Starting KETO to help a friend

Options
2»

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

The doctor said to follow the basic structure of the plan and gave him a starting point with carbs and list of foods and meals to eat and what to avoid. The doctor told him to avoid a lot of the " fad " keto in a box stuff and stick to the raw version of the diet.
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    my profile pic is because of keto/high fat. im now high carb because im vegan and i can only maintain barely lose.. thats awesome that ur helping out ur friend

Good for you achieving what you did. You look great!!!!

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Atkins induction is basically keto. Does your friend have some prescribed keto program that the doctor is recommending, or just aiming for low carb, high fat?

He works at a hospital and the cardiologist ran some tests on him and suggested keto for his weight loss and for overall health.

Oh, I understood that from your prior post, just wondering if the doctor gave him a specific kind of keto plan (which may or may not be like Atkins) or just said do keto (which is more flexible, as it's really just eat a reasonable amount of protein for your size, less than 50 net carbs (some say less), the rest fat).

• tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i will say the only thing is keto made me smell really bad and made my skin super horrible but i was only eating a bunch of saturated fats like bacon, jerky, filet mignon and shrimp.. day in day out.. ooh and lots of steamed crab legs
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You're super sweet for being supportive. My caution is you're about to embark on a restrictive diet that some do well on and some don't. Be sure and research keto flu.

The other caution I have is make sure he doesn't hang his success on whether or not you keep to this diet. If you decide it's too restrictive, he needs to not decide to stop too. It's his health and ultimately his journey. You're not responsible for how or whether or not he finishes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sounds like you are all set.

I did it for a while, and focused on lots of vegetables plus protein as the basis of my meals (my breakfasts were already vegetable omelets, so that was easy), and would definitely recommend that approach, which I enjoyed (it's not that hard to get plenty of fat and feels decadent that you can add olive oil or butter or cheese without worrying about it, or of course avocado and nuts). Some of the current keto plans that seem popular are SUPER low carb, way lower than I could get even just focusing on non starchy veg as my source of carbs, and I don't understand what the deal is with that, really. Glad the doctor gave your friend some guidelines.

I found keto pretty easy when I was doing it, never got the keto flu (I was already low carb, but not especially so, around 120 or so, but I did use salt liberally for a while as I was advised that that would help stave it off). I could feel the sluggishness in my running for about 10 days and then it went back to normal.

I stopped because of summer fruit and then corn season (I don't live on a farm, but get a farm box, and have to use what I have, and plus I love summer fruit). I might do it again in late fall or winter, not sure.

Nice of you to support your friend and perhaps it will really catch on with him and he'll do well with it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    HeidiGrrrl wrote: »
    Atkins is high protein, moderate fat and low carb. Keto is high fat, moderate protein and very low carb. Protein can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis, thus triggering the insulin response, which is the mechanism by which we gain weight (insulin is the fat-storing hormone, which is why carbs are bad for you--ignore the other poster, for they know not of what they speak, having been indoctrinated in the false narrative put forth by the sugar industry and our own US government, having silenced the actual science behind them all in favor of the Almighty Dollar). Atkins allows certain foods, which keto does not. There are plenty of sources on the internet you can research to find out exactly how to do it and do it correctly.

Lol. No. Nothing you say has been scientifically backed up.
  • Marrlee747
    Marrlee747 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I heard about keto for years, and didn't buy it, but after watching a friend lose a lot of weight, I decided that I'd tried everything else, and started reading up on it. I'm now three months in, and it already appears to have made a dramatic difference in my health (though the jury's not completely in, I go for a follow up blood panel at the end of this month, having done a "before" panel). I will say that of course this way of eating isn't for everyone. I used to be a vegetarian, but my body just hated it. I felt horrible. It wasn't for me. Keto is working very well for me. It may or may not work for you, but it's worth a fair look. One thing I noticed is that a LOT of people do it wrong, and eat nothing but fatty meats and cheese. Actually, some people find that they need to eliminate dairy entirely. Most don't. Here's my honest personal experience so far:
    • I'm actually eating way more veggies than I did when I was eating "normal."
    • I've lost 16 pounds so far.
    • I've stopped snoring.
    • I no longer have an "afternoon slump."
    • I am no longer ravenous in the mornings, and now have a dramatically different relationship with food, viewing it much more as fuel, though I still love food and eat very well.
    • I never get that "oh god, too full" feeling after a meal.
    • I have completely stopped binging, and my sweet tooth is GONE.
    • I had a LOT of GI issues for the past several years, and those are completely gone.
    • My skin's better than it's been in years.
    • My joints have stopped aching.
    • I have a lot more energy than I did.
    • Even my allergies have improved (I usually am in hell this time of year).

