Can't keep up with my clean calorie intake

Options

Replies

• DrummerGavin
    DrummerGavin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am new to this so I'm not even sure myself. I would like to gain muscle mass and lose the little belly fat I have left. I'm not concerned with a weight number per se, but would like to be bigger and stronger and not in a "freshly pumped" kind of way but real strength and real gains. I do know that you get a ton more "gains" when first starting so I've considered that
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Just reiterating what the others have said (and in case someone pops in here with the calorie vs nutrition).

Hit your macros - protein, fats, carbs
    Hit your micros - vitamins, minerals, fiber, blah, blah blah
    Since macros and micros are taken care of for physical needs (i.e., nutrition) then:

Whatever higher calorie stuff to meet your calorie needs.

Not big on ice cream but love me some fried chicken thighs to meet calorie needs when bulking. Or PBJ sammichs.
    Or a couple slices of pizza. Slice of pie is good too. So many ways. Heck a good chunk of beef chuck roast helps hit the protein and fats.

Damn, now I'm hungry!
  • DrummerGavin
    Options
    Lol! Thanks piperdown44! I can definitely do that. I am hitting the micro and macro numbers and damn do I miss a good burger!! *kitten*, now I'm hungry!
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I know that I am making gains and not just losing fat alone because not only am I starting to bust the sleeves on my t-shirts but I've also doubled my strength in that 10 weeks. I've never really had any fat surrounding muscle except for my ab section and not even there until about 5 years ago. I've always had a very good metabolism my whole life and been very active. I'm 49 now but it wasn't until I hit my 40's that it slowed down and started hitting my belly. I want to be able to have a "men's physique" type body. I've never focused on my body intensely because I never had to. Now I want to see what I'm capable of if I put all my focus and energy into it.

CNS adaptations for a new lifter will add significant strength. Creatine supplementation adds some serious pump during exercise and as much as 4-8 pounds of water retention weight to muscle. Heck, I get a pump just shaking up my protein in the morning because of creatine. You can also gain a temporary couple of pounds after a good hard training session as some people gain water weight in their muscles during the repair/rest cycle. All of these things can make it initially seem like you are gaining true muscle mass - but the truth is that it is extremely unlikely outside of very specific conditions. The good news is that you fit into one of the catagories - newbie lifter - so it is possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time... but only for a short while.

edit: mmapags already covered most of what I said.

• DrummerGavin
    Options
    So if I continue my lifting routine of 3 days a week (full body push pull push week one and pull push pull for week two) at a high intensity and supplement properly... when is it realistic to expect real growth? I understand that everyone is different and there are countless variables but still.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    real growth takes time - admitted I'm female and don't lift like I should during the triathlon season - but getting a 1lb lean muscle gain a month is on the higher side of what you can expect - men may be more successful, but its takes time
  • DrummerGavin
    Options
    Thank you. I realize this is a life long journey that I want to make and am not in a rush... I just want to be realistic. Thanks for everyone's advice!! Much appreciated!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    So if I continue my lifting routine of 3 days a week (full body push pull push week one and pull push pull for week two) at a high intensity and supplement properly... when is it realistic to expect real growth? I understand that everyone is different and there are countless variables but still.

It's hard to know as there are so many variables. Age, gender, previous lifting experience, hormone profiles, lifting program etc.
    It's a good idea to track weight AND measurements. Reassess after a period of time. 1/2 the year I use powerlifting for reassessment (how much have my lifts increased, during bulk) and the other 1/2ish is scale and measurements when I'm dropping down bodyfat (leaning out).
  • deedee825
    deedee825 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    my daily average is about 2600cal (female, 5'4") - not sure why the focus on clean, but my go-tos (I do a high carb so 300+g most days of the week)

toast on the drive into work
    full fat yogurt, banana, farro (with some sour cream and cheese for fat) and some kind lf protein mid-morning
    lunch is normally potatos and chicken
    Dinner - depends on calories left for the day - last night was a sweet potato and barley dish with shrimp
    round the day out with a small bowl of cereal right before bed

my diary is open if you want to take a look (and yes, I had both a cupcake and a cookie yesterday) :)

I was just reading this. How can i view your diary.
    I'm a first time competitor and looking for some help with meals. My cal is 2080
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Short answer, yes continue. You have one of 2 choices. Recomp or lean bulk.

Recomp is to eat at maintenance and lift. You will slowly drop fat and gain muscle mass. Maybe a 1/2 pound to a pound per month.

The other, lean bulk, is too eat at a slight surplus, 200-250 cals per day. This maximizes muscle growth and minimizes fat gain. Under optimum conditions, you will gain 1.5 to 2 lbs per month. You may also pick up some fat, so after awhile, you may want to cut to lose it. Done right, fat gain will be minimal.

In either case, the key is hitting an aggressive protein target. Some will disagree but from the data I've seen, when bulking or recomping, I would to 1.2 grams protein per lb of lean body mass. Hit .35 to .4 fats and let carbs fall where they do. Mostly whole foods is great but I personally use an 80/20 rule, whole nutritionally dense foods/ whatever I want.

