September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @Runningmischka My favorite audiobook is The Martian by Andy Weir. You may have even watched the movie, but the book is so much better because of all the inner dialogue that isn't included in the movie. Also the narrator really brings the character to life. It's not a comedy, but you're going to laugh quite a bit!

@anitamistry1 Yeah, I have to be in the mood for audiobooks for that exact reason!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    @Runningmischka My favorite audiobook is The Martian by Andy Weir. You may have even watched the movie, but the book is so much better because of all the inner dialogue that isn't included in the movie. Also the narrator really brings the character to life. It's not a comedy, but you're going to laugh quite a bit!

I did quite a bit of running to that book a couple of years ago. It really helped pass the time and miles.
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options

I did quite a bit of running to that book a couple of years ago. It really helped pass the time and miles.

I know right! I put on a lot of extra miles just because I wasn't ready to stop listening.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Pod, over 100 posts behind. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Ive been down visiting family since Friday night.

Feeling so lazy. On day 3 of not running. Down visiting family and driving home tomorrow. After 4 days off and eating Minnesota State fair food, I'm going to have to really drop thr hammer the rest of September. Adding Fridays back into thr rotation and hoping to add a 50k training run, in addition to my 24 this coming Saturday, and the Ely Marathon on thr 23rd. Feeling a mean mixture of lazy and hugely motivated. Going to try to crush September so i can go into October looking at 3 weeks of recovery and taper mode.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @HonuNui love the pictures!
    @BrianAWeber I don't usually listen to anything while I run, except when I'm forced to run on the treadmill, or when I'm warming up for a race. Secret confession time, my race warm up playlist is "Eye of the Tiger" on repeat :joy: Also, I LOVE The Martian! One of my top 10 books I'd say, though I've never listened to the audio book. May have to check it out!
    @Eaglesfanintn Welcome to the thread!

September Running
    09/01: Off, rest day
    09/02: 4.02 mile easy run + 30 min biking
    09/03: 20.05 mile long run
    Total: 24.07 miles

Notes:
    I can't believe I actually ran 20 miles this morning; it sounds far when I say it, but felt even farther than that! Overall things went really well. Average pace was 9:25, though my last mile was an 8:42 (I was ready to be done!) so that skewed the average a tiny bit. My legs felt pretty good up until ~18.3 miles, when my right hamstring/upper calf started to ache a little. I stopped to give them a quick massage and was able to finish the run without any other problems. I stuck to my fueling strategy and didn't have any GI issues, which is always a plus lol. Only "gear" issue I had was some unexpected chafing on my back from the waistband of my shorts (I think my waistpack was pushing on my shorts, causing them to rub). I didn't notice it at all during the run, but it is stinging a lot now. I'll have to try out some different shorts for my next 20 miler and make sure to apply some glide there to hopefully avoid this in the future! I wanted to take an ice bath after this run, but was too lazy to walk the four blocks to the gas station to buy a bag. It's the ultimate catch-22, you'll only feel up to walking to the gas station to buy ice for an ice bath when you aren't sore/tired enough to need one XD Next time I need to buy the ice in advance!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    - Chicago Marathon, 10/08/17
    - Space Coast Half Marathon, 11/26/17
    - Excalibur 10 Miler, 03/18/18
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,016 Member
    Options
    September goal: 65 miles

9/3: 7.1 miles

7.1/65 miles

First run of September and it was a hot and sweaty one. The weather app said it was 75°F feels like 75, but it felt hotter than that to me. About 2.5 miles in I passed a church with a marquee that says the time and temp and it said 88°F. So it was warming up pretty quickly. I've run when it was much hotter, but I guess since I was expecting it to be cooler it just seemed hotter. Overall it was a good run. The last 1.5 miles was pretty hard, but I got it done. I've noticed that usually between 2 - 5 miles is when I enjoy my run the most.

I've been taking rest days on Monday after my long run on Sunday, and on Friday and Saturday and so far I am liking that schedule. But I think I will probably run tomorrow since I have the day off and it is looking like I won't be able to run on Thursday. I have a crack in my windshield and I have to take my car to the glass place so I won't be able to run at lunch. There is a blood drive that afternoon from 1-5. I won't have time to run after work and also make it to the blood drive and I don't want to run after donating blood.

