please weigh in and MAKE me understand (help me)

Options

Replies

• Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    @ziggy2006: "Invest in a digital scale and use it like a fanatic."

Some seriously good advice IMHO!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Cross reference your details from the package with MFP, a lot of the database is user created so wrong entries or their own recipes that could be literally anything, there's no way of knowing. Make sure to look for entries with the weight measurement (sometimes this is harder than is reasonable but it is what it is). If in doubt refer to the USDA website for correct calories.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode might be the wrong wording for it but your body does store everything you eat as fat when it's being deprived for a period of time. It does not stop storing over night, it takes time to change. So I refer to it as starvation mode but you can call it whatever you want.

Hi daisy.
    That's actually am old way of thinking that was never true. Your body may retain water and times but that's it. Because we are MFP friends, you may have noticed that I eat under 1200 cals a day (medical reasons) and have lost weight steadily. Anorexics also continue to lose and they truly starve themselves.
    Any type of stall is just water (or constipation), not stored fat.
  • okohjacinda
    okohjacinda Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to eat under 1000 calories unless I was really sick and when I do eat under 1000 cals, I am dropping nearly a pound a day. But even if I eat a little under 1200, I am still dropping 2-2.5lbs a week at 240 (so I would guess my TDEE is about 1900-2100 at my current weight and you being a male it should be way higher than that) so you might want to make sure your logging is as accurate as possible.

And don't go off labels or eyeballing or what others have entered on MFP. Measure everything! Go a week with strict measuring...I mean down to the very last morsel and see if there is not a difference.
  • creatureofchaos
    creatureofchaos Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It honestly sounds like your logging is off. You'd have lost significantly more than 2lbs per week if you were truly eating 800 calories. For perspective that's about a large baked potato, a bit of butter, average chicken breast and a protein bar.

So yes, you should be eating far more than 800 calories but your losses show you were anyway.
    People telling you that you must be eating much more than you think aren't necessarily right. I was on a supervised 600 calorie VLCD for medical reasons and there were weeks I didn't lose, and on average I lost a pound a week. Bodies aren't machines. They do work, though.

My advice would be to see a doctor, if you can, and take your log with you. They may want to runs tests or have ideas about what to do to help. It doesn't have to be this hard.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Not sure if we've gone over this in either this thread or another one the OP started.

OP is a little bit impatient.

I am pretty sure that someone has mentioned that what matters is the trend over time and not just a day to day or week to week loss you can't necessarily see.

And that a trending weight web site or app is your friend in managing to see what your weight is doing over time.

The body weight planner which can be found at the USDA SuperTracker web site (you may want to run it in expert mode) is based on Dr. Kevin Hall's modelling which, depending on your inputs, does NOT predict 1lb of change for each 3500 Cal.
  • Ronogg
    Ronogg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cross reference your details from the package with MFP, a lot of the database is user created so wrong entries or their own recipes that could be literally anything, there's no way of knowing. Make sure to look for entries with the weight measurement (sometimes this is harder than is reasonable but it is what it is). If in doubt refer to the USDA website for correct calories.

did this for my meal today here is what i came up with.. this is hamburger patties from a cow we purchased from a local farmer so 80% lean is a guess according to the butcher who processed the meat for us... also besides a kombucha for lunch this is all i have had to eat today besides 90 oz of water and 16 oz of black coffee..k7g9z6iug2xy.jpg
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Your hamburger bun is suspiciously low on calories, I know the couple of varieties I have had very recently were over 200 calories each but otherwise this is looking pretty good!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Your hamburger bun is suspiciously low on calories, I know the couple of varieties I have had very recently were over 200 calories each but otherwise this is looking pretty good!

I looked at a couple of different sites and was surprised that the Winco hamburger bun at 43 grams actually is 100 calories. That is a really small bun!

OP you should be weighing the bun though - I would be really surprised if they weighed exactly 43 grams every time.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    It honestly sounds like your logging is off. You'd have lost significantly more than 2lbs per week if you were truly eating 800 calories. For perspective that's about a large baked potato, a bit of butter, average chicken breast and a protein bar.

So yes, you should be eating far more than 800 calories but your losses show you were anyway.
    People telling you that you must be eating much more than you think aren't necessarily right. I was on a supervised 600 calorie VLCD for medical reasons and there were weeks I didn't lose, and on average I lost a pound a week. Bodies aren't machines. They do work, though.

My advice would be to see a doctor, if you can, and take your log with you. They may want to runs tests or have ideas about what to do to help. It doesn't have to be this hard.

He does have a lot of data, he was consistently losing 2lbs per week, that tells us exactly what was happening. You don't start at his weight and "only" (2lbs is great so it's not truly only) lose 2lbs per week over the period he did. I go weeks without losses, as you say, that's normal but to stall for 4 weeks when you think you're eating 800 calories? Highly unlikely. It would be quite a thing to retain 14lbs+ for an entire month.

And aside from that, it's never terrible thing to tighten your logging because the less you weigh the more accuracy matters.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

I looked at a couple of different sites and was surprised that the Winco hamburger bun at 43 grams actually is 100 calories. That is a really small bun!

OP you should be weighing the bun though - I would be really surprised if they weighed exactly 43 grams every time.

Wow! I'm just picturing a bun half the size of the ones I buy and I think it would disintegrate during eating, that's a messy burger.

But I digress. Weighing the bun is obviously making things more accurate but at such a low calorie item I personally wouldn't bother (and for disclosure I don't weigh packaged items, living alone I figure it all comes out in the wash).
  • Ronogg
    Options

Wow! I'm just picturing a bun half the size of the ones I buy and I think it would disintegrate during eating, that's a messy burger.

But I digress. Weighing the bun is obviously making things more accurate but at such a low calorie item I personally wouldn't bother (and for disclosure I don't weigh packaged items, living alone I figure it all comes out in the wash).

yesterday i weighed them a whole package they weigh between 41 and 44 grams each so 43 seems perfect
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

I'm picturing something similar to sandwich thins. Messy burger for sure.

And I don't weigh most packaged items either unless I am in serious lose mode (I'm in sorta lose mode now). But for someone starting out trying to pinpoint issues weighing everything is a good practice to get into.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

I'm picturing something similar to sandwich thins. Messy burger for sure.

And I don't weigh most packaged items either unless I am in serious lose mode (I'm in sorta lose mode now). But for someone starting out trying to pinpoint issues weighing everything is a good practice to get into.

Fair points too.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Ronogg wrote: »

yesterday i weighed them a whole package they weigh between 41 and 44 grams each so 43 seems perfect

Perfect!

• Ronogg
    Options
    k6ogyd5hhruw.jpg
    xiysein4fs60.jpg
    ryoedf5pbcuf.jpg

Defiantly more burger than bun but not messy ... I just use a bit of ketchup to dip them in so not messy at all.. I eat sandwich thins all the time also ... My wife wants me to do low carb but no way i like bread too much
  • Ronogg
    Options
    so far(since yesterday) all the packaged food that I have weighed has been spot on
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Just want to weight in and say that you've gotten some great advice and you have the right attitude and approach OP! Good on you!