Terrified of Big Butt

Options
So my major goal here is to get smaller thighs, smaller butt, and thinner arms. Losing a couple of kg would be great but I'm good if I don't. I workout with Fitness Blender and I love it! But...I don't want a butt like Kelli's (the trainer). I'm trying to focus on bodyweight strength training and pilates, but isn't this also what people do to get a bigger butt? Should I keep doing these workouts, knowing they got Kelli that butt I'm terrified of getting? I don't use any weights, so am I "safe" because of this?

Replies

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    If there is one thing I know it's that you cannot have targeted weight loss. Also, you cannot really "tone" an area - the shape of that area is its natural shape, but with the more BF you lose the more it will show.

Further, your genetics play a VERY large part in how your weight is distributed and you really can't change that. If you naturally hold more in your hips/butt then you likely always will, and it will be in those proportions no matter what you weigh or what you size is. You can continue to lose weight, but targeted loss isn't a thing and these "toning" exercises won't always give the desired results.

PS - those exercises didn't give this woman her butt; she likely always had a larger butt that wasn't proportionate so exercising might have enhanced it but it didn't give her that butt.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Pretty much want to do the opposite of what I do ! Progressive lifting, lots of glute work, bulk cycles.. those things I would stay away from if you don't want huge glutes. You can still build/maintain with bodyweight work if you are progressing. You will not grow huge muscles by accident.

Do you want to maintain what you have or do you want to atrophy the muscle. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend you lose muscle (because muscle is awesome, helps you better perform, keeps you healthy and strong, and the posterior chain is very important as you age to help with back problems etc) what will happen if you don't maintain the muscle or try to lose it, your glutes will flatten and sag rather than be round and small.. so if that's what you want then I would limit or stay away from most glute work and stick to upper body work and cardio.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have kind of a small frame, and I feel weird having a big butt. It's not the end of the world, but I find myself wearing long shirts to hide it. I guess I'm naturally shaped like this, but I was wondering if exercises like lunges, squats and other stuff she does would make it bigger, since I'm working those muscles. She says she only does FB workouts, so that's how she developed it. But she uses weights, and I don't. And I have some fat to burn, that's why I want to do these workouts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    She trained to have a shapely butt. I don't think it is big so this is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

o_415_our-own-before-and-after.jpg

"big" is a subjective term...I know lots of woman who don't like that look...to each their own.

OP you won't grow your butt unless you try...

To get a bigger butt you actually have to gain muscle and to do that means eating more and working that area a lot...with a progressive load lifting program...none of which you are doing so again..no worries.

• sardelsa
    Options
    susanayt97 wrote: »
    I have kind of a small frame, and I feel weird having a big butt. It's not the end of the world, but I find myself wearing long shirts to hide it. I guess I'm naturally shaped like this, but I was wondering if exercises like lunges, squats and other stuff she does would make it bigger, since I'm working those muscles. She says she only does FB workouts, so that's how she developed it. But she uses weights, and I don't. And I have some fat to burn, that's why I want to do these workouts.

They won't necessarily make it bigger, but they will maintain the underlying muscle you have so it will look more perky and round as you lose.
  • susanayt97
    Options
    Thanks guys! I guess I will continue my workouts (focus on lower body is twice a week, for a total of 50 minutes max). I don't eat at maintenance for now, and I do hear it is hard for women to develop muscle, so I'll try not to worry about it :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Models can lose to make their butts look bigger. Take a closer look!.
    Anyway I don't know what there is to be TERRIFIED about!
  • susanayt97
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Models can lose to make their butts look bigger. Take a closer look!.
    Anyway I don't know what there is to be TERRIFIED about!

I don't know, I just hate getting attention and maybe a big butt will get some?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

It's not just going to happen overnight...you would have to train specifically for it and it will take a long time and you could stop anytime you want and do something else...beyond that, you may not even have the genetics for it.

I lift all kinds of weights and I will never look like Arnold...I don't train to look like Arnold, nor do I have the genetics to look like Arnold.

I'd wager that Kelli did more to build her booty (which I personally don't find to be big) than the fitness blender stuff...

And if you're really that worried about it, do something else...
  • lisa2113940
    lisa2113940 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    If there is one thing I know it's that you cannot have targeted weight loss. Also, you cannot really "tone" an area - the shape of that area is its natural shape, but with the more BF you lose the more it will show.

Further, your genetics play a VERY large part in how your weight is distributed and you really can't change that. If you naturally hold more in your hips/butt then you likely always will, and it will be in those proportions no matter what you weigh or what you size is. You can continue to lose weight, but targeted loss isn't a thing and these "toning" exercises won't always give the desired results.

PS - those exercises didn't give this woman her butt; she likely always had a larger butt that wasn't proportionate so exercising might have enhanced it but it didn't give her that butt.

I think OP is worried about getting a big butt as in developed glutes, not increased fat. The trainer in the picture I saw definitely got her butt from working out her glutes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I think OP is worried about getting a big butt as in developed glutes, not increased fat. The trainer in the picture I saw definitely got her butt from working out her glutes.

She also has great genetics...
  • susanayt97
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I got genetics, for sure! I already have the butt, trying to get rid of it or not making it bigger!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Kelli used to be overweight - she has a video about it. She worked hard to look the way she does now!
  • sardelsa
    Options

I got genetics, for sure! I already have the butt, trying to get rid of it or not making it bigger!

Yea then I would try to avoid doing too much progression (bodyweight or otherwise) in the lower body. Doing lower body work in the form of cardio/plyometrics/intervals should be fine. And if you notice it getting too big for your liking, you can always change what you are doing.

Oh and I'll gladly take all the glutes you don't want.. thanks ;)
  • susanayt97
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yea then I would try to avoid doing too much progression (bodyweight or otherwise) in the lower body. Doing lower body work in the form of cardio/plyometrics/intervals should be fine. And if you notice it getting too big for your liking, you can always change what you are doing.

Oh and I'll gladly take all the glutes you don't want.. thanks ;)

Haha I wish I could give them to you! It is sad how we're always complaining about what we have, while others wish they had it
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Kelli has talked about this change. She was a cardio bunny with disordered eating. That's what made her look the way she did in the before picture. In the last few years she has sorted out her relationship with food and of course now trains entirely differently.

I guess one way to minimise the rounding of the butt (which, as others have said, will be dang hard with the genetics for it let alone without them) would be to just do bodyweight for the butt specific work.

Personally, I'd rather have a slightly larger but shapely rear then a flat one and above all I just want to be strong and capable whatever that does to my butt. To each their own though, we all have preferred aesthetics.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Ive always had a big butt and lifted weights and do body weight exercises. sure I lost fat from it and what not. but I still have a bubble but. so for me mine is genetics and wont get a whole lot smaller.I used to cover mine up too with long shirts but I noticed as I lost weight the bigger shirts just made me look bigger, so I went with shirts that fit(not tight but fit) and I look more proportionate as compared to before.lifting has made my butt a little less droopy but its still round. you just have to accept thats its something you cant change.and the older you get if you dont maintain that muscle the more things will droop and head south lol.