When will people recognise my weight loss

Options
1235»

Replies

• impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you can't trust your scale to give you accurate numbers then you need a new one. In the meantime, take your measurements. That will help you keep an eye on things without needing to rely on other people's flawed perceptions.

• athenagreece3546
    athenagreece3546 Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Gongrats on your weigjt loss first of all.
    People typically will notice a 10 kilo weight loss, however it all depends on how much weight you have to lose.
    The more overweight you are, the more weight you need to lose for people to notice, especially if you are already wearing loose clothes.
    Get a paper measuring tape and start recording how many inches you are losing from arms, waist, legs etc.
    You will know exactly if you are progressing or regressing and where the fat is coming off.
    Good luck to you and never give up.
    It's only weight! You got this!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Took about 20 kgs for people to start noticing, and 50 kgs for random people in the street and cashiers to randomly stop me and ask.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I lost almost 50 pounds before anyone said anything to me about it, and the person who first did (this girl in HR I despise) was the last person I would of expected. A couple of the guys that work in my department have since told me that they did indeed notice but they did not want to bring it up as they felt it was sort of an awkward subject.

Eventually it became an almost impossible subject to avoid amongst anyone around me frequently. For people that have not seen me in awhile, they are visibly shocked when they first lay eyes on me. When I know I am about to meet up with someone where this reaction is bound to happen, I have even come up with several smart azz answers so they don’t nag me about it. For example, “yeah, well, I have just developed a pretty serious coke habit is all”, or something similarly dismissive. Most get the idea that I would rather not discuss it. It gets old after awhile. I lost the weight to be treated "normal", not to be treated like a guest on Dr. Phil. I much prefer to be around people who never knew me when I was fat much of the time.
  • CutieGirl79
    CutieGirl79 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm down 20lbs and people started to comment on how I looked thinner. In side by side photos, not a huge difference, just look a little less bloated. But I'm starting to feel better, and that's what counts!
  • kmr0293
    kmr0293 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    and yet every day there are posts on here about how rude it is when people mention other's weight... and that if someone says 'wow, you lost weight' do they really mean 'you used to be such a fatty before'

you can't have it both ways!

You said a mouth full here.
  • kmr0293
    kmr0293 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I went from 312 lbs to 175 lbs before anyone noticed. Or at least said anything. The barista at Starbucks noticed first with me.
  • oehlers
    oehlers Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't worry about what others think. And I know everyone will have different opinions about this but I tend to share with those around me that I'm on a diet and my progress. I want my coworkers to know not to tempt me with goodies and to support me when I am making healthy choices. It also helps to keep me accountable.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've lost 1 stone (of 3) and only one person has noticed! It will happen, a lot of people are wary of making personal comments these days, except my friend - v blunt she is :D good and bad!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It depends on how observant your friends are and how your bodyfat is distributed. People are really pretty stupid in this area. Don't base your self-perception on what others do or don't think. Take progress pics, measurements plus the scales and judge for yourself! Congrats on the losses!
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Who cares, Do it for you. People who have succeeded did so once they learned to depend on themselves, And do it for themselves. Can you notice? Do you feel better? Then keep on keeping on.

This is my thought process too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    tomfharris wrote: »
    Hi Guys, new to the forums. My name is Tom and I am a PT in the UK. I run a website www.thefitnessgypsy.co.uk with loads of free training and dietary advice. I also do online training and personalised meal plans. Very happy to help out with questions on here too. Please see my bio picture for my own personal transformation. All the best,
    Tom

are you just spamming every thread with this!?
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    oehlers wrote: »
    I agree that you shouldn't worry about what others think. And I know everyone will have different opinions about this but I tend to share with those around me that I'm on a diet and my progress. I want my coworkers to know not to tempt me with goodies and to support me when I am making healthy choices. It also helps to keep me accountable.

This 100% for me. I knew that if I didn't tell anyone I was consciously working on my weight, temptation would be harder to resist. But just knowing that my colleagues can see what I'm eating, that I will have to look at all the food I'm putting in my face through MFP is a pretty good reason for me to think twice.

There's also a pressure put on others when you expect notice from them. There are so many reasons those around you might not mention anything: maybe it doesn't show much, maybe they're worried about other things and frankly not paying that much attention to you, maybe they don't want to say anything in case the change wasn't intentional, maybe watching your journey challenges them in ways they don't like. We can't know any of this. Relying on external validation is a sure-fire way to be disappointed and possibly poison those relationships. Even though my colleagues know I'm making different choices than I was before, that's all I really need. If they notice I'm wearing pencil skirts with the top tucked in (!!!!) cool, if not, cool. I know how big that choice was for me, that'll do.
  • batters1964
    batters1964 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    mcmoff wrote: »
    I think people notice, but don't say anything. My older friends, those that have struggled with their own weight for years said something to me at about 30 pounds loss. A few of the younger people I work with mentioned it when I was at 40 lbs gone. But I can tell if someone notices by the look I get - I can see it in their eyes - that started to happen when I had lost about 25 lbs.

I agree. It took me losing 70lbs before anyone said anything, but then I found out later that they had noticed way before but didn't know how to approach me with it.

That's really interesting. I've lost just over 60 lbs in the past 9 months and only 3 people have said anything to me about it. However I was morbidly obese and am still obese, so perhaps it's not so noticeable
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It takes a while, especially if you're really big. Also, we lose weight internally as well (meaning the fat that's crowding our organs) so you'll feel it before you see it on the scale and you'll see it before other people will. You gotta have patience.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    How many kilos will it take for the world to see that I'm losing weight? The scale is showing yea I myself know but people are not noticing any difference. Even when I ask "did I lose weight" They reply with "No you look the same" . That's so annoying. Bruhh

So why are you asking people if you get annoyed at the answers?

Frankly, asking people just makes you look like an attention hog.

I just wanted to know if the person thinks I'm losing cause personally I don't trust scale. I have a feeling that I'm gaining

Depending on your workout, you might be replacing fat with muscle. Contrary to popular belief, muscle does NOT weight more than fat; five lbs is five lbs no matter which way you slice it. <i>However</i>, 5lbs of muscle takes up way less space than 5lbs of fat does.