September 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    @Dcorrick Thanks! I'll have to check that out.

@MobyCarp I'm glad you were still able to win the Rochester Runner of the year for your age group. The injury sucks bad enough, but at least it didn't knock you out of something you had been working all year for.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp winning RROY for your AG is pretty darn great. Still winning after missing the last race due to injury shows just how well you did while healthy. I'm hoping that that nominal 1 mile goal for the month you have gets surpassed by a bunch. You're a great inspiration to a lot of us!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    Sorry all for the long post - I am finally catching up and commenting!
    @ddmom0811 - I think it is so awesome that they offer AP Computer Science classes! I am sure they probably had some when my daughter was in HS but with both parent in IT she wanted No part of it but took pretty much as many others as she could fit in.
    @juliet3455 - I worry even with 2+ dogs on leash. They will often be much more defensive and go after Hobbes the Vizsla. I am so glad you were not chased and that they did turn and go home. Awesome that you are over 1000km for the year and now in need of new running shoes!
    @WandaVaughn - Most running/sporting goods stores have return policies that will allow you to return them, even if worn within a period of time (30 days is typical). If changing socks doesn't work I would call the store and see what the return/exchange policy is. Also if something works for you don't change just because a clerk thinks you need something different. They can make a suggestion and offer a reason to change and you can decide if you think it will help you.
    Welcome back to the group @ariceroni , @ROBOTFOOD and @OSUbuckeye906
    @Orphia - love your pictures! The handstand/cartwheel is awesome. Are you going to post a recap of your race or did you already and I missed it?
    @lporter229 - I too think maybe you could say something to the RD but he may want to recruit you to help organize for next year. :smiley:
    @BrianAWeber - I too listen only to music. I have tried podcasts but I also drift and then get lost and have to start them over. With the music it is there when I need it and I usually sing along mostly out loud because it lets people know I am coming up behind them :smile:
    @skippygirlsmom - yep that is me in the picture, thanks! My trainer took the picture to show me how my arms look!
    @elise4270 - love your new running gear! I am not sure who first posted about the Steigen socks (@orphia maybe?) but they are really great. I ordered mine in Amazon and they came from Canada! Wish I could find them locally in a store! I do typically like to match and get grief about it at the gym. I also have a number of black tops that I run in all the time - the heat is not an issue because they are sleeveless, wicking and airy. The only time I won't wear them is to run in the dark - I wear only bright colors then so I can be seen. How was Twisted Root Burgers? There is one in DFW now and I almost tried it before my flight last week and decided to just wait until I got home to eat...
    @_nikkiwolf_ - I would love to do a running camp/vacation but I am sure I would be too old and way too slow. Maybe there is one for 'older' runners :smiley:
    @RespectTheKitty - So happy to see you checking in and love the '8 Ways to piss off a runner'! I can relate to so many of them and they made me laugh out loud multiple times! Especially #3 don't poke the snake! Now if only I could get the folks at work to understand not to bug me until I have run!!

Got out today for a long run. I was initially worried it would be too hot but the heat was not as much of an issue as the humidity. This was the first time I have really experienced the drenched, all over sweatiness of a truly humid run. Sweat was dripping off my hat, running off my shorts down my legs and into my shoes until they squished and at one point I actually had to wring out my shirt and this in an area that is typically pretty dry.

Date........Miles.......Total
    09/01......5.27........5.27
    09/02......0.00........5.27 - + Agility trial
    09/03......3.77........9.04 - Treadmill + Agility trial
    09/04....10.28......19.32

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon

10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run
    12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/04/18 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I just ran while listening to a "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" podcast. I like to listen to those because they are funny and keep me motivated to listen to the whole thing. I'm sure I sometimes seem insane laughing as I run. Otherwise I tend to listen to songs on spotify. I really only have 2 playlists - everything I've ever saved and "runing" which just cuts out some of the slower and sadder ones.

I've done a few audiobooks when I run on the treadmill in the winter. Running outside I find it too hard to concentrate on the story.

