Starting KETO to help a friend

I have a friend that is going through some rough times and has put on a lot of weight. He asked me to diet and workout to help him get back at it. I have done Atkins so whats the real difference between KETO & Atkins?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Keto is one of many ways to achieve a calorie deficit. Works great for people who are satiated by fat and won't miss carbs. Since satiety is very individual, your friend is asking a lot of you to adopt his way of eating. You wouldn't be a bad friend by declining, and you could refer him here to the Low Carb group, which I imagine includes lots of Ketoers. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

However, if you liked Atkins and want to give Keto a shot, see the above group for more. In a nutshell, while they are both low carb, Keto is high fat and Atkins is high protein.
  • llhanp04
    llhanp04 Posts: 1 Member
    5 days into Keto. I chose Keto because sugar is a major problem for me. Definitely not hungry! Down almost 5 pounds. Managing my sweet tooth by using Mio flavoring in a couple of glassesof water per day.
    Breakfast is a challenge. Already tiring of sausage, bacon, & eggs. May try keto muffins this weekend if I can find Swerve locally. Best of luck!
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    edited August 2017
    You don't need to do either keto or Atkins to lose weight.

It's all about eating less calories than you burn in a day, regardless of what foods those calories come from.

That didn't answer his question at all. And for some, Keto is the best way to keep calories in check without feeling hungry all day or bingeing.

I read on another site that the difference is:

Atkins = high fat - high protein - low carb.
    Ketogenic = high fat - moderate protein - low carb.
    Paleo = high fat - grain free - dairy free - low carb - moderate protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Let me see if I understand you. If someone were to eat a high carb diet, yet maintain a calorie deficit, they would not lose weight due to the fat-storing properties of carbs?

Depends on the individual's ability to store / use carbs.

Some people can't lose weight while maintaining a calorie deficit on the traditional American diet, which typically includes high carbs / sugars.

For myself, I found that by maintaining a moderate calorie deficit while restricting sugar and carbs and increasing my protein and fat, I lost weight, inches and body fat. But, that's just my personal experience.

I would find a hard time maintaining a calorie deficit on the SAD because it wouldn't satiate me, and I am free to eat more food.

However, in a laboratory (or prison) situation where access to food was controlled, everyone would lose weight in a calorie deficit no matter what they were fed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment#Goals_and_methods

...Their meals were composed of foods that were expected to typify the diets of people in Europe during the latter stages of the war: potatoes, rutabagas, turnips, bread and macaroni.

Capture35-573x600.png
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    You don't need to do either keto or Atkins to lose weight.

It's all about eating less calories than you burn in a day, regardless of what foods those calories come from.

This^. If a keto diet is preferred, fine. But it is not a necessity for weight loss. There has never been a study or a meta-analysis that has shown a metabolic advantage for keto over calorie reduction.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    A ketogenic diet is simply a diet that limits carbs enough that one is in ketosis all the time - usually under 20-50g but active individuals who time thier carbs around exercise may be able to go higher.

The old Atkins was higher protein and very low carbs; I believe it discouraged dairy too. The New Atkins is not as high in protein nor does it go as low in carbs. It's Phase 1/induction is a ketogenic diet. You start with 2 weeks of very low carb and then have the option to continue it a while or start adding in more carbs of the more nutritious variety.

Ketosis is a macro count. Atkins is based on certain foods that will give you different macro amounts depending on what phase you are in. Atkins will limit some some foods whereas ketosis can be approached as a IIFYM sort of diet - technically you could eat bread if you wanted to, but it won't be much, and it will displace more nutritious carbs.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited August 2017
    ditto what most of those above have said. Changing your diet (other than meals you eat together) is kind of an absurd request. If the friend has moderation or portioning issues with starchy foods (not uncommon), then keto/low carb/Atkins/.. might be helpful (especially if they don't want to bother weighing & logging food..as far as I can tell, most Americans have no idea what a single-ish sized portion of pasta/cereal/rice looks like). If those portioning/moderation problems apply to meat & dairy, then it might not work.

ETA: cutting out just the calorie-dense starch items is probably a better idea to start with (assuming they haven't tried that)(It might be a challenge enough on its own) then going 100% keto.
  • tiffaninghs
    tiffaninghs Posts: 200 Member
    my profile pic is because of keto/high fat. im now high carb because im vegan and i can only maintain barely lose.. thats awesome that ur helping out ur friend
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Atkins induction is basically keto. Does your friend have some prescribed keto program that the doctor is recommending, or just aiming for low carb, high fat?
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    my profile pic is because of keto/high fat. im now high carb because im vegan and i can only maintain barely lose.. thats awesome that ur helping out ur friend

Good for you achieving what you did. You look great!!!!

lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Atkins induction is basically keto. Does your friend have some prescribed keto program that the doctor is recommending, or just aiming for low carb, high fat?

He works at a hospital and the cardiologist ran some tests on him and suggested keto for his weight loss and for overall health.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Good for you achieving what you did. You look great!!!!

lemurcat12 wrote: »

He works at a hospital and the cardiologist ran some tests on him and suggested keto for his weight loss and for overall health.

Oh, I understood that from your prior post, just wondering if the doctor gave him a specific kind of keto plan (which may or may not be like Atkins) or just said do keto (which is more flexible, as it's really just eat a reasonable amount of protein for your size, less than 50 net carbs (some say less), the rest fat).