value of a person is $8 or $10 or $3.

You seem confused by basic principles of hiring and personnel management.
  • urloved33
    edited April 2018
    Options

50 is 5 times 10.

You said you paid 5 times what you had to. That means you paid 5 times what they were worth.

I ran a small business for many years and paid people 4-5 more an hour than what I had to

IF you want quality people what you "have to pay them" is at or above market value. My market value is $45-65 an hour, and I add 75-200 an hour of value.

If you want someone with my skills, you "have to pay" ~50 an hour. 4-5 times that is 200-250 an hour.

if the wage I had to pay was 10 bucks an hour...and I paid 14 - 15 an hour..would be $4- 5 more and hour than i had to" that would be a living wage.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

How do you define a "livable wage"? Who defines this wage? A wage that is going to be adequate for a young single person with few responsibilities is certainly not going to be "livable" for a single mother with four kids to feed. If we base that wage on that single mother then the pay would certainly be a bit excessive for someone on the other end of that spectrum. Where is the cutoff? One kid? Two kids? Two kids a dog and a cat? ... or do we simply adjust pay based on economic need?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    REMINDER:

Attacking other posters is against the forum guidelines. If you need to review the guidelines they can be found here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

To avoid attacking other members please keep your debate responses focused on the content of the post, not the poster.

Thanks for your cooperation,
    4legs
    MFP moderator
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

50 is 5 times 10.

if the wage I had to pay was 10 bucks an hour...and I paid 14 - 15 an hour..would be $4- 5 more and hour than i had to" that would be a living wage.

This whole tangent could have been avoided if you'd said $4-5 more vs 4-5 more.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

50 is 5 times 10.

$14 or $15 an hour might be a living wage for a single person, it is not a living wage for a family of 4 (w/o some outside assistance).
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the government putting restrictions on how people spend their assistance money. When u donate to food banks do you not get to choose what you donate?

Most food banks publish lists of ‘most needed items’ that they would prefer you donate. Most of the food they distribute isn’t from individual donations, it’s stuff they buy in bulk with cash donations based on what their clients need. All the stuff you clean out of your pantry and drop off twice a year is a supplement.

Plus, many food banks get food from tax-funded USDA programs. So no, you don’t get to choose what other people eat no matter how they are receiving food.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with the government putting restrictions on how people spend their assistance money. When u donate to food banks do you not get to choose what you donate?

Most food banks publish lists of ‘most needed items’ that they would prefer you donate. Most of the food they distribute isn’t from individual donations, it’s stuff they buy in bulk with cash donations based on what their clients need. All the stuff you clean out of your pantry and drop off twice a year is a supplement.

Plus, many food banks get food from tax-funded USDA programs. So no, you don’t get to choose what other people eat no matter how they are receiving food.

I never said "I" was or even have any desire to choose what other people eat. Just saying that government funds come with government rules and comparing that to my donations = what I decide to donate. This government funds comes with government rules concept is not limited to food stamps.
    You are right in that I was thinking more along the lines of what a lot of churches call a "food pantry" that is maintained by the church's budget for that in addition to members donating food based on a listed of needed items (I've never seen soda on this list).
    However, since you mentioned Food Banks and that tax dollars (government) help fund these as well, soda is also not on the list of items for that.

• happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

I never said "I" was or even have any desire to choose what other people eat. Just saying that government funds come with government rules and comparing that to my donations = what I decide to donate. This government funds comes with government rules concept is not limited to food stamps.
    You are right in that I was thinking more along the lines of what a lot of churches call a "food pantry" that is maintained by the church's budget for that in addition to members donating food based on a listed of needed items (I've never seen soda on this list).
    However, since you mentioned Food Banks and that tax dollars (government) help fund these as well, soda is also not on the list of items for that.

But SNAP isn’t a donation/charity from the government, it’s an entitlement program. Meaning anyone who meets the eligibility criteria for the program is entitled to receive it.

The government has to ensure that everyone eligible has equal opportunity to apply for and benefit from the program. Many people in this thread have discussed situations where doctors have told them to eat the kinds of foods people are talking about forbidding. Rare or not, entitlement programs need to accommodate people in these situations.

P.S. most church food pantries get their food from food banks. Unless you know your local food pantry is independent from any regional food bank they are also distributing bulk purchase/USDA food with supplemental donations.