Rich people have better hair?

Options
beingmore1
beingmore1 Posts: 3,131 Member
I love the shampoo at the salons, but it is so much more expensive. I have gotten shampoo at the dollar store before. It may have been chunky, and smelled weird, but I'd have to say it worked. My question is this....do the expensive hair products really work better? Do we really need to pay thirty dollars for shampoo? And i'm assuming if you are paying thirty dollars for shampoo it has a matching conditioner....probably also thirty dollars.

How about soap? Are the people who strictly use soap from, lets say, Bath & Body works cleaner than the rest of us? Or are those who use soap bars that cost fifty cents, just as clean but won't get confused with a fruit salad or coconut tree? Is more expensive better? Discuss. I must know.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Everything I use on my hair costs about 30 dollars total. Shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, heat spray.. Nothing elaborate is needed to keep your hair clean, choose the right products for your hair type, color regime.

eta I got that hand sanitizer from Bath&Body works for xmas and have one of those stashed everywhere and fits nice in my tiny purse.. do like the flavors its comes in.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    My stylist doesn't sell shampoo and conditioner, but makes recommendations, which is great.
    I finally found a shampoo and conditioner I like and buy it at discount stores (Winners or Marshalls).

Sad to say I probably have 10 bottles of shampoo/conditioner that I hate but don't want to throw away because of the "value" of the product. I wish I could donate it. It is painful to me to throw out a $30 bottle of shampoo.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I can tell a difference between the cheap stuff and more expensive stuff. I did go to cosmotology school and had my license for awhile, they crammed this stuff down our throats while in school. I was an 18 year broke girl, I didn't believe them and kept buying my Suave for years. Once I finally broke down and started buying better stuff I could tell the difference. Also with the better stuff you use less, I only go through 2 bottles a year of it. Yes, I do buy the matching conditioner and go through a bit more than that but I only buy it when there's a buy 2 get 1 free sale. So I spend about $120 a year on it, that's it.
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    beingmore1 wrote: »
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    My stylist doesn't sell shampoo and conditioner, but makes recommendations, which is great.
    I finally found a shampoo and conditioner I like and buy it at discount stores (Winners or Marshalls).

Sad to say I probably have 10 bottles of shampoo/conditioner that I hate but don't want to throw away because of the "value" of the product. I wish I could donate it. It is painful to me to throw out a $30 bottle of shampoo.

Why do you hate it?

My hair is thick and curly/wavy...a lot of shampoo/conditioners don't work well for me or often it's the smell. I'm fussy about a lot of scents. A product can work great but if I don't like the smell I obsess over it to the point I sometimes rewash my hair because it's so distracting.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I use a bar of soap.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I buy Pantene or Treseme if I have coupons. I do splurge on serum and leave in conditioner. I know it would work better if I used the matching shampoo/conditioner, but I can't bring myself to spend that much money. Plus my hair is very low maintenance.

In my opinion, Bath and Body Works is extremely over priced and the scents are way too strong. The only thing I like from there is the aromatherapy/stress relief line. I mainly stick with Dove or Olay.
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I started washing my hair every other day except for when I'm sweaty. Your natural oils are suppose to be healthier for your hair.
  • slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I love Zum Bar goat's milk soap or other cold pressed soaps. They smell fantastic, not over or under scented.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    JLAJ81 wrote: »
    I started washing my hair every other day except for when I'm sweaty. Your natural oils are suppose to be healthier for your hair.

This too. You aren't suppose to strip your hair with cleanser every day.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    beingmore1 wrote: »

Why do you hate it?

My hair is thick and curly/wavy...a lot of shampoo/conditioners don't work well for me or often it's the smell. I'm fussy about a lot of scents. A product can work great but if I don't like the smell I obsess over it to the point I sometimes rewash my hair because it's so distracting.

My biggest shampoo pet-peeve is when I have to use an outrageous amount to get it to properly lather in my hair.

I've been using Garnier Grow Strong for a couple of months now. It seems to work well on my curly hair, only costs about $6.00 a bottle, lathers great, AND it smells like apples. Win on my change purse and win on my hair.

No way in hell I'm spending $30.00 + on a bottle of shampoo when I've gotten great results with something far cheaper.

PS. I don't want to sound full of myself, but I've gotten a lot of compliments on my hair and I never go to a salon. I dye my hair on my own and I've gotten by just fine without hairstylists. All they ever do is *kitten* up my cut because they don't know how to cut curly hair so I only go when I'm desperate for a trim.

Ditto! My hair is naturally curly and I cut and color it myself. I do use color-protecting shampoo and conditioner, but never more than $9.00 a bottle for each. I shampoo and condition my hair 3 times a week and use dry shampoo on the other days. Before I go to bed I put Vitamin E oil on the ends. Works for me.

Hair type and strength is genetic and also has a lot to do with your diet and eating the proper nutrients. Often I see celebs with beautiful hair and start to get envious but then I remind myself that they are probably full of extensions and had to sit in a chair for hours while someone else makes them look that way (temporarily).
  • Vikka_V
    Options
    For the past 6 months I've been using Joico Violet shampoo and Joico Moisture conditioner...I buy the 1L bottles for $16.99 at Winners or Marshalls
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have high maintenance hair... long, fine but dense, naturally curly (2b-2c). I also have it colored (bc grey hair isn't cool at my age!). I used to use cheap stuff, but my hair was sooo dry/never moisturized enough. I also used to color it myself... until I got swollen lymph nodes on my scalp- scary!!) Now I pay a professional & very happy to do so bc I LOVE my hair now!! I also switched to higher quality products (bc if I only use a single product, I still have fluffy/frizzy hair.)
    With cream & gel and weekly clarifying shampoo/deep condition at home, I feel like I can rule the world, lol!!