Help figuring out bmr

Options
Hey guys, have you got any advice or resources for figuring out my base metabolic rate so I can know how much I'm supposed to be consuming for maintenance? Or however you guys have figured out what your calorie allowance is. Please share.

Thank ;-)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    you'll want your TDEE, not BMR...

scooby.com is pretty good.

or just use MFP...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,989 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Go to MY HOME>Goals>View guided setup here, select "Maintain my current weight." You'll be given a calorie goal.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Maintenance level certainly isn't your BMR!

First decide how you want to account for your exercise...

If estimating after the event then use the myfitnesspal method - so your daily goal is plus exercise. A varied daily amount.

If you prefer to eat the same amount daily then go to any (or several TDEE) calculators and manually set your goal which will then include an average amount for your usual exercise routine.

Both should end up similar over the long run but some fine tuning probably required to achieve a relatively stable weight within your chosen maintenance range.

If you have been logging a while your recent rate of loss is a good guide or starting point.
  • microwhisper
    microwhisper Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    you'll want your TDEE, not BMR...

scooby.com is pretty good.

or just use MFP...

Thanks TT. I'll look into my TDEE. x
  • microwhisper
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

If estimating after the event then use the myfitnesspal method - so your daily goal is plus exercise. A varied daily amount.

If you prefer to eat the same amount daily then go to any (or several TDEE) calculators and manually set your goal which will then include an average amount for your usual exercise routine.

Both should end up similar over the long run but some fine tuning probably required to achieve a relatively stable weight within your chosen maintenance range.

If you have been logging a while your recent rate of loss is a good guide or starting point.

Sijomial, sorry I should have clarified. I wanted to know my BMR as a basis for then figuring out my daily maintenance requirements. Not that I thought that would be all I needed. Thank you for all your advice though- I'll look into what you suggested :)
  • microwhisper
    Options
    I was also having problems settling on what my TDEE was and therefore what my maintenance calories should be, since different formulas give you different numbers and some say your BMR can be affected by dieting (the dreaded "starvation mode" phenomenon).

So I finally broke down and got mine tested at a nutritionist's office. It was not too expensive (and my insurance even covered the consultation and part of the test) and I got a nice, clear answer on what my own personal BMR and TDEE range are for maintenance. Made me feel loads better than the trial-and-error approach.

This is the test: http://korr.com/products/metabolic-rate-analysis-system/

Thank you!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I was also having problems settling on what my TDEE was and therefore what my maintenance calories should be, since different formulas give you different numbers and some say your BMR can be affected by dieting (the dreaded "starvation mode" phenomenon).

So I finally broke down and got mine tested at a nutritionist's office. It was not too expensive (and my insurance even covered the consultation and part of the test) and I got a nice, clear answer on what my own personal BMR and TDEE range are for maintenance. Made me feel loads better than the trial-and-error approach.

This is the test: http://korr.com/products/metabolic-rate-analysis-system/

The tester/test can be used to measure your BMR, but it does not measure your TDEE. They take your BMR results and spit out a TDEE based on calculations from your BMR and assumed activity. It still requires trial and error to get your TDEE. Consistent, honest logging and taking your results in a feedback loop is the closest way to get your TDEE short of living in a metabolic chamber. And it has the advantage that even if it's not 100% correct due to inaccuracies in logging/small difference in how many calories you actual get from your food vs. what's calculated, as long as you are consistent it will get you to the right answer for the purposes of food logging and calorie counting. E.g., if you are logging 2300 calories as your TDEE, even if you actually getting 2100 or 2500, it doesn't matter as long as you are consistent. You know for your activity and diet/logging habits that you need to stay to a goal of 2300 calories to maintain.

In my case, all the calculators say I should be maintaining on 2100 net calories at my weight and being a sedentary office worker. I lose unless I net at least 2300 calories/day based on years of logging (a TDEE of ~3000 cal/day as an avid runner).
  • All_The_Bacon
    All_The_Bacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The tester/test can be used to measure your BMR, but it does not measure your TDEE. They take your BMR results and spit out a TDEE based on calculations from your BMR and assumed activity. It still requires trial and error to get your TDEE.

Thanks for clarifying. I did some looking into the accuracy of the test before I went and paid for it, and it seemed to check out, but I'm still taking it slow working up to maintenance calories. I have been adding 100 cals every 2 weeks and weighing regularly. So far I'm still losing weight, just more slowly. I'm still below the TDEE the machine spit out, but getting close. Hopefully this approach will pin down an accurate number, but the test results did give me the confidence to start adding back those calories in decent chunks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, have you got any advice or resources for figuring out my base metabolic rate so I can know how much I'm supposed to be consuming for maintenance? Or however you guys have figured out what your calorie allowance is. Please share.

Thank ;-)

BMR isn't maintenance...BMR is the calories you burn merely existing...the calories you burn in a coma.

My BMR is between 1700-1800 calories...my maintenance is around 2600-2800

Just plug your stats and whatnot into this or preferably a TDEE calculator...you will get a reasonable starting point...make adjustments up or down as necessary. You don't have a TDEE of exactly XXXX calories...TDEE is a range of calories.
  • sijomial
    edited August 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Sijomial, sorry I should have clarified. I wanted to know my BMR as a basis for then figuring out my daily maintenance requirements. Not that I thought that would be all I needed. Thank you for all your advice though- I'll look into what you suggested :)

Ah OK - there's a BMR calculator/estimator on here.
    Online version, click on APPS top toolbar, that will bring up another toolbar - click on BMR.

