Bogus calories and macros in database

Options
124»

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    RivenV wrote: »
    You guise. The database doesn't work for OP. That means it's just got to go. Simple as that. All you people who have had success are just MFP shills riding on high horses.

ONE SINGLE PERSON IS HAVING DIFFICULTY, so let's nuclear option the entire site. Makes perfect sense.

harsh-man-harsh-thumb.jpg
  • De_Little_Engine
    De_Little_Engine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I scan where possible and use USDA in the search as a default. 20% error?? Doubt it but if so live with it. This is a results driven journey...if you are starting to fit into your skinny jeans and feel better then you are Ok. If not review.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    When i first started logging it was a tad time consuming to find the accurate entries, but after a while i had all of my regular foods listed so they were all there at a click of a button. I tend to eat/rotate the same foods/recipes so i rarely have to look up new foods.

I buy my meat from the butcher, so no nutritional info on a label, and i buy my fruit n veg from the fruit and veg shop, again no nutritional info/label. I've managed just fine.

ETA: When in doubt, i go here https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search

• LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I do understand what you are saying though. Everyone is always advising others to weigh your food to be sure you are accurate on portion size. But if the calorie database of foods are inaccurate then being accurate on measuring is rather moot. Then we are told to only aim for a 500 calorie deficit, but are told that the exercise calories are over estimated. Sometimes it feels like you are throwing darts.
    That said I consistently have been losing 1.5 to 2 pounds a week.

I didn't mean to sound negative. My point was despite these challenges, I could still lose 1.5 to pounds a week using this app. :)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I look at my earliest entries and cringe at their inaccuracies but guess what? I was still losing weight successfully. Why? Because in the early days when you have so much to lose your accuracy doesn't need to be as accurate to get good results. As you get closer to your goal and then maintenance you have gained to knowledge of finding the most accurate entries. Because of this I never plateaued. Secondly, those entries could be higher or lower than the actual amounts from the USDA database which means it will most likely come close to evening out anyway. I have looked at other apps and can not find one anywhere near to the standard of this one, both with the set up, data entries and the community. In fact, My Plate is probably the most similar app to this and even many in their community use this app for calorie counting but prefer that community as they are mainly a low carb and IF sort out like minded crowd.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    In addition to above great advice regarding label - when you do have to correct it - you can add that ever so useful (XX g) to the serving size.

I know it doesn't matter when actually using the product and you have a scale there and label to look at - but it is nice when an entry mentions the more accurate grams in a serving.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have a lovely vintage book called "The Complete Calorie Counter." It has every food item you could think of and nobody can edit it. If you twisted my arm you could probably convince me to sell it to you for $25.99 + shipping. I might even throw in a pencil and a paper. :smile: