Terrified of Big Butt

Options
2»

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    She trained to have a shapely butt. I don't think it is big so this is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

o_415_our-own-before-and-after.jpg

Hmm. I'm not convinced that the second image is legit. It looks like it's been photoshopped, or she's had implants, or she's standing at a very peculiar angle.
  • susanayt97
    susanayt97 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Kelli has talked about this change. She was a cardio bunny with disordered eating. That's what made her look the way she did in the before picture. In the last few years she has sorted out her relationship with food and of course now trains entirely differently.

I guess one way to minimise the rounding of the butt (which, as others have said, will be dang hard with the genetics for it let alone without them) would be to just do bodyweight for the butt specific work.

Personally, I'd rather have a slightly larger but shapely rear then a flat one and above all I just want to be strong and capable whatever that does to my butt. To each their own though, we all have preferred aesthetics.

Yeah, I'm familiar with her story!
    I'm very focused on being strong right now, but I'm even more focused on being comfortable on my own skin. That means no big butt. But if I see that there's nothing I can do about it, of course I'll just accept it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    If there is one thing I know it's that you cannot have targeted weight loss. Also, you cannot really "tone" an area - the shape of that area is its natural shape, but with the more BF you lose the more it will show.

Further, your genetics play a VERY large part in how your weight is distributed and you really can't change that. If you naturally hold more in your hips/butt then you likely always will, and it will be in those proportions no matter what you weigh or what you size is. You can continue to lose weight, but targeted loss isn't a thing and these "toning" exercises won't always give the desired results.

PS - those exercises didn't give this woman her butt; she likely always had a larger butt that wasn't proportionate so exercising might have enhanced it but it didn't give her that butt.

I think OP is worried about getting a big butt as in developed glutes, not increased fat. The trainer in the picture I saw definitely got her butt from working out her glutes.

She also has great genetics...

Kelli used to be overweight - she has a video about it. She worked hard to look the way she does now!

yes she did...but it doesn't negate genetics.

I work hard in the gym...I will never look like a competitive bodybuilder because I don't have those genetics. I'm a really good sprinter and am good with explosive movements...I work hard at them, but I'm also genetically predisposed...my parents figured that out when I was in 1st grade and put me in track and field in the 2nd grade through my senior year in high school...

I work very hard at long distance endurance and I'm decent...I will never be as good as someone who is genetically predisposed to be an endurance athlete...my wife for example is a very gifted endurance athlete...she trains hard, but has the added bonus of kick *kitten* genetics in that regard...I train just as hard...not even close to her level of endurance...
  • susanayt97
    Options
    susanayt97 wrote: »
    If there is one thing I know it's that you cannot have targeted weight loss. Also, you cannot really "tone" an area - the shape of that area is its natural shape, but with the more BF you lose the more it will show.

Further, your genetics play a VERY large part in how your weight is distributed and you really can't change that. If you naturally hold more in your hips/butt then you likely always will, and it will be in those proportions no matter what you weigh or what you size is. You can continue to lose weight, but targeted loss isn't a thing and these "toning" exercises won't always give the desired results.

PS - those exercises didn't give this woman her butt; she likely always had a larger butt that wasn't proportionate so exercising might have enhanced it but it didn't give her that butt.

I think OP is worried about getting a big butt as in developed glutes, not increased fat. The trainer in the picture I saw definitely got her butt from working out her glutes.

I got genetics, for sure! I already have the butt, trying to get rid of it or not making it bigger!

Ive always had a big butt and lifted weights and do body weight exercises. sure I lost fat from it and what not. but I still have a bubble but. so for me mine is genetics and wont get a whole lot smaller.I used to cover mine up too with long shirts but I noticed as I lost weight the bigger shirts just made me look bigger, so I went with shirts that fit(not tight but fit) and I look more proportionate as compared to before.lifting has made my butt a little less droopy but its still round. you just have to accept thats its something you cant change.and the older you get if you dont maintain that muscle the more things will droop and head south lol.

