please weigh in and MAKE me understand (help me)

Options

Replies

• pateljennifer
    pateljennifer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What kind of excercise are you doing? Walking 2-4 miles a day and eating according to my fitness pal should get you to where you want to be. I've only been using this app for a little over a week and have lost 4 pounds. I don't eat as many calories as it suggests but following the info on here is helping me to reach my goals. Are you logging in all your meals?? Just a suggestion. Good luck
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You already got linked to the pertinent thread, and I hope you've read it. Meanwhile, you're going to have to learn to be patient.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Ronogg wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice.. yes i have a scale I am no expert at using it though.. i will read about it after reading all your replies8jnqhvry7u0b.jpg I usually scan my food and or look at the calories on the lable. I know for a fact in Feb when I saw my dr that i was eating 6-7k calories a day... tons of food and that is why i was 180# he told me to write everything down that i eat and try to stay at 1200 calories a day and there would be no way i would not loose weight. so since my dr visit it has been my goal to drop weight and be healthy again.. Then we decided on our trip(made plans in July) for December and it gave me more motivation. I will keep closer track of my intake and see if it is a logging issue.. and cut back more if need be. Again thanks for all the replies. sorry for any grammar issues... :blush:

That's the same scale I have. If you are not losing track better, weigh prepackaged items, use the recipe builder, and don't forget to log liquids, nibbles, and bites. Good luck
  • Ronogg
    Ronogg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So what about the types of food how much does that really matter... ie carbs vs protein? If calorie numbers are followed perfectly can I eat lots of carbs up to my calorie limit? I am also trying to drink a minimum of 100 oz of water each day.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I drink water when I'm thirsty. I don't like water. I'm wondering what MFP says you should be eating to lose 2# a week. When I follow MFP completely, don't go over, and only eat back about 1/2 of the exercise calories (often they are inflated on MFP), I lose the weight I'm supposed to by month.

As for what you eat, if you eat just carbs, you might not feel great. Balance your food and don't sweat the details at this point. Count any drinking calories, milk in coffee, any nibbles, they all add up. Measure in grams as it's more precise than ounces. Take your time, as many have said, so that you can learn how to do this and keep the weight off once you lose it.
  • Ronogg
    Ronogg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Measure in grams as it's more precise than ounces.
    just tried to do this with dinner had to convert grams to oz on the cheese i used in my pizza burger dinnermeegiv4p60l1.jpg
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    just tried to do this with dinner had to convert grams to oz on the cheese i used in my pizza burger dinnermeegiv4p60l1.jpg

The entry you chose is for fluid ounces, which is a volume metric not a weight metric. Unless you're measuring water, you shouldn't be trying to convert from grams to fluid ounces.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,634 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If you're sure about your entries.... of course go with them.

If I was randomly logging a meal such as the one you describe, I would probably log it as per below.

Assuming you got the actual low moisture part skim Lucerne mozza, from the various entries in the database, I would assume it to be approximately 80 Cal per oz (28.35g)
    if your 4fl oz represent ~120 grams, the entry you're using is wrong.
    note that a fl oz does not equal an oz, unless you're talking water.

Note that a full fat mozzarella would have different values.

4n0p67bzgt2y.jpg
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    www.convertunits.com is a handy site to know about.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    just tried to do this with dinner had to convert grams to oz on the cheese i used in my pizza burger dinner

In that instance you can use the first serving choice - 0.25 cup (1oz/28g). If you weighed out lets say 100 oz of cheese, you would log it as 3.57 servings. Or as PAV888 suggested, weigh out 4 ounces and log it as 4 servings.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Find a better database entry for the cheese, or enter your own based on the package label. It should have the portion amount in grams on the label.

If you're using the app barcode scanner, be aware that the entry it picks is often not the best one. I frequently had to manually search or create personal entries because the barcode pulled up a junk entry.