I burnt 5,500 calories in one day... my NSV!!!

Options
Faery_Dust
Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
Sounds excessive right? Well yeah it is. But is was during a charity challenge that I signed up to six months ago. A number of years back I lost my nan to Alzheimers. Anyone who has lost someone to this knows what a terrible disease it is.

I support the charity Alzheimers Society and while on their site I saw a link for a charity event they were doing. The Yorkshire 3 Peak event. This is a 26 mile trek which goes over the top of the highest three mountains in Yorkshire. I figured I had 6 months to train so I signed up!

Well..... the problem with working full time and having two young kids is that training for a 25 mile trek isn't exactly easy. While I did walk around 250 miles in the last couple of months, it was all 3 miles here.... 5 miles there. Absolutely useless for this kind of challenge lol. I did lose 40lbs for the challenge but am still a long way from goal. Just for reference here is my before pic. I hate this pic lol. I still have another 50lbs to go to my goal but am almost half way there!!

b4_zps80349155.jpg

So yesterday morning at 4.30am I get up and drive to the village for the start. The rain was pouring down and by 4 miles my "waterproof" boots weren't so waterproof!!

The first peak is Pen Y Ghent and you go up the steep side, along the back and down the easier side. It's a bit of a scramble to the top and I am afraid of heights but the weather was so bad the steep drops couldn't even be seen lol. Here's the mountain on a better day lol.

Penyghent_zps3d060071.jpg

Then comes the "easy" bit. A 7 mile walk from the first to the second mountain. It's supposed to be easy however the previous rain (which had stopped but left me and my boots soaking wet!) has caused problems with rivers and bogs so the terrain was very tough going.

The second peak Whernside is one serious slog up a huge hill. Just a continuous up hill walk... never seeming to end.... takes forever and really saps the energy from your legs. The route down is even worse, just a steep rocky decline. Here's Whernside.

whernside_zpsfca3b001.jpg

After that the weather improved and I actually ended up getting sunburn. In spite of putting dry socks on, as my boots were still wet the blisters started. Today I have a total of 8 blisters, all right underneath my toes!!!

The less said about the last peak Ingleborough the better to be honest. It was horrible. I cried. Every inch of my body hurt, not even half way up and I was sat down crying thinking I couldn't go on but couldn't face giving up. I eventually got up and did it. Every single step of the steep incline up and the rocky uneven steep decline down caused me pain. My legs felt like lead and my back was on fire. Here's Ingleborough.

Ingleborough_zps7e4ad649.jpg

But I did it!! The 5 mile walk back to the start point was horrid and painful but knowing that I could hold my head up high and say I had done it was amazing. People were clapping as we walked back through the village over the finish line, and I felt so so proud of myself. 10 hours and 40 minutes...a respectable time.... it felt like a lifetime though lol.

me_zps928097a8.jpg

I wasn't actually surprised when I found out my calorie burn for the day was over 5,500 lol. Ironically though the one day I could pig out and I was too tired to do it. I got back to my B&B and tried to go for pizza for but halfway through it was too tired. I just needed to sleep.

Seriously though if anyone has any tips to ease aching muscles I would much appreciate it! I can hardly walk today, I am hoping it will ease as I am back to work tomorrow. I can hardly walk up and down the steps!!

Replies

• maggiecamilo
    maggiecamilo Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! Keep going..
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Amazing job!!! Congrats on finishing, and the blisters sound horrible. But, it was for a good cause, and you can say you did it. As for sore muscles, try to eat foods rich in potassium (bananas, coconut water, spinach, etc.) and some nice warm baths. And of course a glass of wine wouldn't hurt either. :laugh:
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    This is crazy impressive. Congrats!
  • sigalsirkin
    sigalsirkin Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well done, you look incredible. Have a hot bath, it will soothe your aching muscles.
  • kdmervin
    kdmervin Posts: 42
    Options
    Amazing! Absolutely amazing! Congratulations, you should be very proud.
  • JohnMessmer
    JohnMessmer Posts: 536
    Options
    As for sore muscles, try to eat foods rich in potassium (bananas, coconut water, spinach, etc.) and some nice warm baths.

This for the sore muscles, and Congratulations!! That is quite an accomplishment.
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Great job, and awesome perseverance! The pain is temporary, but the feeling of accomplishment you must have, and the pride I imagine you feel in honoring your nan's fight will be with you forever. :)
  • GCanha
    GCanha Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful accomplishment! You should feel extremely proud of yourself- you never gave up! I hope the soreness eases up for you soon! Will you be doing it again next year? :tongue:
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations on this huge accomplishment!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    wow, you are amazing! I recently did a challenge where I climbed a mountain three times in one week so I can't imagine doing 3 mountains in one day. AND walking from one to the other as well. Wow!!

For the sore muscles I would also suggest a bath with some epsom salts (I have never used them but I have heard loads of people recommend them). It also might be a good idea to go for a very gentle walk today to stretch out the muscles a bit to avoid them still being really sore tomorrow.
  • Faery_Dust
    Options
    What a wonderful accomplishment! You should feel extremely proud of yourself- you never gave up! I hope the soreness eases up for you soon! Will you be doing it again next year? :tongue:

Thank you so much everyone :)

I had to laugh at this as my first words once over the finish line were...... "never again"!! lol.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Awesome job!! I would suggest soaking in a hot bath, Epsom salts help to soothe sore muscles, give that a try!
  • just_me_mindy
    just_me_mindy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    wow thats amazing and such a great cause. Good for you!!!!
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    That's really amazing!!

I'm proud of you, you're an awesome person to do this.

BRAVO!

:heart:
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Most impressive! That's some amazing stuff right there!
  • BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You are a hero....seriously.....there are people who have been "in shape" their whole lives who wouldn't have attempted that. I know you feel like death warmed over, but this accomplishment will always be with you. No one can ever take that victory from you. I think you're awesome! :glasses:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Wow - what an amazing feat especially with the weather we have had the last few days. I bet you feel amazing ( well except the aches) and on top of an amazing physical; challenge you have also raised money for charity.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you!!!! I'm sure I'll be experiencing much of the same as I try to finish the Tough Mudder Seattle in October...10-12 miles of muddy obstacle course over mountainous terrain. I'm just hoping to finish....lol.

Rest, eat, reset! You did great!!!
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Thank you so much everyone :)

I had to laugh at this as my first words once over the finish line were...... "never again"!! lol.

You will soon forget the pain and I'd put money on you doing it again next year! It's like childbirth. If we remembered the pain NO ONE would have more than 1. What an amazing accomplishment! Congratulations!
  • Faery_Dust
    Options
    Congratulations to you!!!! I'm sure I'll be experiencing much of the same as I try to finish the Tough Mudder Seattle in October...10-12 miles of muddy obstacle course over mountainous terrain. I'm just hoping to finish....lol.

Rest, eat, reset! You did great!!!

I've seen the tough mudder! It looks insane lol.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!