Yeah, big shirts aren't really doing much for me either. I definitely don't want to do any damage to my muscles.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I got genetics, for sure! I already have the butt, trying to get rid of it or not making it bigger!

Then why are you doing a glute focused program?
  • susanayt97
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    She trained to have a shapely butt. I don't think it is big so this is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

o_415_our-own-before-and-after.jpg

Hmm. I'm not convinced that the second image is legit. It looks like it's been photoshopped, or she's had implants, or she's standing at a very peculiar angle.

Oh it's legit! Just watch a video!
  • susanayt97
    Options

Because I don't want to just work my upper body, I'm focused on all of it. And I have fat to burn on my thighs (and butt), if I'm sitting down all day I don't think it will go where I want.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Because I don't want to just work my upper body, I'm focused on all of it. And I have fat to burn on my thighs (and butt), if I'm sitting down all day I don't think it will go where I want.

Just to point out, the exercise you do on the lower body won't actually burn fat specific where you want it to.. what it will do is help preserve the muscles in those areas so when you lose fat (eventually from where you want it to), the muscle will remain and make you look more defined/toned/not soft.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

You can't spot reduce fat with specific exercise movements...working your thighs and butt isn't going to burn fat from those areas...you burn fat from all over with a calorie deficit, not some specific movement...

There are a lot of full body programs that aren't glute focused....I know nothing about the program, but it sounds as if it's rather glute focused...much like StrongCurves, where the point is increasing muscle mass in those areas and building bigger curves.
  • susanayt97
    Options
    Oh I see! I know you can't spot reduce, but I assumed that if I worked those specific muscles, it would help burn the fat sitting on top of it. I guess I'll leave my glutes alone then.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Oh I see! I know you can't spot reduce, but I assumed that if I worked those specific muscles, it would help burn the fat sitting on top of it. I guess I'll leave my glutes alone then.

Yeah, no...that's not how it works...the muscle can't burn the fat that is sitting on top of it. For subcutaneous fat to be utilized for energy it must be converted to triglycerides and sent into the blood stream. When you're dieting, your body takes fat from all over.

A calorie is a unit of energy. We all require XXXX amount of energy per day to maintain the status quot...this is variable as per stats and activity. When we consume more energy than we need, that energy is stored as body fat...it's stored energy...basically your backup generator. When you consume less energy than you require, that difference has to be reconciled...this is when your backup generator kicks on and burns fat for energy...but you can't pick and choose where that fat comes from.

• susanayt97
    Options
    Thank you for your time guys!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

You can't spot reduce fat with specific exercise movements...working your thighs and butt isn't going to burn fat from those areas...you burn fat from all over with a calorie deficit, not some specific movement...

There are a lot of full body programs that aren't glute focused....I know nothing about the program, but it sounds as if it's rather glute focused...much like StrongCurves, where the point is increasing muscle mass in those areas and building bigger curves.

It's not. It just cycles through various workouts to target the whole body much like any generic scheduling. It's not female specific or goal specific largely. Kelli just happens to have a very nice, round *kitten*!
  • cwolfman13
    edited August 2017
    Options

It's not. It just cycles through various workouts to target the whole body much like any generic scheduling. It's not female specific or goal specific largely. Kelli just happens to have a very nice, round *kitten*!

Oh...well, the OP should be just fine then.

I suggested earlier the Kelli most likely did more than this DVD to get glutes like she has...The ladies I know who have glutes like that do a lot of glute specific training, not a lunge or squat here and there...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Oh...well, the OP should be just fine then.

I suggested earlier the Kelli most likely did more than this DVD to get glutes like she has...The ladies I know who have glutes like that do a lot of glute specific training, not a lunge or squat here and there...

She just does the FB workouts, it's really down to genetics for the most part. She has also put on about 5 or 6lbs I think it is over two or three years while strength training. So not specific training at all. Just her body and its natural response over time to recomp.