Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can one really lose weight without exercise???

2»

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Theoretically it is always possible. Any calorie deficit will result in weight loss. Whether or not it is realistic and sustainable is an entirely different matter. If you're smaller/older/less active and have a lower TDEE and need to eat 1200 calories to have a deficit, is it reasonable to assume that you can eat a nearly perfect diet to ensure proper nutrition, weigh and measure every morsel of food because there's minimal room for logging error (on top of the potentially 20% error on nutrition labels), always feel satiated on minimal food and never choose to indulge in "treats" that really don't fit into that lifestyle? Reasonable? Not in my opinion. Possible, but I couldn't do it. Kudos to anyone who can. That doesn't mean you have to workout like a fiend. Just being active in any form increases calorie burn. But being active is what makes it possible for me to maintain the deficit I need to maintain in order to lose.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,825 Member
    Do you have a fitbit with HR sensor? If so it's very possible that your maximum heartrate is fairly low. This means that the fitbit only registers a very small heartrate increase when you move around and thus gives you less calories. Not being so tall and already fairly light, and your age unfortunately plays a role in that. But if you're fitter and stronger than most people at your age then your calorie burn will be higher than what fitbit gives you. Mine is off by quite a lot, and I only use it for general data nerdery.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    So the kicker is - if I want to up my calories, even a bit, I MUST exercise.

i had trouble working out what the point of the thread was, but if it's this then i guess that the answer is 'sure'. ignoring the specific numbers involved, you're basically saying 'if i want to eat more than i burn, and yet i stlll want to lose weight, then i need to burn more'.

idk what there is to say about that, really. it seems sort of self-evident, or maybe i'm the one who has missed something here. the rest of it seems to be just about what those numbers might actually be.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    I wouldn't put my trust in any electronic device completely. My first fitness tracker was a Fitbit & if I had eaten what the Fitbit said I could to maintain weight, I would have starved to death. It came back with something like 800 calories. Later, I wrote a review on Fitbit for a tech magazine and I contacted the company regarding my low calorie burn; they confirmed that it isn't an exact science. More recently I did the same experiment with an Apple Watch which came in with a more realistic number. Throughout both I ate the same amount of calories and maintained my weight despite both devices saying I "should have" gained at least a pound. I would take rest days as needed, keep counting calories and logging your food. Use the fitness tracker as a guide but not a definitive answer on calories burned. And, congratulations on how far you've come.