@MobyCarp congrats on Rochester Runner of the Year in your AG!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    09/01/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    09/02/17 :::: 12.0 :::: 12.0
    09/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 15.1
    09/04/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 18.4

It warmed up quite a bit but there was a nice breeze so the late afternoon run was okay. Glad to get it done and be all showered and relaxed for the evening. Bit of a panic when I realized I only have a 3-day work week due to travel so I better get myself in gear tomorrow. But that's tomorrow, for now I'm having an apricot wheat beer and putting my feet up.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Hi guys :)

I'm still running but taking a much needed "goal break." No mileage goal this month, just get out there and run when I can. Saturday was 8 miles, yesterday 5 miles, today 10 miles.

Hope everyone is doing well.

with how you're cruching iot, I don't think you need a mileage goal.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

Cute, but some of them miss the mark for me. In particular, the jeans must be a female thing; I can buy jeans off the shelf, same size Wranglers I wore in high school. The injured runners stuff, though . . . let's not look at my reality right now.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Cute, but some of them miss the mark for me. In particular, the jeans must be a female thing; I can buy jeans off the shelf, same size Wranglers I wore in high school. The injured runners stuff, though . . . let's not look at my reality right now.

the jean thing comes into play for me with straight leg jeans. I can only buy relaxed fit jeans if I'm getting them from Old Navy or some other places, and I often have to go online to get a 28 waist that's relaxed fit.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber thanks for confirming the black tanks are still cool. Ill be sure to wear it this week. The twisted root burger was good. I had a buffalo burger. I wanted the wagyu but they were out.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    2---6.21
    4---6.21 too dang hot, probably worst run ever.

12.42/89 miles
    20/144 kilometers

Upcoming races:

Sept 30 Festival 5k Tishomingo Ok.
    Oct 1 Spirit of Survival, Lawton OK. Quarter Marathon
    Oct 14 AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 34.27 10k 1:12.35
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    As for what I listen to while I run: I just finished "Alloy of Law" by Branden Sanderson (From the Mist born series, probably the best fantasy series by a modern I have ever read - and I write fantasy. :) )

I am starting Wrinkle in Time because my son has to do a report on it. Figure I can at least have some exposure to it in case he needs help. I read it many decades ago, but do not recall much now.

@amymoreorless @girlinahat : Forgot about Libraries. I live near a large city so we probably have one. I should check in to that. I go through audiobooks like candy. Be good to have a source for when I am out of credits at Audible.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I use my local library too! The newish book selection isn't huge, but there are plenty of books to listen to.

I've just started watching Game of Thones, yes it takes me years to jump on trends - lol. I've got the audio book on hold. Mostly I listen to James Patterson - they are pretty easy to listen to even if I zone out.

I really don't think I could make it through my long runs without audio books!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    As for what I listen to while I run: I just finished "Alloy of Law" by Branden Sanderson (From the Mist born series, probably the best fantasy series by a modern I have ever read - and I write fantasy. :) )

I am starting Wrinkle in Time because my son has to do a report on it. Figure I can at least have some exposure to it in case he needs help. I read it many decades ago, but do not recall much now.

@amymoreorless @girlinahat : Forgot about Libraries. I live near a large city so we probably have one. I should check in to that. I go through audiobooks like candy. Be good to have a source for when I am out of credits at Audible.

@PastorVincent As an author, you should definitely check out your local public library. We have a local author spotlight shelf in our library. We also have a well attended local author book fair / event every year.

Can you tell I am library fan girl? :)

PS: They are making a movie of A Wrinkle in Time. My favorite childhood book! So excited......!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    9/4 - 2.25 mi walk, 1 mile run (ran whole mile without stopping :p )

@Elise4270 It still feels like 90 here after 7pm! I opted for evening bc this morning was 70 with 96% humidity:( at least only 50% humidity for evening.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Yeah its moreso a women's issue from what I understand of the male runners I know. My waist can wear a 00 Tall (24/36) comfortably but unless they are flare or similar my calves can't get in anything under a 4 :/
  • Elise4270
    Options
    9/4 - 2.25 mi walk, 1 mile run (ran whole mile without stopping :p )

@Elise4270 It still feels like 90 here after 7pm! I opted for evening bc this morning was 70 with 96% humidity:( at least only 50% humidity for evening.

It was 95 today when I got out. I have no clue why I'm not acclimated yet. I was heat sick. And allergies are horrible, my ears are so stuffy. Just a miserable run. 50° tomorrow you say? Be 60 here.

Dontcha just hate that hard kitten run after your runs have been so enjoyable?