Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »

I never said "I" was or even have any desire to choose what other people eat. Just saying that government funds come with government rules and comparing that to my donations = what I decide to donate. This government funds comes with government rules concept is not limited to food stamps.
    You are right in that I was thinking more along the lines of what a lot of churches call a "food pantry" that is maintained by the church's budget for that in addition to members donating food based on a listed of needed items (I've never seen soda on this list).
    However, since you mentioned Food Banks and that tax dollars (government) help fund these as well, soda is also not on the list of items for that.

But SNAP isn’t a donation/charity from the government, it’s an entitlement program. Meaning anyone who meets the eligibility criteria for the program is entitled to receive it.

The government has to ensure that everyone eligible has equal opportunity to apply for and benefit from the program. Many people in this thread have discussed situations where doctors have told them to eat the kinds of foods people are talking about forbidding. Rare or not, entitlement programs need to accommodate people in these situations.

Calling something an entitlement doesn't make it so.

It's charity.

Entitlement is something that has been earned by the recipient or someone associated to them.

This is my number one pet peeve on the subject. SS, Medicare, are entitlements. SNAP, WIC, Medicaid are charity. They may well be the right thing to do, but they aren't entitlements.

I definitely agree with you about entitlements and even though it's the right thing to do it's not an entitlement.
    I don't necessarily agree with calling it "charity", and this is definitely splitting hairs because we seem to be on the same side here, but "charity" implies that the funders (taxpayers) did so willingly and taxes aren't a choice.
    Maybe "government mandated charity" would be a better term.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

I never said "I" was or even have any desire to choose what other people eat. Just saying that government funds come with government rules and comparing that to my donations = what I decide to donate. This government funds comes with government rules concept is not limited to food stamps.
    You are right in that I was thinking more along the lines of what a lot of churches call a "food pantry" that is maintained by the church's budget for that in addition to members donating food based on a listed of needed items (I've never seen soda on this list).
    However, since you mentioned Food Banks and that tax dollars (government) help fund these as well, soda is also not on the list of items for that.

But SNAP isn’t a donation/charity from the government, it’s an entitlement program. Meaning anyone who meets the eligibility criteria for the program is entitled to receive it.

The government has to ensure that everyone eligible has equal opportunity to apply for and benefit from the program. Many people in this thread have discussed situations where doctors have told them to eat the kinds of foods people are talking about forbidding. Rare or not, entitlement programs need to accommodate people in these situations.

P.S. most church food pantries get their food from food banks. Unless you know your local food pantry is independent from any regional food bank they are also distributing bulk purchase/USDA food with supplemental donations.

Yes. The church food panties I am thinking of are independent of the regional food banks and like I said come from the church's budget for benevolence (which comes from memeber's contributions) and member's donations of food items.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

It's charity.

Entitlement is something that has been earned by the recipient or someone associated to them.

This is my number one pet peeve on the subject. SS, Medicare, are entitlements. SNAP, WIC, Medicaid are charity. They may well be the right thing to do, but they aren't entitlements.

I definitely agree with you about entitlements and even though it's the right thing to do it's not an entitlement.
    I don't necessarily agree with calling it "charity", and this is definitely splitting hairs because we seem to be on the same side here, but "charity" implies that the funders (taxpayers) did so willingly and taxes aren't a choice.
    Maybe "government mandated charity" would be a better term.

We need a new term. I'm good with "government assistance" I think "being on the dole" is unnecessarily pejorative if the program is in fact temporary. OTOH, if multiple generations are continuously receiving "temporary" "government assistance" There's a very real problem, and "what about the children" isn't the correct response.

Forced sterilization isn't the right solution, but at some point, we have to have a solution that resolves the conflict between serial bastardy and "temporary" programs.

I'm ok with extending the duration of "temporary assistance" being contingent on accepting voluntary surgical NON-RADICAL/theoretically reversible sterilization.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    quebot wrote: »
    It’s a huge problem. We deliver “snack packs” to families with kids that have asked for help.
    Not one of these families has ever said “thanks” but instead has requested specific free foods.
    Soda and other snack food on EBT...no.
    When all else fails one could actually join the workforce.

Every person I know personally who receives food stamps, does so gratefully, and also works 50 or more hours a week. What about demanding a livable wage instead of assuming every poor person is lazy?

Livable wages, while a very prominent and powerful political rallying cry, are a self-defeating proposal - ask any of the small business owners who used to have businesses in downtown Seattle or San Fran.

I think I've made this observation upthread, but if a business doesn't pay people enough, and they need state support, then that's essentially a subsidy to the business owner. Is it appropriate that the state keeps businesses afloat?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It’s a huge problem. We deliver “snack packs” to families with kids that have asked for help.
    Not one of these families has ever said “thanks” but instead has requested specific free foods.

Every person I know personally who receives food stamps, does so gratefully, and also works 50 or more hours a week. What about demanding a livable wage instead of assuming every poor person is lazy?

Livable wages, while a very prominent and powerful political rallying cry, are a self-defeating proposal - ask any of the small business owners who used to have businesses in downtown Seattle or San Fran.

I think I've made this observation upthread, but if a business doesn't pay people enough, and they need state support, then that's essentially a subsidy to the business owner. Is it appropriate that the state keeps businesses afloat?

How do you determine whether the fact that a person isn't meeting their subsistence needs is the responsibility of their poor choices or not?

