Options
124»

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    ecjim wrote: »
    Serious question. I live in the North aka, Canada. We don't have hurricanes, but I still have water, batteries and propane on hand and even a water purifier. How can people just be chilling and looking to get the essentials now. Shouldn't that have been done a few days ago? I've been watching this thing for almost a week now.
    And why aren't people leaving? Why didn't people vacate before Harvey?

I really am having a hard time to understand.

The news broadcasts like to sensationalize things. There have been many trucks going South in Fla with supplies . The large stores Walmart, Home Depot, Rural King etc have been all getting shipments - I was at a Rural King the other day at 6 AM and they were unloading a supply of generators.
    Many people wait until the storm is approaching to get they supplies instead of stocking before hand.
    also this storm is a big bad one & is going to tear things up & folks may be panicking a bit - Eastcoast Jim

Also, there's a huge margin of error to the predicted track. So often the news will hype up a hurricane a week away, then a week later we just get some clouds and really good surfing as it passes a few hundred miles off the coast. We get kind of jaded to all the warnings that never pan out. It's a boy who cried wolf sort of phenomenon.

Yep that is true too - I don't pay a lot of attention to the warnings - this one I did and so is everyone else - Eastcoast Jim
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Be safe everyone. Prayers from the Northeast!
    arlgs3aykvlc.png
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Serious question. I live in the North aka, Canada. We don't have hurricanes, but I still have water, batteries and propane on hand and even a water purifier. How can people just be chilling and looking to get the essentials now. Shouldn't that have been done a few days ago? I've been watching this thing for almost a week now.
    And why aren't people leaving? Why didn't people vacate before Harvey?

I really am having a hard time to understand.

The news broadcasts like to sensationalize things. There have been many trucks going South in Fla with supplies . The large stores Walmart, Home Depot, Rural King etc have been all getting shipments - I was at a Rural King the other day at 6 AM and they were unloading a supply of generators.
    Many people wait until the storm is approaching to get they supplies instead of stocking before hand.
    also this storm is a big bad one & is going to tear things up & folks may be panicking a bit - Eastcoast Jim

Also, there's a huge margin of error to the predicted track. So often the news will hype up a hurricane a week away, then a week later we just get some clouds and really good surfing as it passes a few hundred miles off the coast. We get kind of jaded to all the warnings that never pan out. It's a boy who cried wolf sort of phenomenon.

Yep that is true too - I don't pay a lot of attention to the warnings - this one I did and so is everyone else - Eastcoast Jim

Same here. This is the first time in maybe 7 or 8 years I actually put boards up. We also scored a generator and enough fuel to keep our kitchen running for about 30 hours.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    stay safe everyone. i will keep you all i my prayers
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm faring well thankfully and so is my family. I happened to have a ton of non-perishables with me, so I didn't need to stock up. Also, my university's dorms are pretty safe, so I'm not terribly worried for when the storm hits tomorrow, I also couldn't find water, but my floormates did, so if the water on my floor stops running or gets contaminated, I'll be fine. I'm still hitting my macros and working out though.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Me, telling myself to stop eating hurricane snacks

CfUs2O5UkAAQqVO.jpg
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    We had a category 4 here and we evacuated. I was here in a 1 and that was fun but a 4 or 5 no way!
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    why not evacuate?

We were not in an evacuation zone. So we chose to stay. I've lived in FL my entire life & ive been through many a hurricane.
  • jruch23
    jruch23 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Good right now, the storm isn't supposed to get bad til about 6
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    jruch23 wrote: »
    Good right now, the storm isn't supposed to get bad til about 6

What area are you in?
  • jruch23
    Options
    Tampa area....I was able to board up half my place with aluminum siding yesterday thanks to my neighbor having extra left over. The trees around here make me nervous though. There's a tall pine tree right by me and my parents have 2 big oak trees in their front yard. Not raining hard yet here, an occasional gust once in a while. What about you?
  • Gaygirl2120
    Options
    jruch23 wrote: »
    Tampa area....I was able to board up half my place with aluminum siding yesterday thanks to my neighbor having extra left over. The trees around here make me nervous though. There's a tall pine tree right by me and my parents have 2 big oak trees in their front yard. Not raining hard yet here, an occasional gust once in a while. What about you?

South FL/Fort Lauderdale. It's so ugly right now.
  • jruch23
    Options
    Praying for your safety! This storm is no joke! And heard Jose upgraded to a 4 too...
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Fine in Vero. Some trees down. Still a lot of people without power. Mine was off only 24 hours, which I'm super impressed with.

9crj6yldj15c.jpg
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    Fine in Vero. Some trees down. Still a lot of people without power. Mine was off only 24 hours, which I'm super impressed with.

Is there gas? Still haven't heard of our house in sebastian has power!!