Some recent research has indicated that rep range has less effect on hypertrophy than previously thought and power lifting rep ranges, 3 to 5, have proven just as effective as hypertrophy range, typically 6-12. I mix 'em up personally. I do pyramid sets adding a little weight to each. So, my first set of any lift is 8 to 12 reps and my last (of 3) is 3-5. I feel like this hits both strength gains and mass growth (or preservation in deficit) Only one of may ways to get there. Hope this helps!
  • DrummerGavin
    Options

It's hard to know as there are so many variables. Age, gender, previous lifting experience, hormone profiles, lifting program etc.
    It's a good idea to track weight AND measurements. Reassess after a period of time. 1/2 the year I use powerlifting for reassessment (how much have my lifts increased, during bulk) and the other 1/2ish is scale and measurements when I'm dropping down bodyfat (leaning out).

I will start taking measurements! I've just started working on a personal training certificate via ISSA and am going to use my own body first to learn from. This community is very helpful in getting me started and I know I have a lot to learn but there is so much info out there I really needed a jump off point. Thanks again!
  • DrummerGavin
    Options
    I've been pyramiding 12,10,8,6 with a 60 second rest between then cutting my max weight to 60% and doing a last set of 12 after a 2 minute rest. Recently I've tried the 10x10's at about 70% max and really liked it (makes workouts about an hour and 40!!). I've also done heavy days (max 3-5 reps and 4-5 sets). I actually blew out a rib cartilage a couple weeks ago on a 600lb leg press (last set). I'm still finding my way and learning. I guess that'll never stop
  • mmapags
    Options
    I've been pyramiding 12,10,8,6 with a 60 second rest between then cutting my max weight to 60% and doing a last set of 12 after a 2 minute rest. Recently I've tried the 10x10's at about 70% max and really liked it (makes workouts about an hour and 40!!). I've also done heavy days (max 3-5 reps and 4-5 sets). I actually blew out a rib cartilage a couple weeks ago on a 600lb leg press (last set). I'm still finding my way and learning. I guess that'll never stop

That'll work if you have the time to devote. How has day after been? That's a good amount of volume. If I do that much volume, I am wiped the next day but I'm 66. I usually do a warm up set and 3 pyramided work sets. I'm not too arbitrary on rest although I t's usually at least 1 minute. I kind of let my body tell me when the ATP is ready. Can be as much as 2 minutes but I want to make sure to optimize that set.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    nah you can eat whatever you want. eat less cals than you burn and you will lose fat no matter what.

For weight loss, not for lifelong health. Or at least that's my understanding. I have to admit to not being the most in-the-know person on here, and there a lot of people on this site who are absolute experts, no sarcasm intended whatsoever.

I've always thought that, sure, you could lose weight eating only butter, or only beef, or only chips, or pick something, so long as you follow CICO. I agree with a previous poster who encouraged you to hit your macro and micronutrient goals, then everything else is whatever you want. Still, I'd be hesitant to make the rest of it purely ribeye steaks or pizza or buffalo wings (again, I am far from expert).

That said, I have adult beverages every night and I'll be god damned if I'm going to stop eating cookies and pizza.
  • DrummerGavin
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

That'll work if you have the time to devote. How has day after been? That's a good amount of volume. If I do that much volume, I am wiped the next day but I'm 66. I usually do a warm up set and 3 pyramided work sets. I'm not too arbitrary on rest although I t's usually at least 1 minute. I kind of let my body tell me when the ATP is ready. Can be as much as 2 minutes but I want to make sure to optimize that set.

I've been really good the following day. I actually get pissed when I'm not sore or a bit tight. It makes me feel like I didn't push hard enough. Before I started incorporating full body my workouts (push or pull) were about 55 min - 105 max. Since the full body or days I do 10x10's is goes from about an hour 35 to an hour 45. About once a month I throw in a HIIT hour with a trainer and she kicks my butt!!
  • DrummerGavin
    Options
    I'm slightly confused as to your goal....

You've lost 16lbs in 10 weeks, but you're making gains? It's likely your "gains" are due to getting leaner and your muscles becoming more defined, not that you're putting any muscle on.

I think you may be right. I'm guessing I've lost 14lbs of fat and maybe put on one or two lbs of lean muscle. Thank you for your insight!!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend maybe going to get a body comp assessment done (bodpod, dexa, hydrostatic) - it will give you a baseline to compare to (I typically go in every 3-4 months)
  • mmapags
    Options
    I'd recommend maybe going to get a body comp assessment done (bodpod, dexa, hydrostatic) - it will give you a baseline to compare to (I typically go in every 3-4 months)

Seconded! Takes a lot of the guessing out of what really happening.
  • vannymac
    vannymac Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your protein and carbs intake should be reletive to weight and muscle mass. You need specific amounts of these to grow and the amount increases as you do. The easiest variable to manipulate in that case is fat, this is also the quickest way to increase overall cal intake due to the greater calorie density.

Depending on your bodies tolerance I would say add something like double cream. So long as your saturate fat levels don't go sky high. You work in construction so I assume you are active all day so you should already be consuming higher levels if carbs than us desk monkeys
  • DrummerGavin
    Options
    Where can I go to get those tests done? I can't even correctly calculate my BMI. With an athletic build at 6'2" and 193 a normal "chart" puts me at like 26%. I know I still have fat to lose but I'm guessing I'm closer to 18 - 20. My new smart scale put me in the obese range!