Professional Help?

Options
Polo265
Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I've seen several posts on this forum suggesting professional help is needed for various food issues - I'm
not talking about anorexia or bulimia . While I agree that professional help may be the needed in some of these food issues and also that we lay people are not equipped to deal with such possible disorders, I just have to vent and say that this makes me sad. MOST of us cannot seek professional help for eating disorders, even though we know we have them, because it's likely cost prohibitive or maybe embarrassing. I had a rather comparatively small eating disorder in that I would get up in the middle of the night to eat. I would wake up out of a sound sleep and have to eat. My choice was anything carbs. I would eat chips, toast, crackers, etc., to excess before I could fall asleep. I've sort of solved my issue, but I can't imagine seeking professional help. I am sad for those folks that can't solve their food issues.

Replies

• eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    Polo265 wrote: »
    I've seen several posts on this forum suggesting professional help is needed for various food issues - I'm
    not talking about anorexia or bulimia . While I agree that professional help may be the needed in some of these food issues and also that we lay people are not equipped to deal with such possible disorders, I just have to vent and say that this makes me sad. MOST of us cannot seek professional help for eating disorders, even though we know we have them, because it's likely cost prohibitive or maybe embarrassing. I had a rather comparatively small eating disorder in that I would get up in the middle of the night to eat. I would wake up out of a sound sleep and have to eat. My choice was anything carbs. I would eat chips, toast, crackers, etc., to excess before I could fall asleep. I've sort of solved my issue, but I can't imagine seeking professional help. I am sad for those folks that can't solve their food issues.

So you "sort of" solved your issues and yet you display a rather superior attitude towards those who seek help? You think it's embarrassing to seek help? Seeking help shows strength, accountability, and a desire to be better. There is nothing at all wrong with it. I don't think the people you feel sad for need or want your pity. Get off your high horse.

ETA - as far as help being cost prohibitive, there are always options for help out there and many times professional help is on a sliding scale.

Not necessarily, depending on what country you live in, what providers are in your area, and what your insurance coverage is like.

• amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options

So you "sort of" solved your issues and yet you display a rather superior attitude towards those who seek help? You think it's embarrassing to seek help? Seeking help shows strength, accountability, and a desire to be better. There is nothing at all wrong with it. I don't think the people you feel sad for need or want your pity. Get off your high horse.

ETA - as far as help being cost prohibitive, there are always options for help out there and many times professional help is on a sliding scale.

Amen!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    eyer0ll wrote: »

Not necessarily, depending on what country you live in, what providers are in your area, and what your insurance coverage is like.

Noted, but that doesn't justify a superior attitude towards those that make the choice to seek professional help.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    eyer0ll wrote: »

Noted, but that doesn't justify a superior attitude towards those that make the choice to seek professional help.

Agreed. 100%.
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use to wake in the middle of the night and need sugar. Anything cookie or chocolate related I would devour. Hundreds and hundreds of calories worth sometimes. It has been awhile since I've been through such a phase but I remember the feeling of "I have to eat" being strong. This happened less over night and more in the evenings this past year. I attributed mine to a deficiency in my diet because when I'm eating clean and healthy I don't have these binge urges even though my calorie consumption is half what it was then. I think unless someone has experienced these types of uncontrollable urges, they couldn't truly understand how debilitating they can feel.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Sometimes, like on a "Help I'm addicted to sugar!" thread, when posters suggest professional help I think they are being flip.

The majority of the time I see professional help recommended I think the intent is sincere and l agree with it. It's usually because the person's thinking appears disordered. The MFP forums cannot help with that.

We wouldn't want anyone to suffer with chronic pain or an abusive spouse; why would we want them to suffer with a bad relationship with food?

I didn't seek professional help with food because I already learned the cognitive behavioral tools I needed when I abused alcohol. Food can actually be harder to deal with than booze - one can abstain from booze forever, but not food.

Would you stigmatize someone who got professional help for a drinking problem? If not, why stigmatize someone who sought help for self-medicating with food? My brother has a thought disorder and his medication has been life saving. Someone who has disordered thinking around food should not be stigmatized for seeking help. Its probably less likely to kill them than my brother's condition if untreated, but will certainly adversely effect their quality of life.

Plus, there's the whole thing where some eating disorders are egosyntonic -- to the person who has it, or the behaviors, they feel right and natural. (Bulimia and BED, not so much -- largely the restrictive behaviors.) What's going to let someone get "better" on their own when they're convinced that what they are doing is the right thing?

So should someone have disordered eating behavior forever, until they're forced into treatment?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP I think it's sad that you think utilizing a therapist is embarrassing and sad. Why shouldn't people seek help moving past mental roadblocks that hold them back in any area of their lives if that help is available?