How do you all do it?

Options
124»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    How do you all stay on track for long periods of time. I was doing good for a few days then today happened. 2 sandwiches on white bread with processed lunch meat processed cheese and mayo. Then half a bag of crispers and half a tube of pringles. Now my bp is up and making my head screwy.

It happens every time i have a few good days and my bp comes down just a few points and i start to feel better then i do days like today.

How do you all keep on track. Please no smart remarks I know I messed up just looking for advice to not make it happen again.

@bigguygettingskinny as you can read everyone does it their own way.

In my case I am just sticking with my LCHF WOE that cuts out foods that add sugar or any form of grain as I have been doing for the past three years. In short I do not eat highly processed food. Without any math involved I just had my annual physical and the nurse commented that my weight was the same as it was 12 months ago right down to the ounce. It shocked me too.

I have maintained without counting or preplanning for over two years now and stayed in the 195-210 pound range staying stuffed daily. At age 66 I have the best lab reports, general health and the lowest pain levels in decades. I still walk 1/4 of a mile daily to keep my blood flowing well.

You will find the way that works for you in time I am sure. Best of continued success.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    cmtigger wrote: »
    As with everything in life, it becomes easier the longer you do it. That being said, I screw up frequently. " Log it and move on."
    Now-- you-- need to be careful with your salt intake apparently. Buy low sodium chips and lunch meat.

Sodium doesn't cause high blood pressure. That's a really bad rumor that is deeply ingrained.

Actually it can make it worse. If your doctor tells you to eat low sodium do it. Many people have been able to reduce or eliminate their use of high blood pressure meds through reducing sodium in their diets.

To tell someone on a doctor ordered diet to ignore it is a horrible thing to do.

New research says otherwise.

Plus, doctors aren't really knowledgeable on that. They just parrot what they were taught.

I went to a doctor in the past 2 years that was explaining to me about set-point theory. Hahaha. What a dork. Couldn't get out of his office fast enough.

Look, the sodium thing is absolutely indoctrinated into us. But, that doesn't mean that's what causes hypertension.

There is no evidence that sodium causes hypertension. There is evidence that a person with hypertension can reduce it if they reduce their sodium intake.

I'm going to trust doctors with medical degrees. Multiple doctors. Over one doctor who has produced a study that nobody outside of his organization has been able to replicate and random people on the internet.

Ok. Good for you. Still doesn't make them right. They are wrong a lot about many things. They are like you and I. They read things, read studies, talk to others. They understand what they were taught, but that's not all correct and changes often.

Do what you want, I'm just saying there a new significant study that suggests that they're wrong about the causes of hypertension. Stay away from salt. Don't eat fat. Watch out for the bogey man. And pray to a made up deity. I don't care. I'm just telling you that I think it's wrong, and this information is soon going to be a thing. In about 10 years, it will be laughable that we worried about sodium.

Whatever.

Please show me the study that shows that lowering sodium does not make a difference in those who already have hypertension or kidney issues.

The only one I know of only studied people without hypertension and has not had the results repeated by a different institution.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I think it's ok to eat like that sometimes. Don't feel so bad about bad meals, then you just want to give up and feel like a failure. Just balance it out the next day with healthier choices. I over eat on pure junk food and snacks sometimes. (Last night I binged on chips, gummi bears, red vines, ect - over 800 calories worth!) But I move on and focus on healthy meals the following day. I went jogging first thing in the morning and ate super healthy today. I don't regret it and I will probably do it again soon. It's really not that bad..
  • drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    All of this advice is so helpful. I too mess up more than I wish I would. I know what makes me overeat or eat the wrong things and the more I try to address those the more likely I am to stay on track. If I have been to restrictive then I am likely to say "screw it--I deserve this __________" OR if I have not adequately prepped snacks or meals, that is likely to derail me. I do well when I prep overnight oats for breakfast and cut up some veggies for snacking. I also keep some yogurts and some healthy frozen stuff at work in case I forget to bring a lunch. I try to have healthy quick things to eat too since some days I don't get a lunch break. If I am tired I tend to make lousy choices too. So much of what I eat has very little to do with actual nutrition. All the posters who talked about making room for small portions of things you like are also spot on. It is really hard for me to let go of all or nothing thinking, like--I can either have an entire bag of chips or NO chips for the rest of my life. I know it's ridiculous, but there it is. Good luck and as many others have said, keep making better choices--they add up.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    How do you all stay on track for long periods of time. I was doing good for a few days then today happened. 2 sandwiches on white bread with processed lunch meat processed cheese and mayo. Then half a bag of crispers and half a tube of pringles. Now my bp is up and making my head screwy.

It happens every time i have a few good days and my bp comes down just a few points and i start to feel better then i do days like today.

How do you all keep on track. Please no smart remarks I know I messed up just looking for advice to not make it happen again.

No one does it every day. Life happens to all of us. However, if I eat anything that makes me feel this bad, it is easy to never eat it again. There's no food worth being sick for.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Day 3 is always the hardest for me. It's like my "withdraw" kicks in fill force. You just kind of have to power through it. It gets easier. Even then you have to allow for life. Like today... My roommate said "wine" and then wine was followed by some grilled cheese. Whoops!! Lol. But that's life. I no longer crave chips and sweets looks I used to. I also know my triggers though (drinking!!!). So if I don't do that I don't overeat. It takes some work and a lot of "restarts". It does help of you don't look at this as a diet, rather a lifestyle change. If its not a diet, you can't cheat and you can't fail. Helps me allot.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    As for you bp.. idk about you, but I'm lazy. If it's not in the house I'm unlikely to go out to buy it. So if there are no chips here I don't eat them for no other reason then I can't. So if it is something that affects that, don't buy it.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said - don't expect to be perfect, and don't let a bump in the road derail you completely. And learn to forgive yourself - even better, don't make yourself feel like there's anything to forgive in the first place. It took me a long while to really understand this.

You are a normal human with a normal life and as long as you are picking away at it and pointed in the right direction, you'll be okay :blush: