September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Non-running check in:

Today I went and played Road Marshall for Summerfest 12K. They assigned me to the last driveway before the final turn to the finish line, so I could hear the announcer, see the start of the 5K and 12K, see the 5K leaders come in, and see all of the 12K runners with less than a quarter mile left to run. I was also just about at the top of the last hill in a 12K race of all rolling hills. (No, it wasn't flat to the finish; there's a sharp downhill on a gravel road for the finish.)

It was near perfect running weather, a bit cool for standing around. I wore a jacket and gloves, and really needed the gloves. I would have run in shorts and a tee, maybe with light running gloves, if I had been running today. Both races started right on time by my Garmin watch at 9:00 and 9:10. If I had been healthy, I could have been competitive with the overall winner of the 5K or competitive with the 3rd and 4th place finishers of the 12K.

Of course, if I were healthy I still would have played Road Marshall because I'd be running a half marathon tomorrow.

Being a road marshall late in the course is a bit different view of a race than I usually have. I see the leader come through, trailing the pace cyclist. See the 2nd place guy come through. See the runners who are comparable to me or a bit slower. And then I see what late in the race looks like for runners that I never see when I'm racing. Some of them show up in good spirits, obviously with lots of gas left in the tank. Some are really struggling to get up the last hill. Some are giving their all to run up the hill. Many walked to a bit before my position, then started running on the brief level stretch before the final downhill. Late in the race, there were people who walked the entire way. The last participants took over 2 hours to cover 12K (about 7.45 miles).

I left the boot at home. I can't drive in it, and I have no taste for hauling it somewhere then changing into it to clump around. Got away with it, by not walking as much as I would have if I were healthy. The PTT didn't like walking uphill, but I babied it along. By the end of my stint, I could tell that the right Achilles is still a bit iffy. So I came home, put the boot on, and had lunch. Now it's up to 68º F (20º C) and it's still sunny with low humidity. I think I'll go mow the lawn. But I'll wear the boot for that. I've done enough testing of life without the boot for today.

Given today's experience, I won't second guess myself about taking a DNS for Oak Tree Half tomorrow. I didn't have to run a step to demonstrate that I'm not yet ready to run again.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    9/1 13.1 miles! 2h:09m:49s
    9/2 3.1mi 31m:56s

Husband and I took the three kiddos out- they rode their bikes while we "ran". The 4 year old is still working on getting faster, but my 6 year old son decided leisurely was the speed to go - lol. We were definitely a sight for sure.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Thank you for making me smile with those awesome pics!! LOVE the leggings!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    2---6.21

6.21/89 miles
    10/144 kilometers

Upcoming races:

Sept 30 Festival 5k Tishomingo Ok.
    Oct 1 Spirit of Survival, Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    Oct 14 AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 34.27 10k 1:12.35
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    September 1 – 0.0 miles Camp Gladiator
    September 2 – 5.5 miles Intervals

Total miles 5.5/100

Upcoming Races:

September 16 – Samoa Challenge (Thin Mint Sprint 5K and a Tagalong Trot 1 mile), Safety Harbor, FL
    October 1 – Ft. DeSoto 5K, Race #1 of the Triple Crown
    October 29 – Ft. DeSoto Halloween 5K, Race #2 of the Triple Crown
    November 18 – Insane Inflatable 5K Obstacle Run, Tampa, FL
    November 19 – St. Pete Runfest Half Marathon
    December 9 – Terrain Race, Tampa, 3-5 miles, 20 obstacles
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I didn't do much today. The In-Laws are in and their youngest son is moving in with me and boyfriend. We went down town for a little walk around, but unfortunately I was also eating jelly beans and the time. We also is a lot of walking around the mall today, but I didn't count that. My fitness ban says I walked 6.8Km today, but I only did 1.9Km of walking downtown.

https://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wQBmRW4/]
    exercise.png
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    A face mask for +19º F? Seriously?

Layering is a key. I'm wearing 3 layers above the waist in this shot. Some experimentation is needed to balance between freezing and drowning in sweat. It helps to have a heated building to enter when you're done running.

The gradual decline in temperature though autumn to early winter is the perfect time to learn to dress for running in cold weather. You figure out how to dress for each 5 or 10 degree decrease in temperature as they happen, and figure out how to adjust for various wind speeds. When you already know how to dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is, the mistakes you make for the current temperature will be smaller than if you have to guess how to dress to run in temperatures 30 or 40 degrees colder than you have before.

No cotton. Everything wickable and breathing, possibly with a water resistant (not waterproof) outermost layer. Wool running socks, which will really be a wool/synthetic blend. They won't keep your feet dry, but they will keep your feet warm in spite of stepping in a puddle of icy water.

Honestly, it is so variable I hesitated to put a number on it. The wind is a huge factor for me as is precipitation. The facemask is built into the shirt so I can pull it up and down as needed. On some runs, I start with it up and take it off later only to put back on during cool down. *shrugs* I have been to 60 F below, but typically I try to avoid that. :smiley:

This though I want to emphasize...