A job that's sufficient to provide for the needs of a college student attending classes will not pay enough to sustain the head of household in a family of 4 or 6 or even 2 or 3.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

that business should be taxed appropriately to cover the money's taken from the state and then some...for using state money and resources to keep their business afloat. . imo

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's charity.

And just because a word has been abused for 50 or 60 or 100 years doesn't change reality.

I am calling it an entitlement program because it literally meets the exact definition of an entitlement program. If you disagree take it up with the dictionary? The federal government? Your local HHS office? God? Because SNAP meets the criteria exactly as entitlement program is currently defined.

This is true (that it's an entitlement program means nothing about whether someone allegedly "deserves" something or not, in this case it's simply a social safety net). But that it's an entitlement program also says nothing about whether we could decide that SNAP cannot be used to buy soda. Of course we could. Personally, I don't understand why anyone really cares, on either side, but I don't really think of soda as food (I mean, technically it has calories, but as the program doesn't cover lots of things, such as cooked food, I don't see the horror if it doesn't cover soda). Nor do I see any particular benefit of changing the program so that it doesn't cover soda, it's really a so what IMO.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »

that business should be taxed appropriately to cover the money's taken from the state.

Any taxes a business pays comes from the monies collected from the goods or services sold/provided.

So folks like you and me ultimately end up paying these taxes. Even when large corporations are considered, the money still comes from the consumer, spelled you and me.

The answer is far more complex than just "tax the businesses."

There are well known precursors to poverty. Not finishing school, having children out of wedlock, drug or alcohol addiction, and criminal convictions are all AVOIDABLE events.

But it seems we are not allowed to talk about this today.

What percentage of poverty would be addressed if the people making the choices listed above would simply choose differently?

I think most are naturally compassionate towards those whom life has kicked them for no good reason, such as disaster, born with physical or mental challenges and so forth. What is harder is how to deal with those who engaged in choices that are known precursors to poverty.

As I said, it's as complicated as society's response to the issue.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

that business should be taxed appropriately to cover the money's taken from the state.

With all the additional frictional cost... That's sensible use of taxpayers equity.

Whilst I'm in the UK, rather than the US, of generally rather see government money spent on something that delivers benefit rather than process.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

It's charity.

Technically it is. "Entitlement program" or "it's an entitlement" (referring to such a program) does not mean that someone is morally entitled to something, that's it's not charity also, that they are morally owed it. It merely means that as the program is set up ALL who meet the requirements get (are legally entitled to) the benefits in question.

That's distinct from something like public housing or Section 8, where many more people meet the criteria than are able to/eligible to receive it, as there are huge waiting lists. (This is one reason I think how our housing subsidies work is grossly unfair.)

Anyway, it's technically an entitlement, sure, as in part of an entitlement program to which you are legally entitled (the person giving it out cannot impose additional qualifications), but that means nothing beyond that, and often it gets misunderstood since people seem to claim otherwise. It certainly doesn't mean the gov't can't change the benefits OR the requirements for eligibility.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

No it isn't - it is a subsidy of the life choices that the EMPLOYEE made, not the business owner. Put the responsibility where it belongs. The employer made a contract with the employee - you work for me, I pay you 'x'. As long as the employer keeps up his side of the bargain, he has satisfied his responsibility. Anything beyond that falls squarely on the shoulders of the employee.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

No it isn't - it is a subsidy of the life choices that the EMPLOYEE made, not the business owner. Put the responsibility where it belongs. The employer made a contract with the employee - you work for me, I pay you 'x'. As long as the employer keeps up his side of the bargain, he has satisfied his responsibility. Anything beyond that falls squarely on the shoulders of the employee.

I disagree with this completely. business have an obligation to have a social and communal conscious and make the appropriate contribution to its people and community. AND if that company cant do it on their own the gvt has a right and obligation to impose it.

How on earth do you impose a communal conscience?

I'm not sure what country you're in, but from the POV of the US system, the government doesn't have the right to impose any sort of communal or civic consciousness on a business. They can step in if harm is being done and enforce actual obligations a business may have, but I don't see anything to support the point of view they have the right to do more than that.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I assume she just means a minimum wage.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

How do you determine whether the fact that a person isn't meeting their subsistence needs is the responsibility of their poor choices or not?

A job that's sufficient to provide for the needs of a college student attending classes will not pay enough to sustain the head of household in a family of 4 or 6 or even 2 or 3.

Not sure how you define a living wage in the US, but here it's got a specific value, which is regionally adjusted. That does reflect that some jobs aren't going to support a family, so you end up with people needing multiple jobs, with all the challenges that brings.

The points just been made upthread that poverty is complex, and this debate demonstrates both an absence of empathy from many, and a poor understanding.

Personally I'd see more value in spending money on addressing sources of poverty, rather than symptoms. Given very different economies most of the practical observations of make around that don't really apply to the US.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

I disagree with this completely. business have an obligation to have a social and communal conscious and make the appropriate contribution to its people and community. AND if that company cant do it on their own the gvt has a right and obligation to impose it.

How on earth do you impose a communal conscience?

I'm not sure what country you're in, but from the POV of the US system, the government doesn't have the right to impose any sort of communal or civic consciousness on a business. They can step in if harm is being done and enforce actual obligations a business may have, but I don't see anything to support the point of view they have the right to do more than that.

with social laws and addressing wages and omg...take a civics class already.