Zumba? Yay or Nay??

Options
Okay guys so I want to try Zumba but I do not want to waste my money on something that does not work and is something that won't last for over a year but I also do not want to keep running and biking especially when I kinda dislike them both....so did any of you guys lose 100+ pounds on Zumba and eating and KEEP IT OFF or should I just stick to running and biking? I also love the elliptical but being the poor college student that I am I cannot afford a gym membership at the moment!!

Replies

• BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I like Zumba, it is a fun work out if you like to dance! Also, if you are looking to buy one of the sets- I found mine on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond not too long ago.

Give it a try before you buy though! There are TONS of videos on youtube that you can test it out with!

-BT
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Being a poor college student, check with your university/college. Do they have a gym/weight room open to students? Do local gyms offer student discounts on memberships?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Keeping your calories in check keeps weight off. Exercise is for fitness and health. If you like to dance, then Zumba might be for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dedicationandcommitment
    Options
    They do not have a gym so I'm out of luck!!
  • rebeccalee1986
    Options
    I love doing zumba, I do it about 5 times a week. I combine it with a strength workout as well currently using a personal trainer. I have lost 41 pounds since 2010 with a gap between aug 2012 to july 2013 so I kept of the weight for a year but now I am back trying to lose the last 28 pounds
    Options
    Keeping your calories in check keeps weight off. Exercise is for fitness and health. If you like to dance, then Zumba might be for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I do I love to dance and I know all about fitness and health I am ex D-1 athlete until my injury!!
    Options
    I like Zumba, it is a fun work out if you like to dance! Also, if you are looking to buy one of the sets- I found mine on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond not too long ago.

Give it a try before you buy though! There are TONS of videos on youtube that you can test it out with!

-BT

Do you remember how much it cost at Bed Bath and Beyond?
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Zumba is fun and it's a great cardio workout. If you like dancing, you'll enjoy it. I like to mix up my exercises because I am easily bored. I was doing some zumba classes with a friend of mine and they only ran $3 for a 30-minute session. You can probably find an affordable class somewhere. :)

(I stopped doing zumba, though, because I am uncoordinated as hell)
    Options
    I'm very good with coordination I just wanted to know is it worth the buy and does truly honestly work...plus I love to dance. I'ma beast on my Wii lmao!!
  • Marloesx92
    Options
    I bought zumba for my Nintendo Wii. It tried this, because in the gym they have a group where everyone knows the steps and me as dummy.. Naah im not going to stand there and make me look like a fool. Now i am doing zumba on days when i stay home from the gym. I love doing it! You also can look on YouTube.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba. You can do it without spending any money. I search for clips on YouTube, save them to my playlist, and then just put it on shuffle. Doesn't cost a thing! And I subscribe to my favorite instructors so I know when they have done a new routine.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I do zumba as workout at times im starting it today along with rip in 30 zumba helped me shed my first 15 lbs in 2011 and I did zumba until last year then I got pregnant so gained weight then lol but im back on it now so it works u can look up few youtube videos or CL or actual zumba site they also have games for systems I have played it for ps3 move and wii really fun same type of game tho lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your diet is going to be much more determinant of whether or not you lose weight...use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

Personally, if I were a broke college kid, I'd do something else that didn't cost me any money, unless you just really like dancing and stuff.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    It works if you're just getting into fitness. I personally think it is too easy for someone who has been challenged before.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba as a supplement to my other workouts. Fun way to burn some extra calories.
  • JAGWIRE13579
    Options
    Do you have a local library? I wasn't sure about yoga so I borrowed a basic yoga DVD from my library for free. If you do decide to go with the Zumba try used. There are a lot of us out there that buy stuff to get in shape and then discover we don't like it or don't stick with it. Garage sales, craigs list, play-it-again sports or game stop have cheaper than new stuff.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm very good with coordination I just wanted to know is it worth the buy and does truly honestly work...plus I love to dance. I'ma beast on my Wii lmao!!

I'm not sure what you mean by asking if it works... you move, you burn calories. You eat less than you burn, you lose weight.

The best exercise is something you'll stick with.

A lot of places will give you a free session or a deal on your first so you can try it out and see if it's something for you.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Really work in what sense? Running really works if you want to improve your running and cardio, eating less junk and overall calories really works if you want to lose weight, weights really work if you want to get stronger....zumba really works if you want to work on cardio....you can do all the cardio in the world and you won't lose significant weight if you eat a ton of crap and are over calories every day..so really only you can answer that.

I use zumba to supplement the days that I don't run for my cardio....I wouldn't say its the best workout ever, but it gets me moving and its fun and lower impact on my knees then running.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals.

bu yes- t it's fun- it's a good way to get people moving- you don't need to be crazy coordinated- but balance/coordination are things that can all be improved anyway.... do it- have fun.

The more you put in- the more you get out of it.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba. So much fun!!!