Honestly, I feel almost a decade younger. I suspect that I may have low-level allergies to corn or wheat or rice, and was in a constant state of inflammation before. My only regret is that I didn't try this years ago when I first heard about it (well, and I do miss beer, but luckily, I love whiskey!). So for me, unless something truly dramatic shows up in my blood tests, I think I'm keto/low carb for life. There's an excellent podcast called 2 Keto Dudes that has lots of information, and Reddit has a ton of information on r/keto and r/ketoscience, and r/xxketo is full of tips specifically for women. There's bad info in there as well, but if you read deeply, you can spot the errors right away.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Marrlee747 wrote: »
    I heard about keto for years, and didn't buy it, but after watching a friend lose a lot of weight, I decided that I'd tried everything else, and started reading up on it. I'm now three months in, and it already appears to have made a dramatic difference in my health (though the jury's not completely in, I go for a follow up blood panel at the end of this month, having done a "before" panel). I will say that of course this way of eating isn't for everyone. I used to be a vegetarian, but my body just hated it. I felt horrible. It wasn't for me. Keto is working very well for me. It may or may not work for you, but it's worth a fair look. One thing I noticed is that a LOT of people do it wrong, and eat nothing but fatty meats and cheese. Actually, some people find that they need to eliminate dairy entirely. Most don't. Here's my honest personal experience so far:
    • I'm actually eating way more veggies than I did when I was eating "normal."
    • I've lost 16 pounds so far.
    • I've stopped snoring.
    • I no longer have an "afternoon slump."
    • I am no longer ravenous in the mornings, and now have a dramatically different relationship with food, viewing it much more as fuel, though I still love food and eat very well.
    • I never get that "oh god, too full" feeling after a meal.
    • I have completely stopped binging, and my sweet tooth is GONE.
    • I had a LOT of GI issues for the past several years, and those are completely gone.
    • My skin's better than it's been in years.
    • My joints have stopped aching.
    • I have a lot more energy than I did.
    • Even my allergies have improved (I usually am in hell this time of year).

Honestly, I feel almost a decade younger. I suspect that I may have low-level allergies to corn or wheat or rice, and was in a constant state of inflammation before. My only regret is that I didn't try this years ago when I first heard about it (well, and I do miss beer, but luckily, I love whiskey!). So for me, unless something truly dramatic shows up in my blood tests, I think I'm keto/low carb for life. There's an excellent podcast called 2 Keto Dudes that has lots of information, and Reddit has a ton of information on r/keto and r/ketoscience, and r/xxketo is full of tips specifically for women. There's bad info in there as well, but if you read deeply, you can spot the errors right away.

with keto its high fat, so if someone wants to eat fatty meats and cheese that is fine, they can still lose weight if in a caloric deficit. and if you love whiskey how can you drink it if you have a corn/wheat allergy? depending on type many whiskeys are made from those things.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    HeidiGrrrl wrote: »
    Atkins is high protein, moderate fat and low carb. Keto is high fat, moderate protein and very low carb. Protein can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis, thus triggering the insulin response, which is the mechanism by which we gain weight (insulin is the fat-storing hormone, which is why carbs are bad for you--ignore the other poster, for they know not of what they speak, having been indoctrinated in the false narrative put forth by the sugar industry and our own US government, having silenced the actual science behind them all in favor of the Almighty Dollar). Atkins allows certain foods, which keto does not. There are plenty of sources on the internet you can research to find out exactly how to do it and do it correctly.

Let me see if I understand you. If someone were to eat a high carb diet, yet maintain a calorie deficit, they would not lose weight due to the fat-storing properties of carbs?

Oh noooes! I'm a statistical outlier! :s
    I've lost all the weight I wanted to lose by eating a fairly high carb diet, about 60% mostly. Why? Because I like carb and cannot digest and pull energy out of fats well. Of course I didn't only eat snacks as they hardly keep me full but a varied diet with lots of fresh stuff. Yummy!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have a friend that is going through some rough times and has put on a lot of weight. He asked me to diet and workout to help him get back at it. I have done Atkins so whats the real difference between KETO & Atkins?

You might as well tell your friend not to worry about "dieting" until he is ready to do him while you do you.
    I don't believe that you can carry someone else.
    Either they are willing to do it for themselves and by themselves, or they aren't.
    They will know when they're ready.