Maintaining Calorie Goal eating MREs while on disaster response

Options
I'm in a unique situation. I'm trying to maintain my daily calorie goal of 1640 calories. However, I've just learned that I'm being sent out on Emergency Response for disaster recovery in southeast Texas. The problem is that the food available to responders are MREs. These pack a whopping 2000 calories! Does anyone have any suggestions for non-perishable foods that I can take with me to eat in place of the provided MREs? Or should I just accept that it's beyond my control for two weeks and try to get back on track afterward? I would really hate to turn my nose up at the MREs because that would just be ungrateful.

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    MREs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner?!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Stay safe!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This is a good way to practice portion control. You don't have to eat the whole thing. 2000 for one day seems reasonable to me but if you're given three a day, leave some on the plate (or in the container.)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Be safe and thank you!!
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    You'll be a lot more active than you are now, and you'll probably want every calorie. Give it a a couple of days before you start trading out food. Keep safe, and thank you!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I just started eating MRE's yesterday (old stock and have to get rid of). they taste pretty good. You can just option out of the cookie or desert they provide. It might be higher in fat than you may like but you will be burning the cals so no problem. Good luck!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Thank you for helping in this time of great need.

If you're on MREs in a disaster deployment situation, that means you're in the field, right? There's almost no way you're going to gain weight on them, and likely you will lose some regardless (unless you're sitting at a table registering people for aid or something). Disaster response is incredibly physically demanding. Eat your food, you'll need the nutrition. Worry about your diet later. I'm speaking from experience here :smile:
  • Cristjams
    Cristjams Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The 2000 calorie is what our managers told us. They had mentioned that some responders actually gained weight after their assignment due to the MREs being designed for active young men who required more calories. I'm not exactly sure of the level of activity since I have yet received my specific assignment. But I'm in environmental cleanup, so it could range from heavy work to mostly standing and directing debris management sites. It's hard to anticipate the calories that might be burned! But thank you all for help, I'll pack some things and just avoid eating too much of the pouch unless it's obvious that my calorie burn will be enough to offset!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Cristjams wrote: »
    The 2000 calorie is what our managers told us. They had mentioned that some responders actually gained weight after their assignment due to the MREs being designed for active young men who required more calories. I'm not exactly sure of the level of activity since I have yet received my specific assignment. But I'm in environmental cleanup, so it could range from heavy work to mostly standing and directing debris management sites. It's hard to anticipate the calories that might be burned! But thank you all for help, I'll pack some things and just avoid eating too much of the pouch unless it's obvious that my calorie burn will be enough to offset!

Wait and see what you actually be doing... If it's the more manual-type work, eat everything. If you're doing something more sedentary, then pick items that you won't eat that will put you closer to your goals and offer them off to someone else who might need them.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The "2000 calorie" myth is, and always has been, misinformation. What always bothered me is that anybody who actually picks up one of these MREs should have been able to dispel that false belief simply by reading the packaging. It has never been true, yet for some reason it persists.

Just read the package. It's right there in black and brown.

You can safely eat 2 full MREs per day without worry of putting on weight, and will confidence that they've been specifically engineered to provide all the macro and micro nutrients you need to function. The DoD puts millions of dollars of research into this.