No cotton. Everything wickable and breathing, possibly with a water resistant (not waterproof) outermost layer. Wool running socks, which will really be a wool/synthetic blend. They won't keep your feet dry, but they will keep your feet warm in spite of stepping in a puddle of icy water.

I missed that in my post. Wickable is key as is the wool. Merino wool is awesome.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Goal for Sept is 100 miles

Sept 1.....0 m.......Rest day
    Sept 2.....13.2m...MTD 13.2
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Fall weather, you say? Expected high near 100 here in the valley for the next few days.

Sept 2 -- 3 miles
    Sept total -- 3 miles

Heading to the pool after a nap and lawn mowing.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    2 days in and 6 pages. I'm in for 168+ again.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @r_babin @PastorVincent and @MobyCarp Pretty much nailed it in description. Especially the comment about how to dress for 5-10 degree decrease in temperature. A few of the members in our little club have a Clothing Log at the back of their Running Log. They record what they wore and how they felt, Hot/Warm/chilly at the Start/end of the Run and some basic weather info. Temperature/ Humidity/ Sunny/Cloudy/Wind Spd/direction.
    They then compiled it into a Temperature/Clothing Log.
    One look at the Outside Thermometer/Wind and they flip to the appropriate page and there are the preferred clothing choices based on Their Personnel History.

Runners World has this Page about What to wear.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only/the-newbie-guide-to-running-when-its-cold

This is a link to an old thread but the information is still good. On page 3 there is a Winter Workout Layering Guide. The key word is guide. What I wear at 0 is different than what you will wear.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Layering is a key. /// Some experimentation is needed to balance between freezing and drowning in sweat. It helps to have a heated building to enter when you're done running.

The gradual decline in temperature though autumn to early winter is the perfect time to learn to dress for running in cold weather. You figure out how to dress for each 5 or 10 degree decrease in temperature as they happen, and figure out how to adjust for various wind speeds. When you already know how to dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is, the mistakes you make for the current temperature will be smaller than if you have to guess how to dress to run in temperatures 30 or 40 degrees colder than you have before.

Honestly, it is so variable I hesitated to put a number on it. The wind is a huge factor for me as is precipitation. The facemask is built into the shirt so I can pull it up and down as needed. On some runs, I start with it up and take it off later only to put back on during cool down. *shrugs* I have been to 60 F below, but typically I try to avoid that. :smiley:

This though I want to emphasize...

I missed that in my post. Wickable is key as is the wool. Merino wool is awesome.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    6.5 km Trail Run. I really needed another rest day.
    Run was cut a little short as I got separated from the group, they zagged onto a smaller bush trail and I zigged onto the main trail. When I got to the top of the Hill and left the grass/bush trail I realized that there were no shoe prints in the dust/dirt and had lost the group.
    That's also when I ran into a dog pack, 1 dog not an issue. 2 dogs a little issue. 3 dogs = trouble.
    Figured out which was the Alpha Dog in the Pack as he lead the charge towards me and was always 1- 2 body lengths closer to me than the other dogs. I kept facing him and gently moving towards him talking - telling him to go home - pushing him until he turned and started to run away and the other two followed. 6 minutes stopped with my Head on a swivel keeping track of all 3 dogs, 95% attention on the Alpha. Not really sure if all 3 dogs were from the same property or Neighboring Hounds who packed up. With so many trails available it is the first time on this Trail/Route this year and last year there were no Dogs at this Rural Residence. Decided that was enough fun since the planned route would have taken me around the back side of the property which meant I would probably run into the same pack. Met up with the group after and they never saw the dogs since they were on a slightly different trail.

On a positive note It was a Bush Trail Run which is always enjoyable and my semi official log has me at over 1000km for the year so far B) with a 2nd pair of shoes approaching retirement. Time to go shopping in the closet and watching for shoe sales.
    exercise.png
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Ran 9 miles this morning.
    MTD: 9

Had issues with my new shoes. They've been fine for my 3-5 mile runs. This morning they about killed the ball/pad of both feet. Pain started at mile 7. Wound up walking part of the last mile.

I don't know what to do. I've no money for another pair of shoes. I've had these for 2 weeks and put over 30 miles on them. The store won't want them back. My November race is coming and I need to continue training for it. I don't know what to do.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Had issues with my new shoes. They've been fine for my 3-5 mile runs. This morning they about killed the ball/pad of both feet. Pain started at mile 7. Wound up walking part of the last mile.

I don't know what to do. I've no money for another pair of shoes. I've had these for 2 weeks and put over 30 miles on them. The store won't want them back. My November race is coming and I need to continue training for it. I don't know what to do.

Check your socks. I have found that poor sock choice is often more painful than poor shoe choice.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Had issues with my new shoes.

Check your socks. I have found that poor sock choice is often more painful than poor shoe choice.

I used the fancy socks I bought at the running store. I usually use my thicker Hanes ankle socks. (that the store clerk turned her nose up at) Hmm. Could it be as simple as that? I can hope!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I used the fancy socks I bought at the running store. I usually use my thicker Hanes ankle socks. (that the store clerk turned her nose up at) Hmm. Could it be as simple as that? I can hope!

Yes it can. The only way to know for sure is to try it and see.