Zumba? Yay or Nay??

Options

Replies

• dedicationandcommitment
    Options
    I stopped eating like a slob a while ago....I eat healthier now!!!
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a great cardio workout, I do it on the wii but I also do a class, I also run three times a week and have started doing some strength training, so far I have lost 30lbs. I love Zumba as soon as the music starts you can feel your feet wanting to move, you feel like you've had a great workout at the end, see if you can find a class that is willing to let you try the first session for free, but also try it on the wii, good luck!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    ...in the gym they have a group where everyone knows the steps and me as dummy.. Naah im not going to stand there and make me look like a fool...

We didn't start out knowing all the moves, you know - we all started out looking like fools and not trying to hit others with flying elbows :)

I love newbies in my Zumba classes, but I'm never sure whether I should talk to them and tell them not be intimidated, or if they'd prefer that we all pretend we didn't notice that they're obviously new.

I love to see people try new things.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I love zumba...it's fun and I'm dripping sweat by the end of it. Some instructors are definetly better than others. so if you have a choice, try a couple different teachers before committing to one. And you have to give it more than one cclass. Have fun!!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I love it!! But I loved to dance before I'd gotten so overweight!! Good Music! you are balls to the wall for a solid hour!!
    I like the live classes much better than the game/videos. When Im in front of ppl I will try harder and not stop!!
    Good luck. I only do 2 times a week and have lost lots of inches
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    YAY ZUMBA!

There are tons of youtube videos of routines online.

As an instructor, we use youtube all the time change up songs and get ideas to a routine we may have already put together. No gym required, and no buying of the DVD's.

In person classes are always more fun- sites like groupon have deals such as $10 for 10 classes to drum up business for gyms and the instructors. I'd look there as well.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Zumba - I have the disc set however I think you can find quite a few on You tube for free. I have used mostly Zumba since April however I incorporate strength / resistance on some days. Their toning one is OK but I do not feel it is enough. I also mix in hip hop abs as well for variety here and there.

I am just now starting to get a teeny tiny bit bored with it and I do it at least 3 times a week utilizing two of the discs. If you use You tube or go to a class..you should not get bored with it.

Fantastic for cardio - but you will need something else for strength / toning.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I did Zumba for the first time earlier this year - and LOVED it! However, I developed a health setback and haven't tried it since (granted, doing it for the first time for a 2 hour Zumba-thon and not being somewhat used to regular exercise didn't help either :tongue: )
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If you love dance like I do, Zumba is for you... In addition, to Zumba there is Hip-Hop Fitness which is more challenging...
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I Love Zumba! I loved it so much when I was working out a few years ago, but then got pregnant and stopped working out. About 6 months ago I bought the DVD's on QVC and I haven't hardly touched it. BUT, I've since joined the gym and I love to take the classes. I go 2-3x per week with a friend. I still don't know the routines, but IMO, the instructor makes the difference. So, you have to find an instructor you connect with. Since each instructor is different, I know it'll take me awhile to learn the routines, especially when they keep adding new ones. I just make sure to keep moving the whole hour and I can burn up to 800 cals with my age and weight.

I understand "broke", but have you checked with any gyms that offer college discounts? I only pay $27 per month. My husband only pays $20 a month with his employer discount. For me, its worth every penny. I have another 60lbs to lose.

Otherwise, I 2nd the option to find it used on DVD or check Groupon, LivingSocial, etc for deals on a package of classes. I just had friends get 6 Zumba classes for $24 at a local studio.

Side note: when you go to a class, get there early and tell the instructor you're new. They can help put you in a spot where you can learn the moves from them or make sure they are explaining things to the group so you can follow along.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love zumba! I do it a couple of times a week to supplement my other forms of cardio (treadmill, running/walking, elliptical, stair climber) because, honestly, they aren't as much fun. (I also do a lot of strength training.) My zumba class does a good job of shaking things up for me. According to my bodymeda bodybugg I burn about 750 calories in one class. I'm a big girl (300+) and not very coordinated, but I have a LOT of fun and I just go for it regardless of how silly I might look. I also love my instructor, which helps. I'm also drenched in sweat and exhausted when it's over.

Most places will allow you to take a complimentary class to see if you like the instructor. You should do that if you can to see what you think.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Love zumba too :) Individual classes are expensive, so i joined YMCA..working out well for me..its more fun to do it in class than at home for me..for one, at home, when i am tired..i just stop..cant do that in the group class :) i love to dance too, so this workout is something i can stick with..i get too bored with any other form of cardio :(
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I started my journey using Zumba. I don't do it as much any more but I still love it. It is great for cardio and also for toning your core.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If you love dance like I do, Zumba is for you... In addition, to Zumba there is Hip-Hop Fitness which is more challenging...
    What he said
    Why the hesitation, join a class, you will think it sucks and difficult, the thing about Zumba is you will find thru time (by the second class or third), you will adapt to the Choreography and Excel in it. and it's the least boring,least repetitive, and the least painful way to lose weight .IMHO. I lost 40 lbs mainly due to Zumba. Now I do Zumba 3 times a week plus a whole bunch of other stuff. and I'm a 48 year old dude.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Zumba! It is the only workout I did for about 5 months and I lost close to 40 pounds. I started running a couple of months ago because I was plateauing a little so I reduced from 4-5 classes a week to 3 classes a week. So now I run 3 times a week and Zumba 3 times a week.

One thing I will say is that I like classes a lot better than videos. You feed off of other people's energy and good instructors switch things up a little to keep it fresh. I get bored with the monotony of the videos.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I've been going for 2 years now anywhere from 2-4 times a week, plus I lift weights to supplement. I don't plan to give it up anytime soon because it's a great calorie burn and is SO much fun! But I am noticing more of a difference in my body since I added the weights in, which is an added bonus!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    LOVE ME SOME ZUMBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I'm very good with coordination I just wanted to know is it worth the buy and does truly honestly work...plus I love to dance. I'ma beast on my Wii lmao!!

Buy Zumba 2 or Zumba Core for Wii, I love it and for me yes it has been helping with my weight loss
  • danapenguin
    danapenguin Posts: 161
    Options
    i love Zumba!! i go to the classes though. Here they are $5 a class but my work offers an intense Zumba once a week f or free!! I love it and I burn about 500 calories in one hour! Its a great way to exercise and you wont believe how sore you are the next day!!
    I did have Zumba for Wii and I hated it, but there are lots of Zumba dances on Youtube that will kick your butt! Good luck and join the party!