But really it's a waste of time trying to work out TDEE manually from your BMR when this site and other calculators do it for you.
    My BMR is apparently 1567 and I maintain between 2500 and 3000.
  • microwhisper
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice... too kind. A lot learned and now time to churn out some numbers!!

Almost dinner time so bring on the calories!!! ;-)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    So, this fits my little rant today....

Basal Metabolic Rate is the number of calories that we humans need to simply exist. So, if you were to simply lay in bed all day and do absolutely nothing, that is your BMR. The human body is made up of a bunch of systems...and each of these systems "works" as long as we are alive. This "work" requires energy.

The formula for a woman is this:

BMR = 655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years)

To find your Active Metabolic Rate, you would simply take your BMR and multiply that by an "Activity Multiplier". That looks like this:

*Sedentary (little or no exercise) – your AMR = BMR x 1.2
    *Lightly active (light exercise/work 1-3 days per week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.375
    *Moderately active (moderate exercise/work 3-5 days per week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.55
    *Very active (hard exercise/work 6-7 days a week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.725
    *Ultra active (very hard exercise/work 6-7 days a week) – your AMR = BMR x 1.9

To find out your maintenance, you take the following formula:

(BMR + AMR)/2

Now, this is a formula so I strongly recommend using this as a starting point.

Are there other ways to figure this out? Sure are! Absolutely.

This is one tried and true way to figure out a starting point and then to use the "trial and error" method. But, slow changes over time (like a week or two....depending on several things) will be most useful in determining YOUR numbers. Again, formulas do not take genetics or 'nutritional history' into account.

Make sense?

• Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    One last comment - Buy a polar watch and heart strap and wear it all day on a few of your exercise days but also on rest days. It uses your actual heart rate along with your profile of Age, Sex, Weight to determine your TDEE.

What I found was it gave me a # that was 20 to 30% lower then what the on line charts were indicating. And since it's actually using my heart rate throughout the day I believe this is more accurate or at least it was for me.

All the best!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Except that BMR formula and TDEE multipliers are from a Harris 1919 study that has been found in many more studies since then to not be as accurate as they could be.

Shoot - that TDEE table doesn't even include daily activity in it - merely exercise, and days a week not even hours?

So a desk jockey walking 1 hr 3 x weekly and a mailman doing 1 hr 5 x weekly of cross-country skiiing - if their age, gender, weight, height are the same - have the same TDEE?

Obviously not.

MFP updated their multipliers for ONLY the non-exercise part of the day based on much more recent research, and even with no exercise it comes out to:

Sedentary - 1.25
    Lightly Active - 1.4
    Active - 1.6
    Very Active - 1.8

And your formula you recommend - why in the world would you even deal with a multiplier - and then take the average of the result and your BMR and call that your maintenance - you got that way off even with the old formula method and table?
  • sijomial
    Options
    Arleigh7 wrote: »
    One last comment - Buy a polar watch and heart strap and wear it all day on a few of your exercise days but also on rest days. It uses your actual heart rate along with your profile of Age, Sex, Weight to determine your TDEE.

What I found was it gave me a # that was 20 to 30% lower then what the on line charts were indicating. And since it's actually using my heart rate throughout the day I believe this is more accurate or at least it was for me.

All the best!
    @Arleigh7
    No heart rate monitors can't do that at all.
    Heart rate is very, very varied and there's no direct correlation between HR and calories.

They are a training aid for cardio not an activity tracker or calorie counter.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Arleigh7 wrote: »

All the best!

Nope, get an activity tracker if you want a rough estimate of your TDEE...
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Hey HeyBales! Love a good discussion. Thank you for responding to my post. Nothing personal taken. Like I said, love love love a good discussion.

So, your first point is a very good one! Yes, the formula that I use is indeed 100 years old. It has been updated twice, but it is still 100 years old. I do not believe that I mentioned that in this specific post, but I made numerous posts yesterday and somewhere in there I did indeed stipulate that this formula is 100 years old. But, a good formula is a good formula. Regardless of age. Anyway, thank you for making that point specific.

And, yes - MFP does indeed have a built-in BMR Tool. Based on one of the other two or three BMR formulas. To give you an idea, the formula that I use gives me a BMR of 1937 while the MFP built-in tool gives me a BMR of 1850. Same person. Same "stats". Somewhat big difference. Or, is it?

My point here - IT IS A FORMULA! So, use it as a guideline. Use it as a starting point. Adjust from there via - unless you have experience with doing this - the good old fashioned trial and error method.

I don't think that you will disagree with that point (it is a formula....use it as a starting point). But, I do not want to put words in your mouth.

So, then the next logical step is to find a formula that gets you as close as possible. Right? I mean, if we are using the formula as a starting point, why not get as close as possible. Agreed! 100%!

So, what formula should someone use? I suggested one. MFP uses another. There is at least one other "legit" formula out there. Does it matter which one you use? Well.........yes and no.

My whole point here is to find a formula, use it as a launching point and adapt based on "you". None of these formulas - NONE OF THEM - take into account two really important components: genetics and nutritional history. I think that you would agree with that! I mean, not trying to put words in your mouth. What say you?

Anyway, I welcome your comments. I really appreciate a good conversation and I do not propose that I know everything. Shoot! I know very little! So, I welcome the opportunity to learn something new.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Microwhisper - are you more confused now? :smile: I sure hope that our discussion is not leading to confusion. I hope that it is expanding your horizons. There is a lot of information out there (generally speaking) - some good and some bad - and you will find that there are a lot of opinions and ideas.

I just want to make sure that we are helping you to find an answer that works for you!