@BrianAWeber I always listen to music when I run. I try for something really peppy to keep me moving. Sometimes I play Zombies Run too. I've thought about audio books, but I often zone out with the music and I think I might do that with books and then lose my place.

exercise.png

• abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @r_babin @PastorVincent and @MobyCarp Pretty much nailed it in description. Especially the comment about how to dress for 5-10 degree decrease in temperature. A few of the members in our little club have a Clothing Log at the back of their Running Log. They record what they wore and how they felt, Hot/Warm/chilly at the Start/end of the Run and some basic weather info. Temperature/ Humidity/ Sunny/Cloudy/Wind Spd/direction.
    They then compiled it into a Temperature/Clothing Log.
    One look at the Outside Thermometer/Wind and they flip to the appropriate page and there are the preferred clothing choices based on Their Personnel History.

Runners World has this Page about What to wear.
    https://www.runnersworld.com/for-beginners-only/the-newbie-guide-to-running-when-its-cold

This is a link to an old thread but the information is still good. On page 3 there is a Winter Workout Layering Guide. The key word is guide. What I wear at 0 is different than what you will wear.
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Layering is a key. /// Some experimentation is needed to balance between freezing and drowning in sweat. It helps to have a heated building to enter when you're done running.

The gradual decline in temperature though autumn to early winter is the perfect time to learn to dress for running in cold weather. You figure out how to dress for each 5 or 10 degree decrease in temperature as they happen, and figure out how to adjust for various wind speeds. When you already know how to dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is, the mistakes you make for the current temperature will be smaller than if you have to guess how to dress to run in temperatures 30 or 40 degrees colder than you have before.

No cotton. Everything wickable and breathing, possibly with a water resistant (not waterproof) outermost layer. Wool running socks, which will really be a wool/synthetic blend. They won't keep your feet dry, but they will keep your feet warm in spite of stepping in a puddle of icy water.
    Honestly, it is so variable I hesitated to put a number on it. The wind is a huge factor for me as is precipitation. The facemask is built into the shirt so I can pull it up and down as needed. On some runs, I start with it up and take it off later only to put back on during cool down. *shrugs* I have been to 60 F below, but typically I try to avoid that. :smiley:

This though I want to emphasize...

No cotton. Everything wickable and breathing, possibly with a water resistant (not waterproof) outermost layer. Wool running socks, which will really be a wool/synthetic blend. They won't keep your feet dry, but they will keep your feet warm in spite of stepping in a puddle of icy water.

I missed that in my post. Wickable is key as is the wool. Merino wool is awesome.

This is so much great information, I might need to get a face shield for sure. I have asthma, and as the wind picks up this time of year, it might make breathing a little harder. Also I find it harder to breath when it is cold. I will try the face mask, and also try and keep track of what I am wearing and the temperature I am running in. :smiley:
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    9/3- 4.5K, Had a pretty good day. I was up and back from my run before anyone else woke this morning, 2.5km. Then this afternoon we went for a small walk which was another 2Km. It was nice a cool this morning, not cold, I was still able to wear a t-shirt and capris. But I did not get soaked with my own sweat. I kind of want this cool weather to stick around, but I know I should be happy to get a few more warm day in September.

I have decided that I am going to run a 5K in October (15th), so I am going to be training for that this month, and will then experiment with clothing and layering for the colder weather to come.

https://www.TickerFactory.com/exercise/wQBmRW4/]
    exercise.png
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    September 3- 4.3 miles total 4.3

In for a 50 mile goal
    Doing bridge to 10k
    Goal race November 18 Annapolis Running Fest 10k

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @orphia I just went back through the thread. I love your handstand/cartwell. The gal behind you doesn’t look impressed ha ha
    @juliet3455 glad the dogs didn’t give you too much trouble. Wow
    @wandavaughn are you sure the store won’t take the shoes back?
    I do agree with @PastorVincent on the socks
    @bruinsgal_91 how beautiful
    @JessicaMcB ouch!
    @shanaber is that you in your profile pix? Wow girl awesome
    @7lenny7 I’m so sorry.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    09/01/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    09/02/17 :::: 12.0 :::: 12.0
    09/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 15.1
    Goal = 95 miles
    Upcoming races:
    10/1 Wineglass Half Marathon, Corning NY

I guessed wrong twice about the rain stopping - for both my run and walking the dog after. It was kind of spotty but both times managed to hit a bad spot. Poor Stella did not appreciate the downpour or the sprint home.

