Need help... ANY help!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• belleflop
    belleflop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    If you always look for motivation from others you end up doing nothing for yourself. As others have mentioned, motivation isn't a thing. My guess is you are unhappy and fearful of failure if you try to change. So you build up internal excuses and get really good at making them. Teach yourself to embrace the fear of failure, conquer it, understand failure is the main path to success. Weight loss is and maintaining weight loss is mostly a mental challenge in the long run. Get your head right and the body will follow.
  • boredloser
    boredloser Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It's basically "do or do not". I'm terrible with motivation, and I would really love to do nothing but lounge on the couch all day. I was going to yesterday but then I forced myself to take my dog a walk to and around the park (just under 2 miles). I was glad I did it, because according to my fitbit I had burned 400+ calories, which was great.

I'd recommend a fitbit if you don't have one already. I got my first one in 2014 and wore it everywhere, it motivated me to walk just for the sake of it. The built in challenges were pretty fun to take part in too. I with almost daily walks between 5000-10,000 steps and some bike rides during the summer (Scotland doesn't get many days where I could go out), I ended up losing 50lbs, and when I stopped going these walks I started getting unmotivated, feeling less energy and started over eating again gradually because I wasn't doing anything else.

If you have a phone or MP3, get some music playing and get out walking! :)
  • CampLondon
    CampLondon Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am going to follow my sport leagues while I do weekly weigh ins and record my results on graph paper. My first week I was down 6 lbs.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Minkgirl wrote: »
    5 foot 5 inch female, 32 years old, 196 lbs....

I want to lose weight! But, I can't seem to motivate myself....

Setting goals (even small ones) doesn't help.

Buying "cleaner" foods doesn't help (They end up rotting in my fridge...)

Getting equipment and/or Games/DVDs for cardio doesn't help (they eventually start collecting dust after a week....)

Motivation is a key factor. I feel I'd rather lay around than move my lazy butt around. And it doesn't help when the people around me, while meaning well, say things that enable my behavior.... "You're allowed to relax yourself!" "Treat yourself to some sweets once in awhile!" <---define "once in awhile" please.......

Is it all in my mind? Am I preventing myself from reaching my goals? What am I saying, of course I am!!!! >_<

So how do I break this lifestyle? I do I commit? Is it all just a matter of forcing myself?

At this point, I seriously need a drill sergeant.....
    I had a girlfriend who, for years, asked me to motivate her, kick her butt if she "fell off the wagon" etc. etc. My answer always was and always will be that the only person who can do that is you. I'm pretty sure she spent a couple years being fully pissed off at me because I "wouldn't help her." You need to find your "why" and when that starts slipping you have to push through anyway. This isn't on anybody but you. Losing weight is actually relatively easy, it's the mental aspect that needs to be dealt with and only you can do that. That friend? It finally clicked with her. She went out, busted her butt and stayed the course. She's down 42lbs.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    This doesn't require a massive overhaul of your lifestyle, just small changes that add up over time. A good start is to tally up your current calories to get an idea of where you are right now.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I always wanted to lose weight but always listed the barriers to a healthy lifestyle. Finally It clicked. I saw a picture of myself which was brutal to see. I had to buy new clothes because my old wouldn't fit. I had to buy a size bigger and let me tell you none of it was my "style" just my size. I hit a low then decided it was up to me. I have scheduled in gym time. I treat it like work. I have to go even if I don't want to. I don't enjoy it but I do it. I hope to enjoy the benefits soon. I hope to set my kids on a good path so they don't end up where I did. To stay motivated I have the horrendous pic of myself hanging next to a pic of me at my best. It looks like 2 different people.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I am unable to add the excellent, sound advice you have been given.
    In my walk of some years, I have learned this journey is not linear. You go forward and backward.
    Every time you fall over you must pick yourself up and keep going. It's not motivation that drives, but a determination and that despite our failures, we forgive ourselves, we learn, we grow and keep pushing.
    In my walk. Discipline has been forged from my failures.
    You can do this. Just push!