Rice cookers?

Options
13»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think I spent $30 on one 4 years ago and it still works... I don't use it too terribly often though. Maybe once every couple weeks depending on our meals.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    wenrob wrote: »
    skouar11 wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    Are rice cookers something that you have to spend a lot of money on or are they all pretty much created equal?
    Don't buy a rice cooker instead invest in a pressure cooker I have cooked essential. You can make everything in one pot from rice to soups and stews and chilis I absolutely love it. Also you can make rice in 6min compare it to 20 min or more in the rice cooker.
    Meh. I have an Instant Pot that I love but I held onto my rice cooker. The Instant Pot just doesn't do a good enough job on rice IMO. I belong to a couple of groups and rice seems to be a consistent fail on a daily basis. Plus you're talking almost double the price vs a decent rice pot and we have no idea if the OP is into pressure cooking or not.

same here...but because I'm often using both at the same time (rice in the rice cooker, dried beans in the pressure cooker). The rice cookers also have convenient markings inside for water level per 180mL 'cups' of dried rice.

ETA: theoretically I could do both together, but I usually don't want to play the "how much water do I need to add?" game.

ETA_2: mine was pretty cheap I think, and non-stick. It was years ago - I don't remember how much.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I bought a 16 cup (yes I know that is very large) Aroma rice cooker 15 years ago and I still use it. It came with a steaming tray. Which makes it big enough to steam vegetables or meats while it cooks the rice. I typically will use it to make meals for a week at a time. Great investment if you like to steam food.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    If you are only making white rice, get something cheap from Target. When we graduated to brown rice, I got a reconditioned Panasonic from ebay with a super heavy duty inner pot. It's also got a timer. Worth its weight in gold !!!