Adding calories to meals

Options
2»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Do you not like peanut butter? A peanut butter sandwich can be 300 calories or more if needed. 2 slices of bread (100 cals each) and 1 tbsp PB (100 cals). This would be easy to add to your morning. Or, cut it in half and eat half in the morning and half at night.

If I needed to add calories -- which has never, ever been an issue for me, I would eat JIF whipped peanut butter by the jar. Sadly, it can't come home with me for just that reason.
  • JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time reaching the 1200 calorie goal. I am easily 100-300 beneath it. I eat a lot of vegetables the majority of the week (300-500g/day) and I just simply feel stuffed.

I've read on many forums that maintaining below 1200 calories can have long term negative effects, but does it count as malnourished if you eat carbs, enough protein and a lot of vegetables? I have never been a huge eater, I only gained weight because I ate high caloric food, especially candy, and did no exercise.

Should I perhaps cook the food in such a way to up the calories? I can't really see how adding an extra bit of butter, cheese or whatever would help with nutrients though. Or should I just accept that my healthy days would be low in calories, and my possible cheat days could exist of rich food? I don't have particular cheat days, but social events do happen.

I'm 1.6m (5'3'') and currently weigh 87kg (191lbs)

My question is, how do you weigh as much as you do when you never even reach 1200kcal/day? Something isn't adding up. You may not be measuring your foods correctly, or simply not logging them at all. :neutral: hope this helps.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    This is a problem I do not have! I do like rich, complex and gourmet foods, unlike the OP.

You could add fruit and nuts to your yogurt. Nuts and avocado would probably be the best option, since you want to eat healthy. Sweet potato, plaintains, carrots and some other starchy vegetables too. Do you eat eggs? A boiled egg or omelette (with vegetables and avocado!) for breakfast would add some calories. Beans, lentils and peas are other plant foods you could add if you aren't already eating them.

I'm a little bit taller than the OP, and I just can't eat that much salad and vegetables--can't digest them. I will drink a fresh vegetable juice in addition to having a couple of portions of vegetables each day. I think it is quite easy to fill up on vegetables and then be unable to eat anything else.
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks for all the advice and information. Last night I've experienced excruciating pain in my one side and other stuff, and realized I must have ovary cysts again. The last time I had it (a few years ago), I experienced water mass gain and couldn't lose weight. This morning I lost 2.2 lbs, and although feeling nauseous and eeky, I am glad to know I figured out why I am not losing weight. I'll visit my doctor soon.

As for peanut butter - to be honest I forgot it existed. Haven't had it in my house for years, and since I live so far I buy things in bulk and just...passed it, I suppose. I will up my calories by enriching the food. I honestly don't want to live on 1200 because it's no fun, you will definitely come across more high caloric food when you eat out or attend social meetings, and I don't want to be limited by it. I'll just adapt my very plain eating habits at home a little.