The run felt pretty good to stretch out the legs as I was pretty sore after the long run yesterday.

I realized I only have two speedwork groups before taper, and the second one I will be traveling. I should try to make that up - maybe I can do a tempo run at my hotel. And two more long runs. I'm a bit torn on what to do. Coach's plan seems to call for a max of 2 hrs 15 min and then it is alternated back to 1 hr 45 min the next week and then repeat that until HM time. I did 12 miles this week in about 2:15 (a little over, very slow for parts) so I'm think I'll cut back to 9-10 next Saturday (3 weeks out) and back up to 12-14 the next (2 weeks out). Last year for my first marathon I never ran more than 11, but in the meantime I've now done a total of 3 half marathons so I know I can finish the distance. So I wonder if it's worth it or not to run 13 or 14 miles? I know it's not necessary, but could it be helpful? Or maybe I should stick to 12 but try to do a little better pace. I will ask my coach but just pondering things as I wrote out my taper calendar.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    ..., I don't hafta match.

I'm the king of wearing navy shirts, black shorts, orange running shoes with red socks.. In the morning at 4:15 i just grab something out of the drawer and off the hanger and get out the door.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    ..., I don't hafta match.

I'm the king of wearing navy shirts, black shorts, orange running shoes with red socks.. In the morning at 4:15 i just grab something out of the drawer and off the hanger and get out the door.

Same here. It's just what I grab in the dark or happen to have in my go run bag.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    That is why all of my stuff is black. I do not have to worry about all this silly matching stuff :smiley:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Enjoy the Trail Running Vacation. I always worry about being the slow one in the Group and holding people up. As members in our little club put it we all have an Avg Pace that is comfortable 90% of the time. On the other 10% we are either in Snail Mode or Rabbit so don't worry about it. Over the course of the Vacation it will all average out and the group will break up into small groups just like a race.
    @Orphia Wins the Virtual award for best Race Photo poses B)
    @JessicaMcB Wins the Virtual First Aid kit for the Nastiest Blister / Visible Running Injury :#
    You should follow your guy up to GP, Don't Get Lost in the Woods, leave with the 8 am HM Walkers and be back in time to leave with the 10k Runners at 9:30 so you could get a modest 32 k of Sand Dune's and Swamp Bush Trails.
    @MNLittleFinn Never heard it described as a mixture of lazy and hugely motivated. So understandable.
    @Elise4270 As a guy I am definitely Guilty of not being matchy/matchy. If it's on sale there is a good chance it's in my closet/dresser. The color doesn't matter. Orange Knee High Smart wool socks( 3pr @ $10.00 ), Blue Asics shorts- 4 pockets - with Lime Green Stripes ( $15.00 ), Black Shirt with one Yellow sleeve and one Fluorescent Forest Green sleeve was thrown in with a blue Tech Shirt. I be a cheap b@stard.

6.5 km Run/Walk up Misery Mountain with Hanke & Jenny from Kelowna. It rained yesterday so all of the planned routes were a Muddy/Sloppy mess or the tall grass was dripping with water. No one else showed up due to an impromptu Beer & BBQ last night - I suspect there were some Skull Cramps this morning - so it was more of a walk/run than a true run. Still a nice morning with some friends.

09/02 6.5 km – 143.5 km - 006.5 km – YTD 1001.07 km East Side Trails
    09/03 6.5 km – 137.0 km - 013.0 km – YTD 1007.57 km Misery Mountain Mud Trails

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    That is why all of my stuff is black. I do not have to worry about all this silly matching stuff :smiley:

But black is not the color I want to run in when it's 90-100°. I have one nice black reflective Nike tank and I don't think I've ever worn it. Maybe when it gets down in the 60-70's I will. :wink: oh and when I get out before sunrise. :tongue:

I think I drew the line last week at a light purple shirt with red-orange shorts and pumpkin orange socks.